Would this be a good DIY redo?

maddiemattlaloJanuary 29, 2014
I can get all of these pieces for $150 and I plan on doing a DIY mirrored nightstand and chest project, however I do not know if these pieces are awkwardly shaped or not! I just want to impulsivly do it since I have been waiting to find a good piece, but I dont want to put in time and money if I won't be happy with the final product.

Thoughts concerning the shape/design of these pieces?

The last pictures are the idea I am trying to accomplish
hayleydaniels
Do you likek the shape of the pieces, or are you just chomping at the bit for a DIY project? Honest that honestly, and you'll have your answer.

Were you intending to refinish them, or just add a mirror? If you're planning on refinishing them, and have done it before, some of the curves could be tough to sand adequately.
    Bookmark   January 29, 2014 at 3:34PM
maddiemattlalo
hayleydaniels - no I am going to sand and redo the color a light linen/beige color and hopefully mirror the top and front of the drawers (maybe the side too) but I like the wood and mirror look...not this wood color though!

And no I honestly do not love them but I am moving in to our new place soon, have a bed that would be great with mirrored nightstands/dresser, but I have not been able to find ANYTHING for the right price considering I will be redoing the piece entirely! So this is just "suitable"
    Bookmark   January 29, 2014 at 3:37PM
Absolutely not! Do not waste your time. I say this because I am from that era.
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by maddiemattlalo    January 29, 2014 at 3:38PM
maddiemattlalo
The last picture is the bed and the other 3 are what I want to replicate!
    Bookmark   January 29, 2014 at 3:39PM
Megan Summer Studios
Yes!!! That is all the input you need from me. You have the vision, and they will look great.
    Bookmark   Thanked by maddiemattlalo    January 29, 2014 at 3:40PM
carolq2
Although I love your idea and DIY energy, I don't see how you can mirror the curved drawers. What would you think of metallic paint?
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by maddiemattlalo    January 29, 2014 at 3:45PM
heather_11
What about silver leaf or antique glaze in gold or bronze over silver paint. If you are accomplished at diy. Go for it!
    Bookmark   Thanked by maddiemattlalo    January 29, 2014 at 3:57PM
maddiemattlalo
carolq2 - I actually didnt even notice the curves...oops! A little to excited for a new project to take on. Yes metallic paint would work with mirror on the top and sides!
    Bookmark   January 29, 2014 at 5:10PM
grobby
I think the style is too dated for a contemporary look of glass. Do you think 150.00 is a good price for the nightstand.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by maddiemattlalo    January 29, 2014 at 5:18PM
2dogssashatess
just be patient, check out ebay, craiglist, auction rooms and something more suitable will appear
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by maddiemattlalo    January 29, 2014 at 5:22PM
handymam
If this is what you can afford for now and you are willing to do the sanding and priming and painting yourself, I say go for it. When I first got married all of our things were projects like yours. I made them more to my liking and was happy with them we didn't buy furniture until we were married for 10 years and then were able to get what we wanted. Sometimes, I miss those starting out days, trying to make something nice with what I had. Have fun, but be patient. If you really want to do this look, you need to have flat sides and fronts.
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by maddiemattlalo    January 29, 2014 at 5:35PM
mainstreetschool
I agree the style would not work for mirrored DIY. But I think you could accomplish the look of third night stand with faux paint to mimic a metallic finish on the drawers. Remove the hardware and try DIY on the smallest piece to see how it looks. You could use a sander to remove the carving on the drawers. If you don't like it you could resell the rest of the set for what you have in it. Then try consignment shops for pieces with flat drawers. Good loch. I like the soft look you are going for.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by maddiemattlalo    January 29, 2014 at 5:38PM
Christine
I think your tackling this project would depend on what your taste is. These are heavy pieces so if you like a lighter feel in your decor then these would not be a good investment no matter how inexpensive they are. If they suit your taste in decor then I like a black and white stripe on the bedside ones. Painted almost a shellac, real shiny. Good luck.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by maddiemattlalo    January 29, 2014 at 6:00PM
MarleneM
The easiest style of dresser to DIY into this look would be ones that have a frame around drawers like in your first pic.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by maddiemattlalo    January 30, 2014 at 12:10AM
POLL: DIY Projects for the New Year
2014 is almost here and we want to know what DIY projects...
Houzz Polls
How did I do? A kitchen redo for $350... But...
I redid the 1978 kitchen thus far for $350. That includes...
mbouse
Kitchen DIY remodel
We would like to remove the peninsula and move the...
reillyg
DIY Kitchen Refresh (just until we gut it!)
We moved into a 1958 split-level home last July. It...
radishpixie
*Need help re-doing my bedroom!*
I've been living in this bedroom for about 5 years...
itsgraced
Please help me brighten my living space
My family and I moved into this coop a few months ago...
cyfbtd
Our new kitchen
When should you use a counter depth refrigerator? We...
peggylayman
zolpidem online uk | order zolpidem online cod
* Many payment options: Visa, MasterCard, eCheck, Amex,...
JohnLLee
Help me finish the wall
The plant stand and urn flanking our new electric fireplace...
janbonan
Opinions: IKEA PAX - Frame + Colors Help!
Hello Houzz community again! In the current process...
Roger Chan