EXTERIOR CURB APPEAL... need help/advice... (on a budget)
keriabsoluteinteriors
Hello,
Thank you for looking at my photo. I am a first time home owner... and I'm looking to revamp the front of my house/garden/landscaping... but sadly I'm on a tight budget!
I am planning on replacing the railing, taking down the awning, and replacing the front door. I am looking for advice on railing style/colour, door color/style... as well as I would like to paint the concrete porch... and as well reface the flagstone on the front... I'm looking for any ideas/ or advice on colors etc etc. Anything you want to tell me, I'd be very happy to hear! Thank you for any help!!!!! :)
keriabsoluteinteriors
help? anyone? lol
January 30, 2014 at 5:57pm   
MarleneM
I think some greys would look nice for your house. Are you looking for a modern look or traditional or cottage? I found a couple photos on Houzz, but can only paste one at a time.

This one shows a modern railing, and the darker colour would be nice on the front door. Not really similar to your house, but wanted to show railing and colours.
It looks like the sidewalk could use some work. Are they sidewalk blocks? If block, they could be lifted and more the base levelled. The planter that is between the sidewalk and stairs looks in the way. Do you have to walk around it?
January 30, 2014 at 6:20pm      Thanked by keriabsoluteinteriors
MarleneM
This one is quite dramatic I think. Love the dark trim against the brick.

January 30, 2014 at 6:22pm   
hayleydaniels
I know awnings aren't the most beautiful things, but you might want to keep it up through the summer as it probably helps keep your home cooler. You can get retractable ones if need be, but don't get rid of it until you're sure it's just an eyesore, and not something that makes your home more liveable.
January 30, 2014 at 6:26pm      Thanked by keriabsoluteinteriors
keriabsoluteinteriors
Hi MarleneM
Thanks for that!!! I appreciate any help! Yes, The walkway needs to be ripped up as well... like I said... needs alot of help! hehe! and yes... right now, there is a random flower bed in between the parking spot, and the steps to the front house, and you have to walk around it. I love the colours in the second photo you posted!
January 30, 2014 at 6:30pm   
MarleneM
You're welcome! Glad you like it. That is my favourite too. Paint colour can make such a difference.
January 30, 2014 at 6:43pm   
keriabsoluteinteriors
here's another angle
January 30, 2014 at 6:46pm   
keriabsoluteinteriors
This is a door that I've found at a salvage shop that I'd like to use... but repaint it of course!
January 30, 2014 at 6:47pm     
MarleneM
That is a great door! Yes, I would remove that part of the flower bed. Maybe add some plants closer to the street.
January 30, 2014 at 7:40pm   
inthedetails
There are a couple of minor changes that I think would make a big difference. I agree with pulling down the awning. It is inexpensive and pretty easy to add some molding around your windows to make them appear more dramatic. Also I would remove the pavers that run along the driveway and just fill back in with dirt and grass seed. They do not appear to add any function and are giving the impression of a repair in need. I actually like your house red but would like to see white and gray accents in the trim and accessories. When you are covering up the stone, make sure to take your new product down over the foundation as well. I like the door you have chosen and would replace the screen door with a solid glass/screen door. I like the idea of painting the front porch. Cleaning up the plants will help a lot. If you can afford it, I would investigate the possibility of making the porch larger so it is can be better utilized. I think this house is adorable.
January 30, 2014 at 7:42pm        Thanked by keriabsoluteinteriors
keriabsoluteinteriors
Thank you "inthedetails"!!! ... (and MarleneM) again :) ... I like the idea of the grey tones... maybe painting the porch a darker grey... etc. Black door..? ... I'm going to have a new railing installed.. something with a little more chunkyness...than the one I have now. Would you pick a white railing? or a black railing?
January 30, 2014 at 7:56pm   
Rempfer Construction, Inc.
We agree that grey tones would look great with the brick. A dark grey porch would do the trick. If you are going to go the black door root you could do a white (or just matching the trimming) railing would add a good contrast to the dark porch and black door. The chunky railing would look great.

Also the pavers are a bit awkward so we agree with inthedetails that they should go. We're not sure if it's because it's winter but a few pretty flower plants in your flower bed would be great too.

Also you could just paint over the stone veneer, if you don't plan on taking it off right away. It would give your house some texture too. Have you thought about shutters? There are tutorials for building your own.
January 31, 2014 at 5:36am     
I think you should select the refacing material first, keeping in mind the roof color. Then you can select paint that works with the "new" flagstone.
January 31, 2014 at 6:37am      Thanked by keriabsoluteinteriors
elkgroup
Try painting anything first if you are on a tight budget. Paint the door. Paint the steps. Paint the railing. Paint the awning but don't remove it until you are able to replace it with a substantial small porch. Don't be overly worried about the colors. That is the beautiful thing about paint. It can be redone easily. And it will make so much of a difference. Good luck .
January 31, 2014 at 6:47am      Thanked by keriabsoluteinteriors
Jolene
I think I would do all the suggestions which are amazing but wait on the stone. See what happens after and maybe save some money (unless you really don't like it). It is hard to see from the curb and colorful plants etc would even lesson the effect. I like the idea of grays and the contrast of the railing in the trim color. Also wondering if the trim above awning is different than the rest of the house. If so when the awning comes down just fixing that will be a big help.
Congrats on your home.
January 31, 2014 at 6:48am      Thanked by keriabsoluteinteriors
keriabsoluteinteriors
Thank you everyone for the great advice!!!! Very much appreciated! I think based on everyone's comments... here's my theoretical plan.

