Need help with curb appeal. :)
Jennifer Hill
January 27, 2014 in Design Dilemma
Suggestions or ideas?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nwduck
Honestly, I think your home is quite attractive. What is there about it you don't like? Color? Shutters? Porch? Landscape?
January 27, 2014 at 8:32PM     
Tim C.
plant some Impatient flowers around the ends of the landscape. Your shrubs are crowded as well perhaps you can remove a few of the globe shaped shrubs. I also think your house could support a few boxwood or yew hedges due to the linear nature of the ranch house design. There is a huge lack of color though and the impatient flowers would give your house a wonderful look for a minimal cost. If you decide to redo the shape of your beds go twice as large as you think and paint out the shape at least 3 times.... Take a look at it each day and decide white size and shape works! Good luck!!! P.S Not a huge fan of the red-brown roof. I would go with black or dark grey.
January 27, 2014 at 8:53PM     
Jennifer Hill
Should I remove the trees in the front of the house?
January 27, 2014 at 11:56PM   
rinqreation
No, the tree is lovely! Just add to it, pull the attention forward. Wider walkway, some shrubs and flowers along the sides. Consult a landscaper if you have no clue where to start. It will be worth it (annuals cost money too, better do it right).
January 28, 2014 at 1:12AM     
rinqreation
You could give the siding (and shutters) a different color, to freshen it up.
Sage is beautiful, but with the rust brown roof quite dramatic.
Below just some inspirational pictures.
Farm Exterior-Back
Front exterior
Clyde Hill Home
Stout Little House
January 28, 2014 at 1:27AM     
PRO
Timberlane Inc.
We have to recommend replacing your shutters with shutters that are properly fitted for your windows. This will not only enhance the curb appeal but it will give your home a more authentic feel. We would recommend a pair of Board and Battens to increase the rustic charm!
January 28, 2014 at 10:59AM     
PRO
Sweet Caroline Garden Design
The tree appears to be too close to the house and depending on what kind it is it could cause problems in the future. If it's a small ornamental I would just keep it trimmed a little. I've attached a doodle of what I think would improve your curb appeal - your current landscape hugs the foundation too tightly and you have a huge lawn that doesn't enhance your home in my opinion. Curving some flower beds on each side, planting with decidious blooming shrubs, ornamental grasses, low maintenance perennials and annuals and widening the walkway give instant appeal. My 2 cents.
January 31, 2014 at 12:25AM