Trim colours
bagelmackJanuary 28, 2014
Hi there,
We are trying to decide on trim and door colours to bring this 19th century farm house into the the 21st century!
While we want to champion the original charm of the log home, we want to modernize it slightly. The shingled roof is dark grey. We are thinking a slate grey and black for the trim. Maybe a different colour for the doors?
Would love some input.
Thank you!
bubblyjock
Yummy house! If you're in Canada (I'm guessing you are...), the original roof was probably cedar shingles, but nowadays simple tin works very well with log, either coloured, or galvaneel, which will oxidize to a matte grey. Standing seam looks nice, but it's a bit "posh" for that stamp of cottage, plus it's 2x to 3x the price of standard tin.

I agree with changing the colours of the trim and the door, as that's quite a bright butter - maybe go with a more neutral cream for the trim, and a richer darker colour for the door?
1 Like    Bookmark   January 28, 2014 at 1:41PM
Benjamin Edward
I actually think a black or dark grey would look nice!
4 Likes    Bookmark   January 28, 2014 at 1:56PM
Olive drab;)

3 Likes    Bookmark   January 28, 2014 at 2:02PM
Benjamin Edward
Actually, i agree with the above... Awesome!
2 Likes    Bookmark   January 28, 2014 at 2:06PM
Patricia Colwell
I like the olive, but if you go with black it opens the possibilities for door colors
1 Like    Bookmark   January 28, 2014 at 2:18PM
Katy Richard
I love the idea of black trim. Keep the roof darker, not lighter.
2 Likes    Bookmark   January 28, 2014 at 2:30PM
Katy Richard
Also, white might look good for trim. And the galvanized metal roof idea is cool. It would rust and look fab. Here's a couple of Houzz pics.
3 Likes    Bookmark   January 28, 2014 at 2:35PM
Leo Dowell Interiors
I will play the Devil's Avocate here. The biggest thing that would update this farm house and still look appropriate is the metal roof. But I would use black standing seam aluminum. It is a lifetime roof, will not rust and less expensive than steel. The trim needs to become part of the house visualy not stand out. You accomplish this by painting it a gray color to blend with the existing wood. This makes the house seem larger and simpler. Accenting the trim is playing up the wrong part. Lastly change the porch posts to square and paint them black also along with the front door. The turned post are not correct with the hand hewn beam construction. The simpler square post will fit in while at the same time painted black will disapear in front of the house and let the house show up more. The square shape will also look more up to date rather than Victorian. Don't forget to paint the metal chimney vent black.

Need to balance the landscaping also. If it is more symetrical,( the same plants on both sides) it will update the house. I would also consider solid stone steps. The open steps projects a simple crude construction.

You asked for it, LOL. That is my professional opinion.
11 Likes    Bookmark   January 28, 2014 at 2:49PM
My favorite cabin/old country house color is one I call Ozark Blue, because you find it all over the Ozarks on old homes, even abandoned ones. It is typically found under stair cases, on ceilings as it is believed to repel or discourage dirt daubers and wasps from building. It is not sky blue, but more of a hunter green with a definite blue tinge. Would work beautifully on your porch ceiling and/or door. Somewhere between these two BM ones. Benjamin Moore Absolute Green Paint Tarrytown Green HC 134, Benjamin Moore
1 Like    Bookmark   January 28, 2014 at 2:57PM
B Paton
You could paint your window trim the colour of the chinking, it would blend in nicely since you already have that colour. The 2nd photo Katy Richard has posted might be similar. Black or white is too harsh, there is no black or white on your lovely home. Draw out a colour from the wood and chinking keeping your roof colour in mind. if you want darker fascia & soffit at the roofline, I think a grey with brown undertones would flatter your home. Your front door and the surrounding door trim could be your modern colour pick.
1 Like    Bookmark   January 28, 2014 at 3:18PM
bubblyjock
I agree with B Paton - more muted colours will be more becoming for a house of this age and style.

