Need help selecting curtains
cappergirl
Hi, I need help choosing curtains for my sitting room. I've got new cream colored microfiber furniture with brown and tan circles on the accent pillows, new dark brown area rug with swirls in cream and tan, off-white walls, white painted fireplace. The sofa is a solid color, but the pillows and rug are circle/semicircle pattern. I was going to paint the wall around the windows and either side of the fireplace chocolate brown to bring out the fireplace, but then i decided it is going to darken this wonderfully light and bright room too much considering there's already a dark rug. So I am keeping the wall color. There are 3 large windows and there is not a lot of space on either side of 2 of the windows. We're talking inches. So I was planning on a curtain that is not very wide so it doesn't cover too much of the window and i'm not worried about ever closing it. I don't want shades. Privacy is not an issue in this room. I considered chocolate brown curtains, and brown is one of my favorite colors, but I just fear there's no color in the room. Any ideas for me? Should I just go for a boring neutral color or choose something that pops?
(This room is normally very tidy, but there is Lego everywhere. My husband is working on fixing the wall behind the big couch and moved all the toys in front of the fireplace. The dining table is getting replaced with a larger, slightly darker colored wood table with wood chairs.)
happyleg
Match walls. Then it won't distract from FP.
0 Likes   January 28, 2014 at 7:43PM
maymag
I would do side panels so you can enjoy the light while offering vertical pattern. I would go for some sort of pattern, not a solid; perhaps something that would incorporate the brown, cream and even red tones from your centerpiece on the cocktail table. With solid colored walls, solid colored furniture, my eye goes to the floor where you have the most color and pattern. I'd consider bringing that vibrancy from the floor to the windows for balance. With your modern accented rug and pillows, something like a flame stitch or chevron could be an interesting choice if you want to stay geometric. But I also see that the dining room furniture seems more traditional so an oversized paisley introduces a different type of movement to the room. That could be carried into a tablecloth where you would actually see the print laid out (which you won't see in the window treatment since I assume it would be pleated.)
1 Like   January 29, 2014 at 5:51AM
dclostboy
Side panels in champagne silk...would also paint the brick fireplace a darker beige...this is Ralph Lauren Sisal
0 Likes   January 29, 2014 at 5:56AM
ebgoings
Are you considering a mantle and artwork in the fireplace area? The Fireplace area should be your focal point in the room. I agree with the other person about the side panels. And
adding pattern (or texture) in the draperies.(Target) Or even patterned fabric shades. It is an option to lose those pillows and add pillows with different sizes, textures and patterns as well. T.J. Maxx usually has a great selection of pillows at affordable prices. Accessories and art will make the room. It appears that the furniture on the rug is to close together. For more seating you could arrange the room with the sofa facing the fireplace. The loveseat on one side and 2 occasional chairs on the other. Happy decorating!
0 Likes   January 29, 2014 at 6:33AM
Dennis Henderson
Where do you plan on getting your drapes ?
0 Likes   January 29, 2014 at 7:04AM
cappergirl
yep, i should have had a loveseat and two chairs. DH talked me into this. too late now. i've tried rearranging the furniture. this is the best configuration. there is this little half wall in the way, so i can't have a sofa facing the fireplace. there would be no way to get into the room from the entryway. i like the idea of a patterned drapery panel. just don't know about the color or the design. and i'm not finding anything i like. the red stuff on the table was from christmas. it doesn't have to stay there, although i do think i would like red in this room. only thing is, i think i would have to match all 3 windows. do i want red in the dining room? or do you think it's okay as long as it's a skinny panel? thanks for the tip on the pillows. i could just chuck them and get something that matches the curtains better. it's just so hard to find curtains.
0 Likes   January 29, 2014 at 8:31AM
cappergirl
as for where to get drapes/curtains, anywhere really. i have checked target, bed bath and beyond, pottery barn, crate and barrel, jc penney, pier one, cost plus, and walmart. i found these decorative rods yesterday on walmart.com and ordered them. they are the same bronze color as the light fixture in the dining room. and they look like they don't stick out too far. (i usually like to hang high and wide, but there is not a lot of space beside 2 out of 3 of the windows to go wide, so i had to choose a finial that didn't extend out too far.) i could return them easily to the store if they don't work. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Montevilla-26-48-inch-5-8-inch-Facet-Ball-Rod-Set-in-Vintage-Bronze-Finish/29355862?action=product_interest&action_type=title&placement_id=irs_middle&strategy=PWVUB&visitor_id=17421449714&category=0%3A4044%3A133012%3A539105%3A132949&client_guid=7bc37810-2e04-4411-80af-bc714ad1cd96&customer_id_enc=32db650727a5652d69a94cfa7d9dbb68&config_id=2&parent_item_id=29355862&guid=d9f2d813-4862-4b3b-a9c1-dcb285a44b84&bucket_id=irsbucketdefault&findingMethod=p13n

i just found these at macy's. what do you think? http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/elrene-medalia-52-x-95-panel?ID=827131&CategoryID=57513&LinkType=#fn=WINDOW_LENGTH%3D95%20inches%26sp%3D2%26spc%3D73%26ruleId%3D65%26slotId%3D55
0 Likes   January 29, 2014 at 8:57AM
cappergirl
those curtains don't thrill me, but honestly, i haven't found anything that jumps out at me so far.
