I need ideas for the exterior of this 1965 split level
K. Rose Inspiring Spaces
We have just purchased this 1965 split level. We need to give it some curb appeal. I have looked at a lot of pictures of split levels but I haven't found any that look like this one. If anyone has any information on this style of split level, please share it with me! We have some ideas but I would love to hear more!
Coastal Windows & Exteriors
What shape is your siding in? It looks like your roof is okay. Most of the attention of the eye is directed towards the large bow window. Are you aiming for curb appeal as part of a resale project? A new entry door could be the solution you're looking for, it would look awesome with the nice bow window. I highly recommend you check out Remodeling Magazine's 2014 Cost. Vs. Value Report (http://mycoastalwindows.com/coastal/2014-roi-leaders-cost-vs-value/ ). Entry Doors not only provide high curb appeal, they also are the only product that re-coops cost over 100%. This means you make money by spending money. Doors with sidelights, especially Steel Doors with sidelights, will give you the most resale value and give you the most dramatic curb appeal.

1 Like   Thanked by K. Rose Inspiring Spaces    January 30, 2014 at 8:05AM
juliab51
You might want to take a look at this plan book for remodeling split level and split entry homes put out by a number of Minnesota communities: http://www.ci.coon-rapids.mn.us/planning/pdf/PlanningSplit_VisionsPlanbook.pdf
1 Like   Thanked by K. Rose Inspiring Spaces    January 30, 2014 at 8:23AM
HI -- If you straightened out that post ,which looks distracting ,in front then paint the house a nice rich color , then it would look less washed out in the winter . You could add more trim around the front door or even a new front door and paint it a great bright color. If you searched "Modern Split Levels exteriors " on Houzz ,you will get lots of ideas . It all depends on how much you are wanting to do , a little or a lot .
2 Likes   Thanked by K. Rose Inspiring Spaces    January 30, 2014 at 8:36AM
K. Rose Inspiring Spaces
We will be replacing the siding and were considering building out a overhang with stone pillars at the front door entrance. We plan to live there for some time. It is by far the ugliest house in the neighborhood so we have some work to do. I think a new door is definitely in order. Thank you for your suggestions! I will definitely check out the plan book for split levels.
0 Likes   January 30, 2014 at 8:37AM
K. Rose Inspiring Spaces
lefty47, I agree with you about that crooked post. It is really ugly! I definitely want to go with a rich color for the house. I am even considering a warm gray on the house with a bright door as you said. Or possibly make it look kind of prairie style with a "wood" door and garage door. I will definitely search Modern Split Levels and look for more ideas. Thanks!
0 Likes   January 30, 2014 at 8:55AM
DMH DESIGN
This house, to me, has many interesting traits. I would address the entry door, and the blank space above it, as with the gable above the bedroom windows. I would choose a body color more complimentary with the stone, and then possibly step that color down for the trim color. The column, I believe, shows "rugged individualism" and I think you have a number of other places to use your resources first. Given a healthy budget, you could address updating the siding, windows and landscaping, however, if your inspection didn't raise any red flags about your siding, you can save yourself thousands of dollars in labor and materials in terms of the siding. If your windows have not been updated, that is recommended. Otherwise, I think the rest of your needs boil down to a couple of minor mods at the entry (door) (transom?), painting and some landscaping. Happy Houzzing.
1 Like   Thanked by K. Rose Inspiring Spaces    February 1, 2014 at 11:43AM
K. Rose Inspiring Spaces
Thank you DMH DESIGN. Most of the windows are new and we aren't sure yet whether we will be painting the existing siding or replacing it. We have a good amount of work to do inside so if we can save money by not replacing the siding I am all for it. I am excited to get started on this project!
1 Like   February 1, 2014 at 12:04PM
DMH DESIGN
You're most welcome. I wish you well moving forward.
1 Like   February 1, 2014 at 1:08PM
Barbara Griffith Designs
The most distracting thing is the angled (bean?) section to the left of the window. I would square it out (frame it) and then side it. And of course, a new door set. Keep the levels all closer to the same color. Choose a med tone color from the bottom portion (brick?) for the upper portion.
1 Like   Thanked by K. Rose Inspiring Spaces    February 1, 2014 at 2:36PM
K. Rose Inspiring Spaces
We aren't done yet but here is our progress so far!
2 Likes   June 18, 2014 at 12:17PM
Dar Eckert
You may want to consider a sidewalk to the street. Guests parking in the street have a long walk to get to the door. The sidewalk would also emphasize the entrance.

1 Like   Thanked by K. Rose Inspiring Spaces    June 18, 2014 at 2:38PM
We need inspiration and ideas for our split level exterior
We have the opportunity to put some money into our...
Love our split level but need ideas for exterior
We are doing the exterior next, need a new fresh look...thinking...
Need help with/ideas for exterior remodel of split level
We would like to update the facade of our 1956 split...
Need ideas for split level exterior
This home needs help. I have painted the garage door...
Need coordinating colors
Just painted living room Analytical Gray from Sherwin...
Using a toilet paper holder for a wall towel holder
I'm looking for a small horizontal bar to use as a...
Transition nightmare.
Prior owners left this space between kitchen and breakfast...
Need help working with my current things in living room
I have brown sofa, 2 black leather chairs and one wingback....