This might be a useful link for reference:
http://www.ontarioarchitecture.com/Log.htm
2 Likes    Bookmark   January 28, 2014 at 3:53PM
bagelmack
These are all fantastic suggestions, thank you! A lot for us to discuss. :)
    Bookmark   January 28, 2014 at 5:15PM
Tammy Feddersen Design
I would also agree, a slate trim and maybe have a fun custom door made with some galvanized steel with dark pewter hardware. That would just pop the home with a little metal and change it up a bit. Good luck, a great home to work with :)
1 Like    Bookmark   January 28, 2014 at 5:31PM
Barnhart Gallery
If you pull colors from the landscape or structure itself, you can't go wrong with this adorable "logcottage." It's wonderful.
2 Likes    Bookmark   January 28, 2014 at 5:56PM
bagelmack
Barnhart, how did you do that?!
I'd love to see it with the slate grey and black....
And maybe a historic blue for the door???
    Bookmark   January 28, 2014 at 7:14PM
bagelmack
Leo Dowell Interiors, I love your suggestions, thank you!
    Bookmark   January 28, 2014 at 7:16PM
bagelmack
I wonder if the olive drab colour that was suggested would work on the door with the slate and black for trim...
    Bookmark   January 28, 2014 at 7:19PM
Sustainable Dwellings
That is cute! I like Margo's olive drab idea the most.... you will have a unique and beautiful home.
2 Likes    Bookmark   January 28, 2014 at 7:19PM
Barnhart Gallery
MSPaint, bagelmack. Here's what I originally wanted to see, and I think it's sharp -- an almost-black charcoal trim with a muddy green door:
    Bookmark   January 28, 2014 at 7:46PM
bagelmack
Barnhart that looks great! My only worry is that a green might clash with all the surrounding greens in nature. I wonder if there's another door colour... I had considered a blue maybe. Or something in the brown family?
    Bookmark   January 28, 2014 at 8:02PM
bubblyjock
Brown will be hard to balance with the logs - it'll become too green or, more likely, too red, and argue with the wooden tones, I suspect.

Did you look at the Upper Canada Village log homes? Their trim is surprisingly simple. Love what Barnhart can do to change the visual for you!
1 Like    Bookmark   January 28, 2014 at 8:08PM
Barnhart Gallery
Here's a few options:
    Bookmark   January 28, 2014 at 8:32PM
Barnhart Gallery
...
    Bookmark   January 28, 2014 at 8:34PM
Barnhart Gallery
...
    Bookmark   January 28, 2014 at 8:35PM
Barnhart Gallery
...and finally,
    Bookmark   January 28, 2014 at 8:37PM
I think the black makes it feel haunted??
    Bookmark   January 28, 2014 at 8:49PM
ourfarmhouse
I think that the standing seam metal roof is a good choice. I also think that this is where you might benefit from some color. A red roof would give it some charm...reds and greens almost always look good on a log home.

I also think that your board and batten siding on the gables is another opportunity for a little bit of color. A light celery green might do the trick, and then I would paint your trimwork an even lighter celery green (almost a green-tinged ivory).

If you've noticed, all of these colors come from nature. Instead of worrying if they clash with nature, think more about if they might complement your surroundings.

To make your windows pop, I'd paint them a gloss black. If you could, I'd add also muntins in the windows where they're missing (of course, painted black). I'd also paint your door gloss black with this color scheme.

I think it would be nice to see if you can renew the exposed wood, to see if you can bring the warm tones back. I know there are a few products that are geared to do that - I would suppose it depends on the age of the wood, though.

Lastly, I would work on your landscaping to bring it up to date. Some large stones would be right for this type of building.