0 Likes   January 29, 2014 at 8:59AM
studio10001
I think drapery panels would do better at the dining window, only. Consider matching roman shades at the fireplace, as an option that will show off the full window, and won't interfere with the fireplace.
If you don't need a window treatment for privacy concerns, you can strengthen the look by painting the inner windows black, and enjoy them as is.[houzz=
]
1 Like   Thanked by cappergirl    January 29, 2014 at 9:13AM
cappergirl
interesting idea regarding the black. i like it...
0 Likes   January 29, 2014 at 9:48AM
sunnydrew
I love the inside of the window painted black.
I wanted to suggest that if you can't find pre-made curtains you really like, why not just go to to a fabric store with your toss pillow and look around. If you invest a little in having panels made, you will get exactly what you want, with the tops how you want to hang them etc. Maybe you have a friend that sews well, or fabric place that will make them for you. That is how the designers get that extra wow factor- custom done. It is money well spent.
1 Like   January 29, 2014 at 9:57AM
Remodeling Concepts LLC
Try looking around at Lowe's. They have a good selection of Allen + Roth Curtains in your local store. They are also have them on display so you can see them in full length and touch and feel the fabric. I found this one in a Chocolate Sheer Curtain on Gormets. The prices aren't bad too. http://www.lowes.com/pd_349480-710-X32232584ZBG_0+1z10vsl+1z10wc1+1z10wde+1z10weo+1z10wez+1z11wi6__?productId=3394218&Ntt=drapery&pl=1¤tURL=%3FNtt%3Ddrapery%26page%3D1&facetInfo=Green|Cream/Beige/Almond|Gray/Silver|Blue|Brown/Tan|allen%20+%20roth
0 Likes   Thanked by cappergirl    January 29, 2014 at 10:44AM
cappergirl
oh and i forgot to say that yes, i am planning to put on a mantle and i haven't done any artwork for this room yet. i've kind of been doing one room at a time and just finished my family room. i just found this. i like the beige a lot and the red...thoughts? http://www.target.com/p/threshold-jacquard-ikat-window-panel/-/A-14278388#prodSlot=medium_1_12
0 Likes   January 29, 2014 at 10:59AM
gypsyrose17
Seagrass or matchstick bamboo blinds would warm it up yet keep it light and airy....I like them better than roman shades in a room.
1 Like   January 29, 2014 at 11:06AM
cappergirl
see, i LOOOVE roman shades, but for some reason, i don't want them in this room. i really just want to frame the windows, not cover them at all. i don't need to ever close them. i don't want to block any of the light, so i guess i'm afraid of any shades in this room, especially since they say a lot of light comes in through the top of the window. (i DO want roman shades in my breakfast nook, but i have a dilemma there too. i'll post that one later.)
1 Like   January 29, 2014 at 11:19AM
Phoenix Stephens
If you go with the tan on the pillow it will bring out that color!
0 Likes   January 29, 2014 at 11:30AM
Phoenix Stephens
Please don't match the wall
0 Likes   January 29, 2014 at 11:31AM
gypsyrose17
You can always add a small line of color on the window frame in one of the natural lines, use the same color as the mantle you choose....forget any window coverings at all if you don't want them in the living area, just put your roman shades in the breakfast nook. Regardless of any advice, it is YOUR home :)
0 Likes   January 29, 2014 at 11:31AM
cappergirl
i am liking these tan curtains from target the best but it's probably boring. i am wanting to like them in the red, but don't like them as much. it seems i'm afraid of no color and i'm afraid of too much color at the same time. maybe i'll order them in both colors and see which looks better. http://www.target.com/p/threshold-jacquard-ikat-window-panel/-/A-14278388#prodSlot=medium_1_12
0 Likes   January 29, 2014 at 11:41AM
cappergirl
the red is not available right now, so of course now that makes me want them. thanks everyone for your input. i'm still open to suggestions if anyone else has any...
