hansjr
February 3, 2012 in Photo Questions
Love the cedar shingles. Can you tell me what color the stain is? Beautiful!
Paul Moon Design
It is a custom dye/stain to make them look like the natural driftwood color once weathered.

You can call Cabot customer service and they can advise you how to achieve this look.
February 6, 2012 at 9:07AM     
hansjr
Great, thanks for the info. I thought it looked like Cabot's Dune Gray but hard to tell in a picture. We have cedar shingles that we will need to re-stain shortly and also use Cabot semi-transparent stains. Do you have a specific contact at Cabot that I could get? It helps to work with the same person if possible.
February 6, 2012 at 10:43AM   
Paul Moon Design
I do not. I would just call the customer service and ask how you make the shingles look like the cape cod houses. It is 1/2 bleach (not dye, I spoke incorrectly) and 1/2 a specific color.

Good luck!
February 6, 2012 at 1:05PM     
sgr73
Thank you! Great advice re: stain
May 14, 2012 at 10:15PM   
jenduncan
Hey Paul....I just saw this house featured in Traditional Home....Stunning!! Can you give me advice...I'm building this style in Dallas. Should I use a faux shake? Do you recommend any that look good...this style is not built often at all here. I'm worried that real Cedar will be hard to maintain....your thoughts???
May 27, 2012 at 7:26PM   
Paul Moon Design
Hi Jen -

I would not use faux shake. Cedar is a bit of maintenance but you can't beat its richness. I don't think you will achieve this look if you don't use real wood.
Thank you for the kind words and good luck with your house.
May 27, 2012 at 8:54PM   
dnamama
Paul, Respect your opinion. Looking at a product that compares very favorably w cedar but w a great care/maintenance profile for the NJ Shore: NuCedar. Thoughts? Any experience? Thanks! It's at www.nucedar.com
August 2, 2014 at 4:01AM   
Family room needs help
Not sure if coffee table suits the room. Looking for...
Gas fireplace update
I'm looking to update this fireplace. It's the eye...
Ideas for coffee table or ottoman
Hello Houzers, I have gotten so hung up on what shape/style...
Complimentary Colors with brown and green for family room
I need help updating my family room. I think I like...
Help with Backsplash
Countertops are torquay cambria quartz and I am thinking...