What's the best tile for a handicap shower? porcelain, travertine?
January 27, 2014 in Design Dilemma
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
Something ANTI-SLIP.
January 28, 2014 at 1:47am   
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
Sharon Charboneau, RESA Pro, Interior Stylist
what is handicap/disability? my husband has Parkinson's disease, which now means not lifting feet & shuffling. Can't have rugs, and tile needs to be smooth surface allowing his shuffle to get him where he needs to be.
January 28, 2014 at 2:41am   
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
Here are some places to look for more ideas and information.
Please take from this whatever is helpful. Best wishes.

1.) Go to Houzz Ideabooks and enter "Universal Design" in the search box.
2.) Go to Houzz.com/Handicap-accessible
3.) Go to Houzz Design Dilemma and enter "handicapped" in the search box.

universal-design'>Universal Design
1.) www.universaldesignstyle.com
2.) www.schaefferconstruction.com specializes in Universal Design

Handicap Access
1.) The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) site has specific measurements for wheelchair turning radius, angle of ramps, handrails, everything.
2.) ADA Ramps: ADA Code 4.8

1.) Consult with a Certified Aging-in-Place Specialist. You can find one through the nahb.org website.
2.) Go to Houzz Professionals and contact Brickwood Builders. They are Certified Aging-in-Place Specialists. (For you other Houzz Professionals who are CAPS, please add your name to this list!)
January 31, 2014 at 11:00am     
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
Deborah Butler, Brickwood Builders
Thank you nasmijati. One of the companies that has a good selection of porcelain tile that has enough surface texture to be safe (but not so much as to hurt one's feet) is Florida Tile. They publish their coefficient of friction on their website for each tile so you know what it is.

I don't believe that I would use travertine in a shower due to the cleaning requirements. I think you will be happier long-term with a porcelain that is easier to maintain.

A certified aging in place specialist (CAPS) in your area can assist you with information. You can locate them through the NAHB.org website. If we can assist further, please contact us.
January 31, 2014 at 11:32am   
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Need help with multi purpose room furniture
I am currently trying to find a company who will construct...
Need help for my small foyer
I really need help with my foyer. It's quite small,...
Thoughts on rendering of our house plan?
This is first draft so we are mulling it over. We want...
Change paint color?
My kitchen has been this color since we moved in 12...
Please help me tie my room together!
Hi everyone! I've been decorating my living room and...
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2014 Houzz Inc.
Houzz® The new way to design your home™