Flooring dilemma
petervazquez
Our home recently got flooded and is currently under repair and gutted so can't add a picture. We have a small 1500sf home in Hawai'i. We'd like to put carpet in the living room and bedrooms and are unsure about the rest of the house. We had laminate previously which resulted in random blistering possibly from our 4 children washing their hands or melting ice etc. I'm not jazzed on the wood looking tiles, but understand the durability makes it an attractive option. Everyone seems to push the luxury vinyl, but am unsure about the scratches and wear with 4 young children. I liked the 1' x 2' tiles for the kitchen and engineered wood for the rest of the house but thought that too many types of floor in such a small space would be a bad idea. We will have white cabinets and have black granite countertops. Kitchen is small and dark so wanted to lighten up wherever we could. Any advice is appreciated.
Lampert Dias Architects, Inc.
Since you are in Hawaii where the climate is warm, tropical and humid and there are a lot of small creatures like geckos crawling around. I would not recommend carpet in the living room and bedrooms. It's easier to keep hard surfaces clean then carpet.

One flooring material throughout the entire house will make it feel bigger.

I recommend the luxury vinyl commercial product version by Armstrong that looks like real wood. It has held up well in our projects.

If you are not sure about how it will hold up with kids etc, you can take some samples home and see how they handle under abuse before you make a final decision.
January 29, 2014 at 12:08am      Thanked by petervazquez
petervazquez
Thank you! Very much appreciated!
January 30, 2014 at 9:24am   
Kitchen floor dilemma-what kind of floor options do I have
I'll try to keep this short and sweet. I have a dilemma...
Flooring dilemma
We are renovating a home and we love the look of wood...
Flooring dilemma- Tear out brand new tile??? EEEK
We are re-doing our kitchen/ great room, which will...
Flooring dilemma
We are planning to rip the carpet out of our master...
Flooring Dilemma
We are updating a home built in the early 60's. Original...
Two twin antique beds for my girls need some lift up
After looking for two twin beds for my 6 and 2 year...
Need help with this guest room
This room is very small. I had the head board made...
free standing tub
What material should I choose ? resin or acrylic or...
One or two level island for this situation?
Hi, everyone! We are in the process of building...
Help design my country/vintage/modern idk what it is kitchen!
Okay, here is my kitchen. Just had the granite installed...