Design opinion- wood vs vinyl new windows
Wauwinet Sunsets
January 30, 2014 in Design Dilemma
The house is about 50 years old and traditional colonial style in New England... Would love to gather opinions of the type of windows to replace. Wood vs vinyl? Thank you!!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Loom Decor
What a beautiful house! While they have come a long way with replacement windows, wooden windows still last longer and provide better insulation if you ask us. Not only that, but they also add more value to your home than a vinyl window. Plus, the more traditional look fits perfectly with your home. Hope this helps! Happy Decorating!

Design It Yourself Decor | loomdecor.com | blair@loomdecor.com
January 30, 2014 at 10:06AM     
PRO
HERE Design and Architecture
While wood windows eventually require some upkeep, you can paint and repair them as you like, where vinyl is much less flexible in that way. Between that and the fact that it always looks like plastic, I personally rarely use vinyl. I have had very good experiences with wood windows that are clad with aluminum and have a factory-applied paint finish.
January 30, 2014 at 10:08AM     
PRO
Specialty Doors
vinyl looks just as good if not better, much more efficient and less maintainence... or anything other than wood. No one keeps wood or vinyl windows THAT long these days anyhow.
January 30, 2014 at 10:11AM     
jn3344
From a consumer perspective the best wood windows are better than vinyl windows. But my experience has been that high quality vinyl windows are better than no-name less expensive wood windows. My current aluminum clad pine windows are falling apart after 17 years.
January 30, 2014 at 10:13AM     
PRO
lewis + smith
A properly maintained high quality wood window can last 100 years. Wood windows have equal U-values to vinyl windows. Wood windows are offered with dozens of different profiles to satisfy a particular design aesthetic. You have a handsome house, a wood window will enhance it rather than detract from it. They will be considerably more money though.
January 30, 2014 at 10:17AM   
feeny
I would not use vinyl windows on an older house like yours. Although we've kept our original wood windows from 1929, we bought new wood windows with an aluminum clad exterior (top quality ones from Marvin) for the addition we built. We've been very happy with both their performance and the way they complement the existing style of our brick colonial.
January 30, 2014 at 10:24AM     
decoenthusiaste
A beautiful home but marred by the white downspouts. Move those to the ends. Out with the clumpy shrubs and do an update on the landscaping. The casual back door style storm door doesn't work with the surround, so that needs replacing with a more classic colonial look. Invest in wood windows to replicate the style you already have going there. It will be a beauty with these simple, easy updates and improvements.
January 30, 2014 at 10:26AM     
feeny
Moving the downspouts might put too much pressure on the gutter system, but painting them a darker color, like the ones in decoenthusiaste's photo, will help make them disappear. Most of the brick colonials in our area do not match the downspouts to the white trim, but rather to the brick.
January 30, 2014 at 10:48AM     
PRO
Progressive Solutions / Renaissance Bronze Windows
Wauwinet Sunsets,
You may be interested in our line of Renaissance Solid Bronze Windows and Doors.
Our solid bronze windows offer affordable luxury with narrow sight lines, high strength, and low maintenance. All of our windows come fully glazed with triple seal glass & mounting flange options for installation.
You are welcome to contact jerry@solidbronzewindows.com or call our office 210.832.8040 with your project details and we will gladly assist you.

You are welcome to view our ideabooks or product video & website-
Ideabook: Black Kitchen Windows www.solidbronzewindows.com
Project: The von Behr Estate in Sisterdale, TX
Project: Renaissance Solid Bronze Windows & Doors www.solidbronzewindows.com
Ideabook: Black, Bronze & Steel Door Ideas www.solidbronzewindows.com
http://blog.werefindinganswers.com/gallery/renaissance-bronze-windows-doors-2
http://solidbronzewindows.com
June 16, 2014 at 1:46PM   
Nancy Travisinteriors
Vinyls for sure. No up keep.
June 16, 2014 at 2:54PM   
Nancy Travisinteriors
Beautiful home.
June 16, 2014 at 2:54PM   
Wauwinet Sunsets
Thank you to all who commented and for the kind words. We haven't made our decision just yet but are grateful for this feedback as we decide.
June 16, 2014 at 6:09PM     
coby0042
Hi there. We have a similar house and are currently replacing windows. We went with wood on the interior of the windows. More expensive but really a better look I think. Kind of a compromise having exterior durability and a more pleasing aesthetic indoors. Good luck. :) I love you house!! ;)
June 17, 2014 at 6:13AM   
coby0042
Your house, rather. Haha.
June 17, 2014 at 6:14AM   
coby0042
Just read Feeny's comment. Those are the windows we went with as well.
June 17, 2014 at 6:15AM