Help with colors for my kitchen!

dinsamJanuary 29, 2014
How can I keep a neutral bright look in this kitchen, while keeping the white tile??
The kitchen now is all white basically. The house theme in the living room and bathrooms are neutral tones (warm, medium color hardwood, dark beige tiles in bathrooms, warm lighting) I want to keep the kitchen mostly light colored with some grey and sand color that flows with white tile and stainless steel appliances (they will be new).

Backsplash, counter top, color of cabinets, appliances, trim, window covering are all up for suggestions please! I'm hoping to find an 80/20 ratio of light beighesh colors to grey or browns... not sure how to make this work.....please help, thank you!
Mandie Click
Simplest ways to do this would be adding accents of your neutral colors. Examples could be changing out your hardware on the cabinets. Maybe remove a couple of the cabinet doors and paint the back of the cabinet in a warm neutral color. You could also paint the raised front panel on the cabinet a very light gray to add further interest.

Ballard Farmhouse · More Info
Edgecomb Gray HC-173 Paint · More Info
Happy Trails 418-4 by PPG Pittsburgh Paints · More Info
Fused Glass Cabinet Pull Knob Hardware Caramel · More Info
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by dinsam    January 29, 2014 at 11:28PM
Kevin Strader
I agree with changing out the hardware to something that stands out more from the cabinets. Granite on the counters can also add interest. Lastly, bring out the brown tones or add a "POP" of color with a new backsplash.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by dinsam    January 30, 2014 at 8:09AM
Are you going to take out the washing machine?
1 Like    Bookmark   January 30, 2014 at 8:17AM
Mandie Click
Love the brilliant red subway tiles with the darker granite with white cabinets. You could even add a coordinating floor mat to bring in more color. If you have the ability to do so forgo the tiles and go with a granite back splash as well. This will make it naturally beautiful and cohesive just find a slab with great veining and colors. Add under cabinet lights to really make it shine.

Setting fruits out on the counter in a glass bowl will add even more color like lemons, limes or oranges. I was thinking the same thing as Margo but could moving it even be an option?
    Bookmark   Thanked by dinsam    January 30, 2014 at 9:39AM
Kevin Strader
Do you mean something like this, with a brushed nickel knob?
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by dinsam    January 30, 2014 at 10:43AM
Mandie Click
That looks really nice, and then the stainless steel appliances will be gleaming from the color combo. It is going to look great like this!
    Bookmark   January 30, 2014 at 10:54AM
Eye 4 Color/Paint Smart Studio
Are you able to change out the white tile floor? I also, really can't tell, but, is the back splash a simple white tile or is it sort of grayish? It's hard to tell from the photo. Also, what is you budget for the project?
    Bookmark   January 30, 2014 at 11:05AM
Wow, how did this question morph from a request for some grays, beiges and browns to a bright red backsplash? I have to say I do not like the red backsplasy, and I think that either simple accents in the room (or if you want a new countertop and backsplash then the use of the more subtle tones you asked about in those areas) will make a big difference. Getting in the new appliances will update the look as well. Personally, I'd go with neutral whites and grays and leave any reds for small pops of accent color that aren't permanent features.
Historic cottage renovation kitchen · More Info
5 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by dinsam    January 30, 2014 at 11:08AM
BacksplashIdeas.com
To add a splash of color you may want to try the 3''x6'' glass Aspect tiles in Wild Strawberry.
    Bookmark   January 30, 2014 at 11:45AM
leelee
Your kitchen looks almost clinical. Add some color. Aqua or green in dishtowels, potholders and definitely a rug.
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by dinsam    January 30, 2014 at 12:33PM
dinsam
Great points and suggestions! Thanks so much! I really like the colors and ideas, the pictures are so helpful. Love the red accents, didn't think of them. Am excited to add color, before I was scared. But it definitely does look "clinical" now, lol! Thanks again : )
1 Like    Bookmark   January 30, 2014 at 6:29PM
dinsam
Oh and currently the counter and backsplash are light grey. the washing machine will go and the budget is $4K. Tile is going to stay though : / am glad about the suggestion of a rug though, that will help a lot.
1 Like    Bookmark   January 30, 2014 at 6:31PM
Mandie Click
Since you have a budget you might be able to look at some Wilsonart HD laminate:

Quite budget friendly and is much more affordable but looks just as stunning.

