Help!!! How can I spice up my dining space???
Jessica Downer
We have a TINY dining room space in an open concept bungalow. To the right of the table is the front closet and door. To the left is a bar area with a mini china cabinet. The bar then opens up in to the kitchen. My dilemma is with trying to make this area look like more of an obvious, put together dining space rather than just a random table in the living room which is directly in front.

Should I make that wall more formal by adding wall paper?
Should I add white paneling?
I'd appreciate ANY advice!
kattie89
While awkward to have a dining room right in your entry way, if that is what you need the space for, I would suggest an area rug and chandelier to help define the space.

Benches are not comfortable for dining, you may want to invest in some chairs for the whole table.
January 27, 2014 at 5:56pm   
kattie89
I could also see some sort of a panel hanging from that molding in front of the door, but hanging horizontally, maybe 36" long. That would help set off the space visually without being a barrier.
January 27, 2014 at 5:59pm   
Warner Decor
Hi! Your place seems adorable :) I think you need some wall art behind the dining room table where there is an abundance of wall space. Here are some suggestions:
http://www.deciture.com/shop/decor/7/filigree-pattern-wall-panels-set-3/
http://www.deciture.com/shop/decor/9/mirrored-carved-plaque-set-4/
January 27, 2014 at 6:03pm        Thanked by Jessica Downer
Jessica Downer
I agree Katie89. It's very awkward! But we don't utilize the front door which helps.
January 27, 2014 at 6:11pm   
abbyjean
Would a rug help, under the dining table? What about turning the table the other way so the chairs have their back to the door.
January 27, 2014 at 6:15pm     
kattie89
Can you move the bar cabinet to the corner to the right of the door (in the living room) and then move your table to the left more?
January 27, 2014 at 6:18pm   
I'll repeat what I said before:
Like the current colors. I get the impression from that funky ceiling do-dad that there was once a wall separating the foyer/coat closet from the dining room and living area. Replace the builder's special light fixtures. Try a semi-flush drum in the foyer and consider rewiring so you can have a chandy above your dining table once that is purchased.
January 27, 2014 at 6:32pm     
Jessica Downer
The other side of the bar is a breakfast bar with a countertop and kitchen cabinets - so it can't move.
January 27, 2014 at 7:00pm   
Jessica Downer
so no wallpaper??
January 27, 2014 at 7:02pm   
ookie123
Def a rug and lower rectangular chandelier
January 27, 2014 at 7:10pm   
pjlhome
I would define the space with something like the examples below. I would also turn the table as suggested above and change out the light fixtures. The one nearest the door looks a little large for that space. I would replace it with something smaller or maybe a can light like the one below.
January 27, 2014 at 7:10pm     
sunnydrew
can you move the corner china cabinet to that space where the basket is on the floor, under the 2 square pictures. Turn the table lengthwise. If you don't have bar stools at window, then just ignore that space. put a rug under the table and add a hanging light instead, Hang up a large picture/print on the back wall, next to that closet door and your space is defined much better.
January 27, 2014 at 7:14pm   
Clay Aragon
I agree with most of the previous suggestions. Wall art would define your space. Your dining room would definitely benefit from a new light fixture. Here's an example

If you can find a flush mount in the same family for your front entry light even better. I'd be cautious about adding back a divider as you have a fairly small space.
Best of luck!
January 27, 2014 at 8:20pm     
Sigrid
A rug, a table runner and something on the table, with a higher profile. I'd get candlesticks with candles, but a big vase with something in it would work, too. Art on the wall. Cheap art is nicely framed photos you took yourself. I'd get one big one or a set of 3. You can do architecture, botanical, whatever suits your fancy. It doesn't have to be snapshots.
January 27, 2014 at 8:48pm   
Lydia (Kazza Design)
Hi Jessica! Can you move the couch facing the tv to define the two spaces? I like your idea of adding wallpaper - it would make the space its own. This isn't to scale (and I couldn't put wallpaper on the whole wall) but it does give you some ideas on how to enhance the dining room. Mouse over image to enlarge. Have fun!
January 28, 2014 at 4:26pm     
Megan Summer Studios
Since it is a small space, a large mirror with a decorative border behind those chairs would look phenomenal, and make the space look larger than it is. If you want to spend less, get a few panel mirrors and you will accomplish the same thing. Best wishes!

Panel mirrors: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10121252/#/70034916

Large mirror:
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/60178420/
January 28, 2014 at 4:35pm   
sniphy
I also agree to turn table, replace bench with chairs, add rug & chandelier.
The thing on the ceiling is a little odd. Like said above, I also agree to add on to it like a floor to ceiling room divider.
January 28, 2014 at 4:41pm   
jenakeroyd
I would add on to ceiling piece too to make a room divider and then use that wall space and the wall space immediately next to if for a banquette. Buy a round white IKEA dining table and use your two chairs with that banquette seating.
January 28, 2014 at 4:56pm   
Kathleen Jamison
Cute house. Because the space is small I think you feel you have to keep furnishing small...but you do need some impact . Good advice has been posted like the upholstered chair, Light fixture. My thought about the wall paper is ...have you seen the wonderful wall decals...i kinda like the idea a nature motif. Also wonderful modern graphic stencils. You could use same color as the walls only in gloss paint for the pattern.
January 28, 2014 at 5:17pm   
how can i spice up the front of my house?
I was trying to think of what colors and ideas i could...
How can I jazz up the dining area of my kitchen?
We renovated the kitchen of our heritage home (originally...
Spice up my breakfast nook/sit in dining room
While I am waiting for my curtains, I want to make...
Help! How can I brighten up my house!
What color should I paint the shutters and door? Any...
Any recommendations on how to improve the curb appeal of my home
I have a home that I'm moving into and I'm looking...
outside covered patio lounge - What to use to cover a mattress?
Going to use our child's full size mattress and make...
Need help with juliet balcony waterproofing (decorative railing)
I have a bay window and I would like to install a decorative...
Sofa Table - what colour to paint?
I'm adding a sofa table behind my couch (a prior Houzzer...