1. Remove Awning
2. Replace door with one that I found at the salvage shop... painted black
3. Paint trim around door/windows white.
3. Either replace or remove screen door.
4. Paint the front stoop/steps something in the grey tones
5. Paint the flagstone... a few different colors of grey.. (to make it look more natural)
6. Remove the stones along side of the driveway
7. Re-landscape garden... new plants.
8. Replace railing with more substantial sized railing... painted white. (to add contrast)

My last question... is does anyone have any specific grey colors that they think would look good with the brick? and does anyone have any advice on what plants/plant colours would look good with it? re. the landscaping. I live in Ontario, Canada (just outside of Toronto)

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!!
January 31, 2014 at 7:09am     
Rempfer Construction, Inc.
We've done a little bit of research of grey paint with brick. Benjamin Moore's Sparrow is nice. Also a granite is a nice deep grey. When you're painting to stone look at some grey natural stone samples and pull from that. Please update us on the turn out.
January 31, 2014 at 11:28am      Thanked by keriabsoluteinteriors
victorianbungalowranch
That is a Craftman style door and you have an simple Minimal Traditional house with ranch style windows and watertable. The salvage door is really nice but not quite period, but It is clean lined enough it could work, The current door is pretty good for this house actually Perhaps you could try painting the door you have first and see how you like it.

If you are talking about painting the watertable formstone, it is really hard to get natural looking colors. I don't think it is so bad the way it is actually, and you can try very thin washes of thinned down color, which takes patience and lots of rags to pounce and wipe away immediately to look good, and I would stick with the putty tones.

I do like charcoal grey with brick, but I would be careful to pick something that goes with the tones of the house, so maybe a warm grey would be better. Of course charcoal grey would go with the roof. So what do you want to paint grey beside the stone? I see only black and white mentioned. If you are staining the stone, I would just buy white, black and reddish bown, maybe some butter yellow, and mix up my own washes.

Painted concrete tends to flake and can be a mess with time, can be slippery on steps as well. If the concrete is in good shape I would just leave it. Concrete is everywhere and aged concrete like this is a neutral and goes with everything.

I don't mind the edging on the driveway, but resetting it and cleaning up that awkward jog with some new pavers or flagstone, and cutting out some of the asphalt could be nice.

I'm not a huge fan of aluminum awnings, but it is period and you have so little clearance it will be hard or expensive to provide cover for the front door, and it sure is nice to have in bad weather. Do you enter by a different door? Just painting it can help. You have a lot of roof there, so a bigger porch might be nice down the road.
January 31, 2014 at 12:12pm        Thanked by keriabsoluteinteriors
MarleneM
kiera, I agree also about keeping the sidewalk. To me it seems uninviting to expect visitors to walk up the driveway. You said that you know it needs work and I'm sure you will take care of it. Sorry, I'm not really great on knowing all the paint colours.
As far as plants, a lot will depend on what kind of gardening you want too. Some plants need more maintenance, some flower once or continually or not at all. I would list some of the characteristics you want, measure the flower bed, and take some good pictures of the current flower beds, and ask for help from a nursery in your area.
January 31, 2014 at 5:36pm      Thanked by keriabsoluteinteriors
keriabsoluteinteriors
I've included a picture of some of the suggested paint colors... from left to right; benjamin moore.------ sparrow, thunder, granite, and silhouette
February 2, 2014 at 9:16am     
elkgroup
I would remove all the current plantings in front of the porch and steps. I think a simple row of miniature boxwoods would look much more classy and would hide some of the concrete and the gas meter. A few of the shorter colorful perennials could be put back in front of the boxwoods as this looks like a wide border. Of course, you don't need plants in front of your car.
February 6, 2014 at 10:58am   
MarleneM
Keri, nobody has commented since you posted your paint choices, so hopefully you will get some more interest after this. IMO the sparrow matches the brick grout colour, and if it's used I believe it would highlight the grout, and that wouldn't be my choice. Also, I am not sure what colour you want to paint where, or are you looking for suggestions on that too?
February 6, 2014 at 11:10am   
keriabsoluteinteriors
Does anyone have any suggestions regarding the paint colors posted? Thank you!
March 18, 2014 at 6:33pm   
Need help with curb appeal on limited budget
About a year and a half ago I moved into the home I...
Need help with curb appeal on a budget.
We own a mid 70's home with the dreaded rock. I call...
Help! Need some curb appeal & color advice
Hi, I need some help regarding the outside colors...
Help! Need some curb appeal advice!
We are considering a renovation in a few years, so...
need help with painting open floor plane rooms
I have an open floor plan home that gets a lot of light....
Help me finish this room
We love our new living room / dining room. We have...
Living room ideas!
Hi all! Here's our living room. I would love ideas...
Paint colour for basement room opening onto garden?
I'm painting a basement room in my townhouse which...
Bedrom Update
Here is the original thread.. http://www.houzz.com/discussions/535749/Bedroom-Help. I...