Can I change the color of my hardwood floor?
Theresa Joy
We have an open concept kitchen / living room, but the new hardwood we installed does not match the old hardwood. Is there a way I can stain the old hardwood to match? In the photos you can see one side is darker. I'd like to darken the lighter wood to match. Possible?
Theresa Joy
..
0 Likes   January 28, 2014 at 7:21AM
mmilos
If the old hardwood is solid hardwood, a floor refinisher should be able to sand and restain your old floors to better match your new hardwood. Keep in mind though the graining will still look different due to different wood species.

I would also see if they can remove the threshold piece for better integration.
1 Like   January 28, 2014 at 7:31AM
Deborah Butler, Brickwood Builders
As mmilos indicates, a good floor finisher can closely match hardwoods. You should be present while they are mixing colors in order to approve the match. Takes some diligent work, but can be done. The grain will still be different.
1 Like   January 28, 2014 at 8:03AM
John P. Guy, Designer
It would be interesting to know how much of the existing floor there is. To do a good job of sanding, re-staining, and finishing, there will be some cost. I would weigh that cost against just ripping the old out and finishing it all off with the new. You might be surprised that the cost to do so will not be all that much different.
2 Likes   January 28, 2014 at 8:23AM
mefor
It will be difficult to get an exact match, looks like oak and walnut? You can try to sand and stain to match, would you be ok if it's just close? There will always be a difference but if you don't mind, then it's fine. Would be good to get a flat transition piece, that one looks like a bit of a tripping hazard. Good luck :)
1 Like   January 28, 2014 at 8:39AM
mefor
How odd that they put the transition piece right in the center of the fireplace. Wonder why? I'm assuming it was there when you bought house :)
1 Like   January 28, 2014 at 8:41AM
Theresa Joy
Its a 203 year old house. The lighter hardwood is the older wood. It is very very thick so we don't want to remove it. Staining it is the only option.
When we moved in a few months ago the floor was half wood and half melamine tile ..
When the new hardwood was installed there was a gap and we were told the only other solution was a flat metal piece .. I see the transition piece every day and it drives me crazy. I would love to find a more subtle seamless way to transition the floors.
As for the floor staining, From what I'm reading it does not sound too difficult to DIY stain the floor.
** Id love a solution to find a better way to transition the two floors together other then that horrid bump. **
1 Like   January 28, 2014 at 9:21AM
John P. Guy, Designer
With that in mind I would very carefully pull up the transition strip so it can be used to make a small strip the width of the the difference between the two floors. If there is a depth difference it can be filled with wood, or floor leveler so that it matches when put in place. I have done this a number of times and has worked well. As for blending the stain colors I would also blend for a couple of runs of the new floor so there is not a definitive transition in finishes. With the dark color I think you can mask the transition. I don't know the layout of the rooms, but a well placed area rug will hide it further.
1 Like   January 28, 2014 at 9:45AM
Artwork help for Bare Loft apartment
Recently (ok, 5 months ago) moved into a new loft apartment...
Need help in bath rooms
If I have brush nickel faucets but want dark framed...
I need help with my kitchen!
Hello. I am a new homeowner and need help with ideas...
Need help on hardwood floor decision
Hi Everyone! We have an open floor plan and there is...