What can I do with this waste of space behind my sofa?
Stacey Bigham
This is a long narrow area in my great room it needs something now that the Christmas tree is down. My ceilings are 12 foot tall I need something that will not get lost.
lucidos
The house always looks so unloved and bare after the holidays. Pendant lights in the arches would look great. Also adding sofa tables.
January 30, 2014 at 12:57AM     
lucidos
Grrr...
January 30, 2014 at 12:58AM        Thanked by Stacey Bigham
cbsharples
Had you thought of a timber Entry or Hall table which sits below the ledge height. Could be furnished with a pile of hard cover books and/or candle stick, or photo frame, anything of conversation piece goes well in a living area looks like you have the touch to have some inspiration.
January 30, 2014 at 1:01AM     
cbsharples
could even put wall sconces between the arches to give a bit of mood lighting
January 30, 2014 at 1:03AM     
A stunning long carpet could draw the eye downwards and fill the empty space.
January 30, 2014 at 1:29AM        Thanked by Stacey Bigham
patunya
If you're up for a new challenge get a custom built pond/aquarium along the wall. They are magical specialy when you hit the lights on :) However it is not a cheap investment and it takes dedication before you can enjoy it. These days you can get such top notch equipment that does all the work for you so you don't need stressing over it every few days.

[houzz=Alchemy]

[houzz=Spiritual elegance concealing function]
January 30, 2014 at 2:01AM        Thanked by Stacey Bigham
katezucconi
I would suggest putting a console table up against the wall where the arches are and then putting a table lamp on each end, to give some soft lighting. You could then put a beautiful vase or collection of objects on the shelf in each alcove to soften them and give some interest to the room.
January 30, 2014 at 2:19AM        Thanked by Stacey Bigham
Mark
If you have the light for them, a tall indoor tree in front of the arches would soften that long wall and add that greenery that you are missing from Christmas.
January 30, 2014 at 2:23AM        Thanked by Stacey Bigham
CDR Design
Hi, you have a beautiful space, but it is not set up correctly. I would need to see more photos.

Is there a way to break up the sectional? I feel like the room is so large it needs more than one seating area and the window area should be open.
January 30, 2014 at 3:02AM        Thanked by Stacey Bigham
Stacey Bigham
Thanks everyone for the great advice, I have been console tables is something I am leaning towards. This room opens up to my kitchen and my sectional is a 7 piece it can seat about 20, I am not lacking in the seating area. Attached is the rest of the room
January 30, 2014 at 3:46AM     
indianpatti
Hanging a large piece of art on that bare hallway wall would look nice .. it could be seen through the middle arch when in the living room.
January 30, 2014 at 3:56AM      Thanked by Stacey Bigham
CDR Design
I see you are not lacking seating. The room is not arranged correctly. A sofa table will only add clutter.
January 30, 2014 at 4:00AM      Thanked by Stacey Bigham
Sara Bederman Interior Design
A console behind the sofa would be super or alternatively a long console on the wall where the arches are. That way you could display taller items to give the arches a bit more interest.
January 30, 2014 at 5:39AM        Thanked by Stacey Bigham
happyasaclam
Consoles for behind the sofa - too rustic?
January 30, 2014 at 7:49AM   
happyasaclam
I see that you do like to bring the outside in, but in a little more formal, refined look i.e. the topiarys and the cranes on the mantle. I gather that you also like to entertain. I love the idea of consoles behind the sectional, but I worry that they will become a place for guest to put their empty glasses on and that someone might accidentally knock something off of the the console with their elbow when then they turn to talk to another guest with their arm on the back of the sectional.
January 30, 2014 at 7:57AM   
CDR Design
Form follows function. As happyasaclam mentioned, if you place a table there just to be placing a table there, it will never look good and never work.

Can we see a photo of the window area?

Are you will to take apart the sectional or move it in another direction?
January 30, 2014 at 8:06AM   
January 30, 2014 at 8:18AM        Thanked by Stacey Bigham
It's hard to tell from your photos, but I think CDR is right. You have a huge room with this little island floating in the middle and bare space all around. Sofa tables will simply amplify the effect.