0 Likes   January 29, 2014 at 12:27PM
studio10001
Cappergirl, draperies will reduce your window span by half - they will block much more light than shades, even when open. Since you like romans, consider using a faux treatment hung higher than the window to give the extra framing you're looking for without any light blockage.
2 Likes   January 29, 2014 at 3:02PM
ccort
What about linen panels that are white or same as wall color. You could always add more color thru art work, throws, mantle decor. Your room is calming. If you go with color in the panels, I wouldn't try to replicate the rug/ throw pattern. Similar colors but different pattern maybe. I personally wouldn't go with solid tan. Maybe find a piece of art for the fireplace and then pull a color from that for the panels? If you choose a print, find a pillow or two or a throw in the same color to pull the room together. Good luck!
1 Like   January 29, 2014 at 4:47PM
happyleg
I feel that any color than wall color ( or almost) will make the room feel chopped up & crowed.
0 Likes   January 29, 2014 at 7:21PM
cappergirl
0 Likes   January 29, 2014 at 9:34PM
gypsyrose17
Now I am confused...I thought you were adamant about NOT covering your windows.....
0 Likes   January 30, 2014 at 9:12AM
cappergirl
i still have not decided whether to do panels or not. i think i can hang high and wide on the one window where i do have room so that the panels don't cover the window when they're open. and maybe modify the other two sets of panels (or maybe all 3 sets) so they are 40" wide instead of the normal 52". or i might paint the inside of the window frame. i liked that look too. still deciding. but no, they need *something* to frame the windows and to maybe make the fireplace stand out a little more. the white fireplace sort of blends in with the off-white walls. it will be a little better with a mantle on there, but i think panels, if they will fit, will help. i hope that makes sense. i don't know, i could be way wrong. in any case, sorry, i guess i wasn't very clear before. i appreciate the help...
0 Likes   January 30, 2014 at 10:40AM
gypsyrose17
Perhaps just do a mocha brown venetian plaster over the brick on the fireplace (all the way to the ceiling), choose a mantle, and decide how you want to redo your hearth....looks as if it is also painted white. Worry about the curtains afterwards.
0 Likes   January 30, 2014 at 10:53AM
cappergirl
funny you say that because my husband wants to redo the whole fireplace and hearth. i have been trying to work with what we have because who knows how long it will be until it gets done. i will think on it. thanks for the ideas...
0 Likes   January 30, 2014 at 11:44AM
gypsyrose17
Venetian plaster is a really quick and easy project, you can get it with the color in it so no painting over it. I will try to get a photo of ours tonight so you get an idea of what I'm talking about...my issue is in trying to post photos on here that I take with my phone...usually end up posting them to my avatar...
0 Likes   January 30, 2014 at 11:49AM
cappergirl
ooh, thank you! that would be great!
0 Likes   January 30, 2014 at 12:17PM
gypsyrose17
sorry cappergirl....have to wait for this weekend to take the pics in daylight.
0 Likes   January 31, 2014 at 1:38PM
Fengshuize
I'm not sure why but intuitively I would hang red curtains to bring up some fire energy into an otherwise cold room. (although beautiful).
if red is too strong and if you have a more neutral taste you could stay in the champagne/ off white tones but with some kind of pattern.
1 Like   February 5, 2014 at 10:58AM
Nancy Walton
I like the Ikat you posted, but you might be able to find it cheaper somewhere online. I will look on my favorite sites and see if I can find it for you, or at least something similar.
0 Likes   February 5, 2014 at 11:14AM
Nancy Walton
I figured out that you would need 20 yards of that fabric to make the 6 panels you need at 95-96" long panel to go floor to ceiling. With that yardage, you would be able to go a little longer than 96" if your ceiling is higher. (It's a 20" repeat, so you would need a cut length of 120".) That would work out to $539, but then you have to add lining and labor on top of that, unless you know how to sew. I think the Ikat would be stunning.
0 Likes   Thanked by cappergirl    February 5, 2014 at 11:30AM
ARKfabric.com
Orange and purple Ikat $39. Some other design solutions with brown as major influence.
0 Likes   February 5, 2014 at 11:49AM
gypsyrose17
Since the IKAT fabric is so expensive, you could go for your roman shades that you like. Also, I never could figure out which IKAT design/color was the one you liked...the link sent me to an entire page of IKAT prints.