Mosaic tile like:
Loft Cherry Red Frosted Glass Tiles · More Info
(@ around 15.95 per sheet) you might shop around to get even better prices.

Knobs and hardware are everywhere! There is a huge array of different kinds, shapes, colors and materials. Find ones that speak to you best. You might even score at salvage yards, internet stores or Houzz ;)
Red with White Confetti Fused Glass Knob · More Info
Hafele 134.45.602 Stainless Steel Cabinet Knobs · More Info

Check the clearance aisle at local department and home improvement stores. There are some amazing gems and quality products.

Good luck friend, and I hope you'll share photos often!
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by dinsam    January 30, 2014 at 7:32PM
grownedup
There are many good suggestions, but I'll still toss in my own thoughts :D. I will say that a pop of color makes a world of difference, but you can do it with neutral tones.

First, I suggest re-grouting your floor with a color similar to your floor color (light gray, off-white, white). Home Depot sells a product called polyblend (http://www.homedepot.com/p/10-Antique-White-8-fl-oz-Grout-Renew-GCL10HPT/100096585).

Since you're taking out the washer, I would suggest putting in a dishwasher (from your picture I can't tell if you have one next to the washer). I feel that corner can be re-arranged to make it more functional for you.

There are a new line of appliances being made by GE that have a slate finish (http://www.geappliances.com/design_center/slate-appliances/) that will help keep in line with the neutral theme, and help tie their appearance together.

You can get pops of color by changing your counter top to a stone (granite, soapstone), and it comes in many colors. There is an overall color to it, but there are also other colors imbedded in the stone. On your cabinets, you can choose colors that focuses on specific colors in your stone, or goes with the overall theme. You can also get knobs made out of stone. I would check if a local stone business can make knobs based on the stone you choose (if you go that route).

The backsplash gives another opportunity to play with color. Many textures and colors exist, as stated above, that you can use. You want to make sure it compliments the colors you choose. For example, if you use a black granite countertop with green tones (http://classicgranitemarble.com/product/granite/granite-2/# - peacock green), you can go with a backsplash that has glass in it.

Good luck to you :)
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by dinsam    January 30, 2014 at 8:53PM
dinsam
great suggestions! I'll be working on this the next week and post updates/questions! Thanks a lot!
    Bookmark   February 1, 2014 at 11:28AM
dinsam
Grownedup, I LOVE the GE slate appliances! and they're pictures there are really encouraging. thanks!
    Bookmark   February 1, 2014 at 11:32AM
leelee
The rugs I posted above are from Plow and Hearth. They're indoor/outdoor so they should work great in a kitchen (you would probably need a really thin non-skid rug pad)
    Bookmark   February 1, 2014 at 11:36AM
Glass Tile Store
Mandie Click's ideas look great to me!
1 Like    Bookmark   February 2, 2014 at 10:52AM
Need help choosing colors for my kitchen cabinets and floors.
We are looking for ideas/opinions/experiences for our...
hillshire
Need help on colors for my kitchen/dining
My kitchen/living/dining are all combined into a large...
Ana Zisa
Help choosing a color for my kitchen
I like to paint the kitchen walls but not sure what...
rosanne valles
Need help adding color to my kitchen with a rug
Just received our new chairs for our kitchen table...
laconn
Need help on paint colors for my kitchen/mezanine
I have a kitchen with 16 foot walls that is attached...
spiridij
What color for the entryway wall?
We recently purchased an MCM Techbuilt home and painted...
interrobanged
The Perfect House in The Perfect Location
Our location poll goes up for voting on March 1!
Grey paint
Looking for a warm but dark grey almost charcoal to...
Garrett Dillon Crafted Kitchens & Furniture
upholstery fabric color that go with purple?
I'm painting my bedroom walls dark purple (aubergine),...
vhormazabal
Help w/ wall color to go with slate floor & dark wood trim in sunroom
The walls are currently painted Benjamin Moore Sherwood...
lnmelon