Hallway Flower Issue
Charles-Etienne Roy
This is part of my hallway, there is no natural light whatsoever so any real plant will die but I hate the fake flower. I was thinking some kind of dried flower or even dried branches could be great there but I have no idea which ones... Any help on this would be good. The walls are dark grey and all the art in the room are based on the color scheme in the painting you see in the pics with egyptian themes...

Here is a website of decorative dried branches I found. Would any work? Cotton maybe to remind of the egyptian theme? http://www.drieddecor.com/decorative-branches-c-85.html
could you find some dried papyrus plants that would make an unusual dried flower arrangement and link the painting and egyptian bust?

Actually papryus flops. Perhaps some twisty twigs in a muted red? http://www.drieddecor.com/Dried-Dogwood-Branches-p-370.html?cPath=85_109
January 28, 2014 at 10:09am        Thanked by Charles-Etienne Roy
Charles-Etienne Roy
I have an egyptian bust in a different place in the hallway but the papyrus plant is a good idea but I am not sure it's going to be in the color scheme.
January 28, 2014 at 10:12am   
see edited comment ;-)
January 28, 2014 at 10:13am   
Charles-Etienne Roy
I like the twisty branches in red. It might work.
January 28, 2014 at 10:15am     
You art is the star here and your furniture below it is not doing justice in style, size, color, etc. Look for a console table or credenza that is 25% wider than the art. Black would look great with it. If you can place it away from the black switch plate it would be good. You can also prime and paint the switch to match your wall color. Hang art 5" above the new table and don't worry about much decor on the table - maybe just a tray and a pair of candlesticks. Don't bother with faux flowers, but you could put a pair of hassocks or baskets on the floor under a console. Watch your scale and don't overpower the picture itself.
January 28, 2014 at 10:18am     
Charles-Etienne Roy
At decoenthusiaste, I am aware the console is not doing justice but it's handmade by my grandfather from trees that he cut himself from his orchard. I have no where else in the house where I can put it for now thus why I was playing on the decoration of the console. The switches are not black but brown. They work really well with the dark grey, picture does not do it justice. I hate the white switches and painted switches look really cheap. These are the lutron ones.
January 28, 2014 at 10:26am   
moggie73
Love your grandfather's work.
Maybe a taller / more narrow piece of art above?
I am guessing, no orchid? (even a really great silk?)
Do you have an outlet for a lamp?
Best to you.
January 28, 2014 at 10:47am      Thanked by Charles-Etienne Roy
momof5x
I would probably change the whole look and go for something like below ( depending on what you already have in the room though):

Darryl Carter's The Collected Home

Harlem Apartment - Hall
January 28, 2014 at 10:55am   
Charles-Etienne Roy
I have an outlet for a lamp but I have a spotlight lighting the painting therefore not sure if a lamp is a good idea. Also, it was not turned on in the photo but I also have some lights lighting up the objects in the console.
January 28, 2014 at 1:32pm   
printesa
If you want real plants, you can try the Snake plant. It doesn't require light and only very little water. Peace Lily is also a good choice. It has a nice white bloom. This one does require regular watering. There are plants that are for offices, which means no natural light.
January 28, 2014 at 1:45pm   
I get it! I have a table my great grandfather made and it has a slanted leg, but still holds a TV in the bedroom. Maybe you should play to the strengths of the table and go for a more authentic look instead of the contemporary art piece.
January 28, 2014 at 3:52pm   
moggie73
Checked out your link above, (thanks for that).
Love the River Cane Bamboo, in a hand throwm pottery vase?
Looks like you might have a love of ceramics.
Think your original concept is best, I would hate any plant moisture to ruin that beautiful chest.
You are right about no lamp - since you already have things well lighted.
January 29, 2014 at 8:55am      Thanked by Charles-Etienne Roy
nica60red
I would have the bust sitting on some great books to elevate it. The furniture is great piece and would not change especially if it was hand made by your Grandfrather. It is a one of a kind piece and you have it! Don't let anyone tell yout to change it.
What arout fresh flowers in a wood vessel (lined with glass) a ladding a lamp would work great there with all of the stuff you alreay have. Good luck!
January 29, 2014 at 2:24pm      Thanked by Charles-Etienne Roy
An odd place for an ugly door, how can I camouflage it?
This door in my master leads onto the hot tub deck,...
What do you think about mismatched dining chairs?
The key to an eclectic look, surely? And also brilliant...
Need help with master bath design/layout
Master bath is 18' 8" x 10' 4" if I take one of the...
Help!!!! What length drapes?
I will be moving into this house next month. This photo...
Mitered edge for marble or quartize ?
I.am wondering by putting the Mitered edge on the countertops...