I think this could be such an inviting little cottage. Here's a mock-up of what I was thinking...
2 Likes    Bookmark   January 28, 2014 at 11:50PM
kmkane
I think you are spot on with grey, black and don't forget some white. You really shouldn't go too modern with an old bldg like this, though I do like the ideas with colored doors. The first thing that hit me was the porch posts- they just do not fit the style of this house. I know you didn't ask that, but if people are going to suggest you spend thousands on a new roof, I'll suggest you at least spend a few bucks replacing those and staying true to the architectural style of the house.
2 Likes    Bookmark   January 29, 2014 at 12:21AM
thedarlingsbecca
I don't know what is right, but the black does make it look like a Halloween house. What about gray or tan? If you want a colorful door, how about about a shade of lilac or lavender? Or, a washed out, faded red.
1 Like    Bookmark   January 29, 2014 at 12:58AM
bagelmack
Ourfarmhouse, your suggestions are wonderful as well. Thank you! Lots to think about now. I was worried that greens would clash with the black but your mock up looks good. I won't be doing a new roof as we have already updated with a charcoal shingle. Kinda wishing I'd gone on this forum first!
I'm curious about this celery green. Do you have an actual paint colour in mind?
    Bookmark   January 29, 2014 at 3:40AM
Rempfer Construction, Inc.
Grey is a great color for trim, but we are unsure of how it will look with the gutters being a brownish color (unless you plan on changing the color of the gutters, then no problem!). A Harvard slate would look pretty great but if you want darker then a granite would be good.

We do like the idea of a metal roof as well. It would look great with the log cabin and it will last a long time too. Have you thought about changing the columns? A thicker natural column would look good with this cabin (something like cedar columns?) We really like the columns on the first photo Katy posted.

As for the door, red really pops but what about yellow? It looks pretty great with gray, but we believe that door color should really reflect on what you like ( so the possibilities are endless).
1 Like    Bookmark   January 29, 2014 at 6:39AM
kmkane
I dunno, the mock up by Ourfarmhouse is a bit glitzy for an historic log home. It looks like it's in drag!
    Bookmark   January 29, 2014 at 1:09PM
rinqreation
Please do NOT use black on all trim.
Use a silvergrey on the bigger lines and charcoal/black on the window frames and the soffit's siding. Slate or metal roof, a bit industrial style. Or use only greys and browns for a bit more rustic look. Or even better: just strip all paint off and stain the wood.
A hint of color (robin's egg blue or oxide red) will be the icing on the cake.
Trestlewood Outdoor
Telluride Houses
Bay Lake Cabin
Bozeman Residence
Hagerman Lodge
My Houzz: A Rustic Mountain Home in Mentone, Alabama
2 Likes    Bookmark   February 2, 2014 at 10:13AM
bagelmack
@ringreation thanks. Yes, I also feel that the black on all trim is too much. We are in agreement that it will only be for the inner windows, and soffits, eaves troughs,maybe the doors...
Just hunting for the perfect gray and touch of colour.
Our roof has already been shingled a charcoal gray.
Robins egg blue? I'll check it out!
1 Like    Bookmark   February 3, 2014 at 5:21AM
bagelmack
Nice pics! Bare wood looks good too. Arghhhh!
    Bookmark   February 3, 2014 at 5:23AM
sunnydrew
I love it just as it is with yellow. Maybe you could just paint the door to compliment that.
1 Like    Bookmark   February 3, 2014 at 11:55AM
rinqreation
Idea maybe? (the window frames were a little too small to 'paint', so imagine them in medium to dark grey too)
1 Like    Bookmark   February 3, 2014 at 12:45PM
bagelmack
@rinqreation: the grey looks perfect, and I even like the pop of red. But, the yellow has to go! Maybe a lighter grey or a grey blue where the yellow is??
    Bookmark   February 3, 2014 at 1:01PM
rinqreation
Why not? But I would not pick red as accent color with icy blue.
    Bookmark   February 4, 2014 at 1:30AM
rinqreation
I also like the selery and red cottage look ourfarmhouse came up with. My try on it:
1 Like    Bookmark   February 4, 2014 at 1:35AM
rinqreation
It is after all a 19th century farm house. No need putting your grandma in a skinny jeans, but you can dress her up nicely (sorry, weird comparison, I know).
2 Likes    Bookmark   February 5, 2014 at 2:37AM
Need help for door and side panels
I'm painting my shuttersCharleston Green and my door...
Melanie Harris
What should I but on the otherside of the window
This is my bedroom. What should I but on the other...
Deanna Fogg
change baseboards?
want to take a vote. should we change baseboards in...
Ti Dr.
what to add on wall? HELP
need any ideas as to what to add to wall behind single...
brittcharbonneau
Fireplace help!
I really want to redo the fireplace in our great room,...
hilrab86