Bedroom with antiques and modern furniture
jiggerr
I love the blue and white in my bedroom, but had to include family antiques (oak). I could recover the chaise lounge, but I'm not in love with it and it blocks a set of French doors. Tried it at end of bed, but keep running into it-ha!
Would a chair look better in corner?
Inspired Interiors by Wendi, IIDA
I recommend leaving the corner empty, as whatever you put there will block the French doors.
January 29, 2014 at 2:23pm     
jiggerr
Here is more
January 29, 2014 at 2:23pm   
2dogssashatess
chaise lounge is a bit chunky. I would get rid of it
January 29, 2014 at 2:25pm     
jiggerr
I moved it. Does this look better?
January 29, 2014 at 2:47pm     
Inspired Interiors by Wendi, IIDA
Much better! Not only were you blocking the doors, but that beautiful view. Now you can see the pool when you are laying in bed.
January 29, 2014 at 2:50pm     
Warner Decor
hi! I love the color of your room! I would recommend doing a chair and reading lamp in the corner to create a little space for yourself. Here are a few chairs that I found:
http://deciture.com/shop/furniture/9/linen-tufted-devon-slipper-chair/
http://deciture.com/shop/furniture/9/cute-button-erin-chair/

Hope this helps!
January 29, 2014 at 2:59pm     
mfwolfe
The antiques are beautiful as is the wall color and the view. However the shutters around the bed make me shudder. The color is a bit jarring. Are they better in person?
January 29, 2014 at 3:03pm   
LoobyGuru
I love your blue and white too. The room does look better without the chaise. A little chair is always useful in a bedroom, I'd perhaps look for a delicate one that will allow you to move it to wherever you may need it, and if it does go in the corner it won't block much of the view.
January 29, 2014 at 3:06pm     
jiggerr
I'll post a picture tomorrow with shutters open. I have them on all the windows in the house. Unfortunately, these windows aren't centered in room( house built 1959) so the bed has nowhere else to go
January 29, 2014 at 3:20pm   
dianahb
Before I get rid of the chaise lounge, I'd probably eliminate the smaller cabinets on either side of the closet. They seem redundant and take up space. The chaise I kind of like-- although I don't like the business of the fancy wood along the top. Unless you're wedded to this as an antique, I'd see about removing those 2 sections (sometimes they're separate pieces attached to the back), and then I think you'd actually like the chaise better. Except for that businesses at the top, it has nice lines.
And maybe if you got another bed (helping you spend money here) that didn't have such a busy and high back-- a much lower bed-- then you could maybe change the configuration of the furniture more easily?
I love the blue, too, and the doors.
January 29, 2014 at 3:30pm     
jiggerr
If you have any ideas for a different bed, I'm interested!!
January 29, 2014 at 3:51pm   
dianahb
Well, I personally love fairly minimalist beds-- love platform beds-- though that may not be your taste. But here's one. Though this one is too expensive, it's just an idea-- and you don't have to go with fabric-- just wood-- but very simplistic (and you can get them much less expensive than this)-- and I just love them. The textiles on the bed stand out more, and everything else in your room gets to have a presence, and won't have to compete with the bed.

I just really like the clean lines of them (easy to make the bed, too). Anyway, something like this would be low enough to really allow you to change your room around. Right now, you're limited by the height of your bed, plus the business of it-- which I think really competes with so much else in there. With those shutters (which I happen to like)-- a simpler bed wouldn't compete with them, either. http://www.allmodern.com/True-Modern-Dane-Platform-Bed-F26-1000-Dane-EVH1109.html
January 29, 2014 at 4:07pm     
ExclusiveMod Furniture
The chairs Warner Decor reccommended looks like it fits right in your bedroom
May 24, 2014 at 12:36pm   
bgfuqua
I love the chaise - please do not remove any wood. the French doors look better without it. I would find a spot for it somewhere in my house - even back at foot of bed and train myself not to bump into it. maybe if you change your bed as suggested, a different room arrangement will give the chaise a spot.
May 24, 2014 at 1:27pm   
chemayne
Can we play furniture-go-round?
Have you tried arranging the bed facing the french doors?
Angled into the room?

For bedside tables use the brown unit currenly closest to the french doors and the smaller of the 2 lonely cabinets (looks about the same height)

This frees up wall space beside the french doors for the chaise.

Remove the other cabinet (with orchid)
Haven't figured out yet where to put your white bedside table.

May 24, 2014 at 6:11pm     
Can antique furniture fit in with modern furniture?
I've got a lovely antique writing desk similar to the...
Modernizing antique furniture
FH = traditionalist; I'm= transitional/modern. I'm...
How make antique furniture modern
My fiancé and I have been given a family friend's...
Dining Room Help - Incorporating antique furniture into modern home
Hey Houzzers! I'm new to this site and I'm looking...
modern look to antique furniture
Hi.. how does one gel modern with antique furniture?...
Entry Way Guidance
I would love to get thoughts on ways to make my entry...
What's your dream kitchen style?
Minimalist, farmhouse, traditional, rustic... Which...
Drape-gate
Due to a Houzz issue and amount of comments on the...
Should I replace the cabinets?
I bought a house from the 60s. Wallpaper, shag carpet,...
Mixing shades and blinds in same room?
The evening sun streams in the upper windows of our...