Help! Should I paint or stain the wood?
vhorton12
Sorry i forgot to add a pic! Thoughts? 1898 home with quarter sawn oak.
Katie Armour for Ethan Allen King of Prussia
Are you modern or traditional? I personally love the eclectic mix of both! The stain is timeless. The woodwork is beautiful. If you are more modern in style it will give you a more eclectic look to stay with a stain. If you want to go more contemporary try a high gloss black. Good luck! You have a beautiful home!
January 30, 2014 at 8:21pm        Thanked by vhorton12
vhorton12
I'd say transitional. I can go modern or more traditional. Where can I mix in stain and paint? I like the black idea.
January 30, 2014 at 8:27pm   
alleykat6093
Please please don't paint your woodwork. It's so pretty. Refinish it with stain.
January 30, 2014 at 8:34pm        Thanked by vhorton12
Barbara Griffith Designs
I would certainly not paint that woodwork, but I would consider staining it a darker shade.
January 30, 2014 at 8:37pm        Thanked by vhorton12
inthedetails
I would not paint that woodwork! It is gorgeous and so original.
January 30, 2014 at 8:40pm        Thanked by vhorton12
brio interior design
The wood work is lovely, I would consider staining it, if you must change it. You could mix the space up a bit by adding a painted door in a deep rich color that you love, if the placement makes visual sense overall.
January 30, 2014 at 9:20pm        Thanked by vhorton12
Burton Ryan Designs
Do a multi-coat stain with a Bree wax finish.. Do samples on 5 to 10 pieces of oak have fun with it seal in between coats
January 31, 2014 at 12:16am      Thanked by vhorton12
dclostboy
Freshen up the wood. And paint the walls a different color...they're what's making your wood look washed out.
January 31, 2014 at 6:04am        Thanked by vhorton12
jn3344
Don't paint or stain it black that will make it nearly impossible to recover. Quarter sawn oak is coveted by many people. I agree your wall color should be changed.
January 31, 2014 at 6:08am        Thanked by vhorton12
Marie McInnes Incorporated
I agree. The wall color isn't doing anything to enhance the space. It looks like you've got some great objects in there. There would be less of an overall wood feeling if you add some rugs. Look at Flor for ideas, flexible and fun. Your space can have a sort of rustic glam feel with the woodwork as is. Just wax it and give it some luster.
January 31, 2014 at 6:13am      Thanked by vhorton12
Value Wood Floors Limited
The woodwork is so beautiful! We suggest staining. You can choose any paint colour under the sun to freshen the space up. The ceiling height looks to be pretty high, so your possibilities are almost endless.
January 31, 2014 at 6:52am        Thanked by vhorton12
dclostboy
I like BM Elmira White with my woodwork
January 31, 2014 at 7:01am     
Al Fortunato Furnituremaker
Whatever you do, do not paint the woodwork. Forget the trends. You have a house that has character that costs big $$$$ to replicate now. Restore your woodwork and cherish it., you have a treasure.
January 31, 2014 at 7:09am        Thanked by vhorton12
hotmholt
There is deep history tin that home that many of us agree should be honored and left unchanged.
January 31, 2014 at 7:16am        Thanked by vhorton12
shakerjaebs
Your wood is beautiful. Personally, I would not paint it. My house is filled with unpainted oak from 1925. I used Sherwin Williams Windsor Greige. It's a matter a finding a shade that works with your wood, your lighting, etc. good luck! Look forward to seeing what you end up doing.
January 31, 2014 at 7:32am        Thanked by vhorton12
indianpatti
I would not paint it .. it's gorgeous!
January 31, 2014 at 7:36am        Thanked by vhorton12
ProSource Memphis
A home of that age and grace should have the effort expended to preserve it's charm rather than jump on any trend bandwagon. :-) It's Katharine Hepburn, not Miley Cyrus. The answers would be different if the home were a basic 1940's bungalow, or a 90's tract home.
January 31, 2014 at 7:38am        Thanked by vhorton12
flopsycat1
Gorgeous woodwork! Leave it alone. I agree that a new paint color on the walls would make a huge difference. Try samples that appeal to you. Also looks as though the paint lines where the walls meet the wood are less than precise. Cleaning them up would be a good idea.
January 31, 2014 at 7:49am        Thanked by vhorton12
Emerson Brothers, LLC. Home Remodeling
I usually am a fan with painting the the woodwork white but I agree with most of the feedback that your wood work is beautiful and would consider just re-staining it. Good luck!
January 31, 2014 at 7:54am        Thanked by vhorton12
I'd simply clean, condition and protect the wood. Just ignore dclostboy - in love with Elmira! lol!!
January 31, 2014 at 8:12am      Thanked by vhorton12
dclostboy
@deco...need to read :) suggested painting the walls to better show off the beauty of the wood. Think you'd realize I have a greater depth of understanding and experience in these matters.
January 31, 2014 at 10:23am   
vhorton12
I love these comments! I am now convinced NOT to paint! But now what color should the walls be? They currently are very light blue. Any recommendation on stain color too? I like the darker stains.
January 31, 2014 at 12:22pm     
Barbara Griffith Designs
For stain colors I would look at Minwax Gel stain colors Walnut or Hickory. See chart. http://www.minwax.com/wood-products/stains-color-guide/?gclid=CL7zsYysqbwCFQPl7AodJkcA2g

Choose your paint color LAST. Do you have all your rugs, fabrics, draperies? You need them first. There are thousands of paint colors & shades, but only a few rugs, etc. that you will like.
January 31, 2014 at 1:27pm   
Should I buy painted or real wood stained furniture?
I am buying wood furniture for my living room that...
Stained Wood Trim - Should I paint?
I have painted wood trim throughout the house. The...
WHAT COLOR SHOULD I STAIN OR PAINT THE TRIM? Please help!
See the attached picture. I recently stained my vanity...
80's ranch needs update
What color would you suggest for the clap board ?The...
Ugly fireplace dilemma
Plan on tearing out the nonfunctional fireplace, but...
Help me finish this room
We love our new living room / dining room. We have...
Need help choosing granite for cream colored glazed cabinets
We are doing a remodel after a water loss and need...
Looking for hardwood floors
We have an old renovated farmhouse and we want to take...