0 Likes   February 5, 2014 at 11:54AM
cappergirl
sorry gypsyrose17, i didn't realize. here is another link. hope this works. i don't know if the pattern is too busy, but i think the colors are awesome: http://www.buyfabrics.com/p-29502-raja-spice-red-and-brown-ikat-linen-look-fabric.aspx?source=gbase&vfsku=29502&gpla=pla&gclid=CKzw94_rtbwCFYNQ7AodOXYArw
0 Likes   February 5, 2014 at 12:38PM
cappergirl
thank you for the suggestions everyone. i ordered the tan ikat curtains from target with the sort of X pattern on them. i like them but i may still change them out at some point. maybe i'll leave them up for the spring/summer and get something nicer later. i'm not sure that my husband will let me spend $539 on fabric alone without lining or labor costs. at least right now anyway. i can't sew a button. that's a lie, i could sew a button, but that's about it. i found this painting a couple days ago at pier 1. i think i am getting it for this room. it could go anywhere in here, but i'm thinking to put it on the wall on the right behind the bigger couch. it's big: 60" x 30".
0 Likes   February 5, 2014 at 12:48PM
cappergirl
btw, my husband decided to redo the fireplace. not yet sure exactly how. he definitely wants a mantle and the sides, i don't know what that part is called. something like the fireplace in the living room but not too similar. [this fireplace is wasted by a giant television inside ("his" room).]
0 Likes   February 5, 2014 at 12:57PM
gypsyrose17
cappergirl...like the Ikat you chose, also love the poppies picture (?)
0 Likes   February 5, 2014 at 1:13PM
cappergirl
thanks, i love california poppies! and i really like that the background is brown to contrast the plain jane off-white walls. same color as the rug, but not too much brown. my husband likes it just okay, so i'm glad someone else besides me likes it! so i just have to remind him that this is "my room" to decorate. :)
2 Likes   February 5, 2014 at 1:23PM
cappergirl
update. house is still a mess, but it's coming along. wall is fixed, new painting, and 2 out of 3 of the rods/curtains are up. these are my "i can live with them curtains" from target, but i still plan to get something nicer eventually. still need to hem. need a plant or something for that corner (?) and fireplace needs doing. but it feels sooo much cozier in here already! putting curtains up really made a big difference. i'm so happy!
2 Likes   February 12, 2014 at 10:51AM
cappergirl
okay, major update: i looked at tons of pictures of brick fireplaces, painted and unpainted, mantle and no mantle. i didn't like the look of any of them. i decided to just leave it as-is. got 2 new paintings and a mirror. new dining table and chairs. i turned the coffee table around. i think it shows off the shape more. new plant for the corner. i'm thinking these rooms are just about done, at least for now. might get something for the hearth on either side of the fireplace, but not yet sure what. don't want the same thing on both sides. i could get fireplace tools for one side and a tall ceramic vase for the other side? maybe. i don't think we'll ever use this fireplace though. any suggestions?
2 Likes   April 22, 2014 at 9:52PM
cappergirl
one more pic showing the mirror
0 Likes   April 22, 2014 at 9:53PM
Nancy Walton
I think you need an accent pillow on each of your sofas to pick up the red or orange in your painting, instead of the dark brown one.
1 Like   Thanked by cappergirl    April 22, 2014 at 10:34PM
cappergirl
wow, you are right. thank you!
0 Likes   April 23, 2014 at 1:55AM
Nancy Walton
You're welcome. Great job on the room, BTW, looks goods!
0 Likes   April 23, 2014 at 8:07AM
gypsyrose17
I love the poppies...ties everything in place. Good job :)
1 Like   April 24, 2014 at 2:39PM
cappergirl
what about decorations on the fireplace? needed or not?
0 Likes   April 24, 2014 at 4:59PM
gypsyrose17
If you were going to use the fireplace I would have a set of fireplace tools on one side and a black metal basket with tall handle which would hold a few logs and kindling on the other. Some white Birch would be a good wood for the d├ęcor.
0 Likes   April 24, 2014 at 5:40PM
Urgent help needed selecting curtains
Since I live in Canada will be dropping by Buffalo...
mmhassa2
Need help with selecting drapes/curtains
I have a floral couch that has a creamy/beige background...
victor1524
need help to select curtains and carpet colour
just bought the entire furniture (two seater+2 chairs+dinning...
sumegha
Need helping selecting curtains for my dining room
We just moved into a house that has a dining room that...
catis33
Need help with curtain selection and color
I have gray walls/white trim. 8ft. Ceilings. Windows...
junebe11
Kitchen Counter Dilemma!
Hi everyone! It's my first time posting! My husband...
Marissa DiGennaro Burg
rredpenn
Need ideas for living room furniture
I am moving to a house formerly resided by my father....
eveyum
need help choosing a modern kitchen sink
I like black but should I get matte granite, or shiny...
tootsiecharmaggie
What's your favorite holiday dish?
Do you wait all year for the perfect latkes? Countdown...