Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
diymama2two

Need help - center a bathroom light over sink or cabinet?

DIYMama2Two
10 years ago
Help! We started a bathroom remodel a year ago and need to finish it. The hang-up for me is where to put the mirror/trip and the electrical items - the light over the vanity, and the electrical outlets. There is one sink in the cabinet bank, which is offset. (The sink/cabinets cannot be changed at this point; and frankly I love them the way they are.) Should the overhead light be centered over the cabinet, or centered over the sink?

Also, what should the mirror/tile trim look like? The tile trim is square glass tiles that were also used in the tub/shower area. Should we center the mirror between the existing outlets, leaving a blank wall on one side for art to be hung? Or should we move the electrical outlets so they can be part of the tile trim area, and extend the tile trim/mirror the entire width of the cabinet bank?

Lastly, should the mirror with the glass tile surround be straight edge or beveled edge?

Comments (19)

• happyleg
    10 years ago
    You need a multi contracter.
  • DIYMama2Two
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I don't understand your comment. My spouse is a skilled electrician and we're plenty able to do the work ourselves, once a decision on design is made!
  • DIYMama2Two
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    This is the current favorite layout - it's a compromise between the first two.
  • User
    10 years ago
    Either the last one or this.
  • DIYMama2Two
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    You know, you're right... I remember thinking about that too and that is why I got so hung up on what to do. I do want a tile backsplash, about 6" of one.

I don't have a version I love the most. I wish I did. They all look awkward to me.
  • DIYMama2Two
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Can you expand on what you mean about the outlets being the barrier? We can move them as needed. How would you shape the mirror and place the outlets and overhead light if this were a blank canvas?
  • DIYMama2Two
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Here's a new sketch with the backsplash included. The backsplash would stretch onto the adjacent wall to continue against the countertop. How does this look? Any suggestions? This includes moving the light to center over the sink (so it would be off-center over the entire counter), and the mirror would be centered over the sink. The idea was that a larger mirror might be nice. Thoughts?
  • DIYMama2Two
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    or...
  • PRO
    Catherine Belan
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    I find that trying to encase the mirror with tile is something that needed to be worked out originally, as in, coordinate with shower accents so they line up. Or do the entire wall with tile (it IS a pretty tile!)

I like the idea of centering the light over the sink.

What do you think of having the mirror be the width of the two banks of drawers and the sink area. Then start on top of the 6" splash and continue to the ceiling? Holes can be done for electrical as needed. The light will mount on top of mirror (not above). Then leave the space over the right side cabinet for artwork.
  • PRO
    Darla Scheuerman
    10 years ago
    Light centered Above sink. Then id install a second light fixture to the right ( matching of course) Mirror size should be commensurate with the first light. Use 2nd area with out let for frames art and a framed mirror.
  • PRO
    ASVInteriors
    10 years ago
    Having studied all the proposals, I like Fred's best. By elongating the mirror to the end and tiling around it in one frame you have a sleekness. He also extended the length of your lights. This is the most aesthetic solution IMHO.
  • PRO
    Catherine Belan
    10 years ago
    Karen: by the outlets being a barrier, I meant that it seemed as if you felt they couldn't be moved much more than to rotate in place. And so they became the "endposts" for how wide your mirror could be. I see that you have more flexibility than that, so now a moot point.

The compromise solution has many pleasing elements to it, and I can't ferret out what is still bothering you about that solution. Perhaps you could break it down into multiple questions/parts of design?

You've answered the question about backsplash - so we know you need one that will go all the way across and then return down the side wall.

Next - is it important to you to have the light over the sink? While I understand where Fred was going, for me personally I find that solution too much for the overall size of the space. Even tho you could reduce the wattage at the bulbs so they don't overwhelm with light, I think it would be too large a fixture for the room. But that is my opinion - if it works for you then it is the right solution.

Do you have to have a tile wrapped mirror? Are you keeping your options reduced by staying with that design solution and perhaps it isn't what works best in the room/for your design eye?

Some other thoughts:
    - tile the entire wall above the width of the cabinet with tile and pattern to match the shower, then have a framed mirror hung like a picture under light.
    - move one of the outlets to the side wall so you aren't aesthetically fighting that symmetry of two outlets.
    - tile the wall in only the accent tile and inset a frameless mirror. (get away from thinking of the backsplash and mirror frame as two separate elements)
    - do you think the outlets need to be in the tile backsplash? They can also be in the mirror, you just have to get it sized and cut by glass company. Does that free you any?
    - you have some overhead lighting, would you rather change the over-the-mirror light to two wall sconces, centered about the sink, but with the back wall being a large tile framed mirror, and go to ceiling as you did with shower?

Consider doing a search on Houzz for "tile framed mirrors in bathroom". Start an ideabook of all the ones that appeal to you. Once you've done that until you can't stand to look at ideas any more (take a break!) go back through and see what you are consistently drawn to. Then see if there is an idea that could translate for your space.

And one more personal opinion - is there still money in the budget to replace the small cabinet over the toilet? I suspect it might also be influencing your hesitation. It seems awkward for the space. I'd rather see something taller, that starts at the ceiling.....Or add crown molding to the space and have it wrap a new cabinet....there's just something going on there that fights the space over the sink cabinet. If you can figure out a way to tie that into what you have going on at the shower and want for over the sink so you have design flow from the door wall to the outside wall....I think that will create a bathroom that will be pleasing for you.

All of this to say in a nutshell: there is something bothering you about all the solutions for the sink area. Perhaps that is because you are designing it as a separate element, but when you experience it you see the entire room - so instead of focusing on just that element, turn your focus to answer: how can I make this feel as if it flows with the rest of the bathroom?
  • mfwolfe
    10 years ago
    I am kind of surprised that you don't have any sconces on each side of the sink. Overhead lights by themselves make a person look pretty scary early in the morning. I would use a smaller mirror over the sink with sconces on each side and outlets at each end of the area. Proportionally fitting mirror in the center with possible art on one or both sides.
  • User
    10 years ago
    Let's start by getting accurate cabinet measurements. The drawing does not match the reality in proportion or the number of actual light bulbs. There are roughly 5 equal segments to the vanity and it has the sink centered at approximately 2/5, 3/5. The drawing seems to have the sink centered on 3/8, 5/8. It appears that in reality, the sink is a couple inches closer to center, and that the light bar would actually only have about 6 bulbs and not the 8 as drawn.
  • Barbara Fong
    8 years ago

Hello - just ran across this advice today. I don't see an outcome. I have a similar situation, but with two offset sinks within an 80" vanity. Will be getting two 3-light fixture. Center above sinks or vanity?

• DIYMama2Two
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Barbara - clearly I'm no expert, but if I were starting from scratch in your situation, I would center above sinks.

• turnerd
    8 years ago

I just came across this and really need help. I have a 7 ft vanity, custom made with one shallow sink 20 inches wide that is placed on the right most edge (3 inches from the edge to be exact). I have 2 lighted mirrors 24 inches wide by 36 tall. Do I place one directly over the sink and then the other on the left side of the 7ft (3 inches from the edge) thus leaving a huge blank space in the middle? or center them over the 7 ft? Please help!

• Robert Thomas
    last month

i worked for a glass company for years and we routinely cut holes in mirrors to accommodate outlets then put a mirrored wall plate over it. Just a thought.