Flooring dilemma
petervazquez
January 28, 2014 in Design Dilemma
Our home recently got flooded and is currently under repair and gutted so can't add a picture. We have a small 1500sf home in Hawai'i. We'd like to put carpet in the living room and bedrooms and are unsure about the rest of the house. We had laminate previously which resulted in random blistering possibly from our 4 children washing their hands or melting ice etc. I'm not jazzed on the wood looking tiles, but understand the durability makes it an attractive option. Everyone seems to push the luxury vinyl, but am unsure about the scratches and wear with 4 young children. I liked the 1' x 2' tiles for the kitchen and engineered wood for the rest of the house but thought that too many types of floor in such a small space would be a bad idea. We will have white cabinets and have black granite countertops. Kitchen is small and dark so wanted to lighten up wherever we could. Any advice is appreciated.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
Lampert Dias Architects, Inc.
Since you are in Hawaii where the climate is warm, tropical and humid and there are a lot of small creatures like geckos crawling around. I would not recommend carpet in the living room and bedrooms. It's easier to keep hard surfaces clean then carpet.

One flooring material throughout the entire house will make it feel bigger.

I recommend the luxury vinyl commercial product version by Armstrong that looks like real wood. It has held up well in our projects.

If you are not sure about how it will hold up with kids etc, you can take some samples home and see how they handle under abuse before you make a final decision.
January 29, 2014 at 12:08am      Thanked by petervazquez
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
petervazquez
Thank you! Very much appreciated!
January 30, 2014 at 9:24am