TV and furniture placement in new build
tacomablack
Currently planning and need to decide about furniture placement, tv placement and floor plugs in great room.
Where is the main entry ? Is it a porch in the area measuring 23'x5' ?
0 Likes   Thanked by tacomablack    January 28, 2014 at 3:45PM
tacomablack
Yes that is a covered porch. The entry is on the left with windows on the outside wall.
0 Likes   January 28, 2014 at 4:38PM
Classical Home Design, Inc. by Susan Berry
Are you floating your furniture away from the walls? Are you using area rugs? You only need floor outlets if you plan to have a table with lamps behind your sofa or a lamp near the kitchen side of your sofa. With a room that is only 15 feet wide, I would furnish it so that my lamps plug in at the window wall and I have good overhead lighting. I don't think that floor outlets are necessary. You could save some money without them. Cords get awkward with area rugs. The TV should either be above the fireplace or at the bookshelves to the "Eating room" side of the fireplace. You need to verify the size screen you want. vs. available space. I am designing more flush hearths (same level as the floor) in order to lower the firebox, in order to have the TV screen over the fire box a bit lower. If the TV is too high, it is annoying to watch.
0 Likes   Thanked by tacomablack    January 28, 2014 at 4:51PM
Tekkease
In my professional opinion looks like mounting the TV over the fireplace will give the room the best symmetry as well offer the optimal viewing angle. Be sure not to mount TV too high as this will cause some discomfort when watching.

I can imagine that your couch or seating arrangement will be placed 15'-17' back from front wall. A larger "L" shaped sectional would fit nicely in this space, but in no way am I a furniture planner, just a tech guy.
0 Likes   Thanked by tacomablack    January 28, 2014 at 4:53PM
Mean Design
One thing (aside from your stated problem) is glaring at me... does your flooring change from the kitchen to the eating area?
0 Likes   Thanked by tacomablack    January 28, 2014 at 5:17PM
tacomablack
I think floating the furniture is the only option. The flooring will not change.
0 Likes   January 28, 2014 at 6:22PM
tacomablack
The door in the great room to the media hobby room will be gone. The flooring will be the same in the entire open area. Sadly my husband insists on a raised hearth, so no mounting the TV over the fireplace. We have table lamps so we will probably require floor plugs. We will have an area rug.
0 Likes   January 28, 2014 at 6:34PM
tacomablack
I was thinking that we could put the TV on the window wall. We could have the builder balance the windows?
0 Likes   January 28, 2014 at 6:39PM
tacomablack
I think we will put the TV on the shelf as per classical design. Also I think we will put the sofa against the window wall. Then we will float the love seat and two chairs, hopefully.
0 Likes   January 28, 2014 at 7:15PM
Draw your furniture on the plan to scale and make sure that you allow plenty of space to walk around. Try to locate your floor plugs under the lamp tables.
0 Likes   January 29, 2014 at 2:01AM
sunnydrew
If you know you will have a raised hearth with the TV over it, then at least research the style of a shorter, horizontally shaped firebox. There are many on houzz for inspiration. ideally you want the TV to be centered at eye level when seated; not up above your head. You have the opportunity to do it in such a fashion.
You should try to use the fireplace wall for the TV, as opposed to the window wall. You can float your couch to view out the window, if a nice view or towards the kitchen; as well as the f/p wall.
Susan is right above, that if you do it all to scale, you will see where is best to place furniture and floor outlets. Try to put in a couple extra outlets so that you'll have options later- for rearranging or different furniture altogether. They can be covered if not in use.
The other thing is, if you take time and pay for some professional design help, you will avoid costly mistakes or " I wish I had thought of...." A lot depends on your personal style and what you already own. Needless to say, you are lucky to have the chance to figure it all out first, instead of trying to make things fit after the fact. Good luck.
0 Likes   January 29, 2014 at 8:54AM
sunnydrew
P.S. I was glad to see that you changed the master closet to one long one instead of 2 square ones. That is another area worth having a pro fit it out to maximize usage.
0 Likes   January 29, 2014 at 8:56AM
tacomablack
One more question. I would like to have a curved eat on island between the kitchen\eating area and great room as well as a smaller work island in the kitchen. Would that be possible in the space? Thanks
0 Likes   February 4, 2014 at 8:30PM
tacomablack
Like this one.
0 Likes   February 4, 2014 at 8:34PM
What kind of furniture and placement? Tv placement
Buying new home, need new furniture for this room....
Proper placements of living room furniture and wall Plasma TV
I would like to put entertainment center with plasma...
Furniture and TV placement in large room?
We are looking to purchase this home and I'm not sure...
Furniture and TV placement in large room
Design challenge, Furniture and tv placement in great room
My challenge is moving from a Condo in town, to live...
Help design my country/vintage/modern idk what it is kitchen!
okay, here is my kitchen. Just had the granite installed...
Ideas for new house!
Just moved into a new house and want to make it a bit...
Layers vs Simplicity
Have you ever had an image in mind for a room that...
TILES CAN I "HONE" AN INDOOR TILE FOR OUTDOOR USE ONCE COATED ?
Hello people, Question time again. Im trying to match...
At a loss - What to do with the front of my house?
Houzzers, I'm on a new mission to upgrade the front...