Back again BUT with NEW sectional! Yay! Help with accent color!
mmhassa2
We've finally sold the old couch and got a brand new ikea section which is just perfect for our family. Its the Ikea Tidafors in grey/brown.

I have made some design swatches and looking for suggestions. Since the new set pretty much wiped off our budget for this room, Im looking for FRUGAL design ideas/suggestions. All but the lavender rug is indoor/outdoor rugs which are under $150. The accent pillows most I will sew myself, expect the plain lavender ones as they were $12.50 from Target.

The walls are Revere Pewter but I will re-paint the TV wall a few shades darker as Im not liking the stencilled wall. I'm not looking for suggestions on the empty space behind the couch (6 ft by 11 ft) as eventually (hopefully once Im done with the sitting area) we'll create a space for the kids (2 & 3 year old boys).

Need suggestions on:

Furniture placement: From the photos I see the furniture does not line up with the built ins. Any suggestions? Im thinking moving the section more to the left so the chaise lines up with the cabinet doors? Maybe add a side table on the right side of the section near the window?

Size of rug. Since small is cheaper should I aim at just covering the floor space from the chaise to the wall? The space is approx 8x8.
Color of rug: I want a rug that will go with most accent colors should I change it in the future which is why I picked out mostly grey rugs expect one lavender.
Pattern of rug: Im REALLY bad at this part...I desperately need help in keeping the room from getting TOO many patterns.

Accent chair: Are these OK? They are $140/each at Target. Im not sure if we should get 1 or 2?

Accent pillows: Again need help with selecting patterns which will look well with the rug/room. Also how many of each should I get? How should they be placed since its a long continuous curved piece? What size pillows? I can go any size as I'll be making them myself.
mmhassa2
Here are the RUG/Pillow choices:
January 29, 2014 at 7:04am   
Patricia Colwell
Not sure where you would put accent chairs, but love the pattern on them, why not for some cushions. I think I would choose a rug with some mauve in it but just textured, like shag and then go crazy with pattern and textured pillows. Not too many because people always move them when they sit, make sure to get some different shapes and sizes too.You will need some kind of coffee table , maybe a bigger ottoman with a tray and then you can lose the small footstool and the bench in front of the fireplace.
January 29, 2014 at 7:26am        Thanked by mmhassa2
imjustadream
Try red pillows. It really Britons up the room. But not too many, for red is a very strong color.
January 29, 2014 at 7:29am   
mmhassa2
Patricia, Opps sorry I was going to add them front of the 2 cabinets and move the Ottoman to the center. I know if the photo it seems like there isnt much space but the area is cozy and will be able to fit 2 chair for additional seating and a splash of color?
January 29, 2014 at 7:36am   
Patricia Colwell
Then go for them, but I would take them on approval if you can, sometimes stuff just doesn't work . They are pretty nice.
January 29, 2014 at 7:45am   
mmhassa2
Thanks...from the rugs I posted any choices?
January 29, 2014 at 7:47am   
mmhassa2
This room seems to have similar colors for the look Im aiming for...just dont know if the chevron pattern rug will work for our room?
January 29, 2014 at 8:01am   
mmhassa2
Im hoping to order the items today...would really like advice on the rug :)
January 29, 2014 at 9:16am   
mmhassa2
Please guys/gals...suggest which rug from the above I should go with?
February 3, 2014 at 4:57pm   
katbarnes231979
I like the rug in option 2 the best. I don't think you could go wrong with any of these! Where did you find these rugs?
February 3, 2014 at 5:33pm   
mmhassa2
Do you mean the lavender one? All the rugs are from overstock :)
February 3, 2014 at 5:45pm   
katbarnes231979
My favorite is the one you have marked option 2 - it looks grey and white, not sure what you call the pattern. But I really like all the options! Lavender would be great for an accent color, but you are more married to it if you get the rug in that color. I'm not an expert on this by any means!
February 3, 2014 at 5:55pm      Thanked by mmhassa2
mmhassa2
Shameless bump for more suggestions ;)
February 4, 2014 at 3:48pm   
Jacque Berg
I like option 3 for the rug ( It's 4 in the post right after). it has a smaller contrast pattern. but either gray would be the best neutral in case you change the lavender accent color.
February 4, 2014 at 3:55pm   
New sectional - olive color help!!!
What colors should I incorporate with this olive colored...
New help finding accent color
I just purchased this Birgitta bedding set from Z Gallerie...
New home - living room design help - accent color and curtains
Building a new home and trying to design living room,...
New Home - help with color and accents
I'm moving into a new home in August - townhouse. ...
Need help deciding on new accent color.
Tired of the red accent color. Want something new and...
Rug or no rug?
We just got a brand new dining room table for a townhouse...
Not quite right rug?
Keep going back and forth on whether this rug is too...
Rug for a round dining table
We have a 5' round glass table (with same base.) The...
Need help with design layout for open plan living for family of 5
We are moving into a 1000 sq ft condo and we have 3...
Curb appeal help!
We bought this house last fall. We love the corner...