The seating area feels a little too cozy while the rest of the room feels barren. I wouldn't feel comfortable sitting in a row with 19 other people on that sectional. I suspect there's a better arrangement, something that involves a few chairs, perhaps ottomans, too.
January 30, 2014 at 8:21AM     
CDR Design
I don't know who sits on the couch. While some people just love to cozy up to others, some are not comfortable in what they consider a "trapped" space and you have 18 of those on the sectional: 20 spaces, minus the 2 ends ones.

Personally, I wouldn't want to climb in the center of the sectional and then wonder how I will gracefully exit, walking buy all those people.

The room has so much potential which is not being utilized.
January 30, 2014 at 8:27AM     
happyasaclam
You go, grover! :)
January 30, 2014 at 8:30AM   
happyasaclam
And CDR! :)
January 30, 2014 at 8:31AM   
CDR Design
I would remove the small tray and the two items on it. Off scale for size of room.

Stacey, I often see this: clients think their issue is that they "need something else".
Design is about functionality and the correct balance and use of space. This is the part I love, but I can see why it is very boring to some and they want to quickly move on to the "fun" part.

Adding "something else" is a smaller part that comes in the end of the process.

We need to get your room functioning correctly before you add any more things.
January 30, 2014 at 9:06AM   
happyasaclam
Maybe you should take everything away, including the things on the mantle and take more pictures from all angles of the room. Then we can see if a different arrangement of the furniture works better and then start adding things back. :)
January 30, 2014 at 9:12AM   
CDR Design
That's the best way to do it.

That is an entertainment center with tv, that just looks like a mantle, right?
January 30, 2014 at 9:29AM   
flsue1
You need color and interest...a console table behind the sofa in that space with some interesting accessories, pillows on the sofa, colorful things on the coffee table. It's very drab, think of colors and things you love...plants, books, rugs, etc.
January 30, 2014 at 9:32AM   
happyasaclam
Ya know CDR, I think the whole thing is an entertainment center and the "fireplace" is the tv.
January 30, 2014 at 9:51AM   
CDR Design
Right.....I believe it is an entertainment center.
January 30, 2014 at 9:55AM     
Ernesto Garcia Interior Design, LLC
The back of the sofa and adjacent wall have virtually created a long and narrow hallway in your space. You need a design feature that will add movement and variety to a long and narrow space.
To judge by your existing furniture ensemble your taste is definitely eclectic. Your sofa frame is very contemporary. Not every sofa-table has to be rectilinear.
Please take a look at the Contemporary Modern Project in my profile; in the living room you will see a large sofa with a sofa table that curbs out (the vertical supports reminisce the structure of a keel). Like you, I had tall ceilings to deal with and the back of the sofa was facing the foyer: I needed to create an element of "interest" and a bunch of square shelvings was not going to do the trick.
You do need a strong feature to compensate the scale of the sofa and the height of your ceiling. You can run a long sofa table along the back of your sectional, but it has to have some design feature that breaks the tunnel effect.
Another element that would punctuate the "walk" by the sectional would be contemporary candle sticks lamp, perhaps half a dozen of them; they would create a "virtual" plane between the seating area and the circulation behind and provide additional light for reading when seating at that side of the sectional. Good luck!
Ernesto Garcia, ASID
January 30, 2014 at 11:02AM     
Sofa table like the ones above. Under it place square ottomans. Go a bold color or a zebra for fun. On top tall candles, plants a few books. But don't over do.
January 31, 2014 at 8:50AM   
the essentials inside
I think this sofa table would look nice behind it and also with the Entertainment center. We carry this at our store and many others. We offer free shipping and no sales tax.

Please feel free to contact me if you need any help or questions at contact@essentialsinside.com.

Sue

Irina, Mango Wood Console Table by Uttermost, available at www.essentialsinside.com
This console table features plantation grown mango wood with mindi wood veneer finished in hand rubbed cinnamon with heavy antiquing, gold leaf carved accents and two dovetail drawers.

Fine Points:
Height: 34 in.
Width: 52 in.
Depth: 18 in.
Weight: 114 lbs.
January 31, 2014 at 10:54AM   
Help ! 3 solid oak vanities in new house!
Three bathroom in new house all with solid oak vanities....
Need help for my bedroom design
Hi! Recently we had extension of our house. This is...
Help design my country/vintage/modern idk what it is kitchen!
okay, here is my kitchen. Just had the granite installed...
Help choosing a backsplash and paint for kitchen
We have just gone through a HUGE kitchen remodel and...