HELP! Need suggestions on back splash for new counters - see pics!
angelvillanueva
Hi everyone! We are putting in a new kitchen in our home, images attached. The counter material is a granite called Copenhagen. The cabinets are cherry. All the appliances will be stainless steel (note that stove top has not been cut from the granite yet). The floor will be a polished marble called Diana Royale. We are having a hard time coming up with a design and material to use as back splash. We will tile up to the bottom of the wall cabinets. I'm not a fan of tumbled stone and that's what I see used with most with complex granite here. We have tried samples of different materials but have not come up with anything quite ideal. Copenhagen is very crystalline (in fact I think it might be a quartzite, not a granite) and has lots of light play. Any suggestions will be IMMENSELY appreciated! Thank you!
Mandie Click
Such a beautiful color stone you have there! Is there anyway you can get some more of the granite to continue as the back splash it will be clean, effective and cohesive. Simple white subway tiles placed in a herringbone pattern may also suffice and play up the granite's interest.

-- Stainless steel mosaic tile would also look nice and would have great continuity with the appliances!
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by angelvillanueva    January 30, 2014 at 5:43PM
Carol Spong Interior Design
There are some beautiful glass tiles available that you can find to pick up the colors in your countertop. They can be thin strips of different colors,or squares or a variety of shapes. I don't know what part of the country you are in but if you have access to Oceanside tile and other similar tiles you'll find some beauties. Good luck and have fun!!!
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by angelvillanueva    January 30, 2014 at 5:51PM
inthedetails
Let me first say, you have chosen my favorite granite. I have it myself and just love it. Attached are my favorite suggestions.

1. Glass tiles
2. Back painted glass tiles
3. Stacked stone
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by angelvillanueva    January 30, 2014 at 5:58PM
inthedetails
Here is the stacked stone.
2 Likes    Bookmark   January 30, 2014 at 6:00PM
angelvillanueva
These are all beautiful solutions! Including glass and/or stainless steel in the pattern sounds great, that might work! Also the stacked stone looks intriguing, I like the way it lights up (there will be underside cabinet lights), I hadn't even thought of that. I was trying small marble tiles and some stone in brick pattern, but they all looked too busy. I'll go out and get new samples this weekend. Thank you all, so much, I'll report back! :)
1 Like    Bookmark   January 30, 2014 at 9:21PM
Katy Richard
Keep it light & simple, you don't want to clash with your beautiful granite. A glass tile mosaic in one color would be a perfect accent.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by angelvillanueva    January 30, 2014 at 10:10PM
indianpatti
I would go with a back painted glass in a white/off-white that perfectly matches your stone.

You can pick a Sherwin Wms. paint color .. no grout lines .. nothing to compete with your beautiful granite and a beautiful reflective light.
2 Likes    Bookmark   January 31, 2014 at 4:24AM
dclostboy
Is anyone else concerned that the cooktop cutout will occur after installation? Feels like a break / crack risk to me.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by angelvillanueva    January 31, 2014 at 5:47AM
Patricia Colwell
That would for sure concern me, why was that ?
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by angelvillanueva    January 31, 2014 at 5:49AM
saratogaswizzlestick
This was done in my kitchen too. I have a very large island and they did not want the granite to crack while transporting. They finished off the cooktop cut without issue on site.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by angelvillanueva    January 31, 2014 at 5:56AM
anne dee
2 suggestions as referenced in the pics
    Bookmark   January 31, 2014 at 6:23AM
dclostboy
Something new for me...four kitchens and have never experienced post installation cuts.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by angelvillanueva    January 31, 2014 at 6:34AM
czmi
I would use a light colored stacked stone and do the entire wall up to the ceilings on your window wall
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by angelvillanueva    January 31, 2014 at 8:57AM
angelvillanueva
I'm actually quite confident the stove installation cut will go smoothly, I've watched my granite guy at work and he's an absolute artisan! :)
    Bookmark   January 31, 2014 at 9:45AM
angelvillanueva
Here is the finished product, at last! After much play and experimentation with samples, we chose 2 x 2 in. polished marble tiles for the backsplash, Diana Royale accented with Emperador Dark and stainless steel lines to match the appliances, and took up the suggestion of tiling all the way to the ceiling. Thank you all! :-)
7 Likes    Bookmark   May 1, 2014 at 1:06PM
Innovate Building Solutions
Another option to consider are high gloss acrylic wall panels. They create the look of backpainted glass - without the cost and are easier to install. I will include a couple of images and a link if you'd like to check this material out further:
http://innovatebuildingsolutions.com/products/bathrooms/high-gloss-acrylic-wall-panels
    Bookmark   May 3, 2014 at 1:03PM
Urbanata/Steve
Your cabinetry is traditional and the counter top has a distinct pattern. I would opt for limestone or a limestone look tile.
    Bookmark   May 3, 2014 at 1:22PM
natjb
cabinet colour
    Bookmark   May 3, 2014 at 4:03PM
anne dee
The poster featured his finished kitchen!!
Read his post :-)
    Bookmark   May 3, 2014 at 8:29PM
beachlily
Your choices are beautiful! Very warm and classic....nice to see a non white kitchen for a refreshing change! Well done!
    Bookmark   May 3, 2014 at 8:37PM
BackSplash suggestions, please :)
so we have our beautiful floors in and Friday they...
judyborlin
Need help in deciding the counter top and back splash in kitchen
I have a small kitchen and I want to put black galaxy...
siddiquir
Kitchen Remodel: Need Granite and Back splash Help
Our house was all but destroyed a few weeks ago back...
britraebasham
Need help with a back splash to go with countertops and new light
I just replaced the formica with the new granite and...
pattyschatty
Need help with wrong color of back splash tile installed
New back splash tile installed and now I must live...
jackiemat
Help style my master bedroom
Need decorating ideas - bedding to suit my wallpaper....
Nikki Trent
What ONE thing do you LOVE that your spouse / partner does at home?
Your spouse / partner is the best, of course! What...
Need ideas!
This is my "formal" living room. I would love some...
jodiezerega
If Only I could blow this master bath up and start over. Help!
Wow, do I need help. Our house is going on the market...
sandnsyntax
How high should I tile the walls?
Hi, I am currently debating wether I should redo the...
ericnyk