Please help me pick a exterior color for my log cabin!
VictorJanuary 31, 2014
I've had it for a year and I still have to figure out how to strip it down (lots of previous owner neglect). I'm pretty sure I have to take it down to bare wood. I did the cedar deck with Sikkens. I think the only option is sandblasting but I do really need color and trim ideas. Thanks!
Have you looked into "cob blasting?"
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by Victor    January 31, 2014 at 5:40AM
joots07
I'll start the chorus of never paint wood by suggesting you leave the main part as is. Paint the trim a bright color -- rich yellow or orange, or electric blue, for example.
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Victor    January 31, 2014 at 5:45AM
Victor
decoenthusiaste yes I have actually. Problem is I found ONE guy that does it and he's 2 hours away. He gave me an estimate of around $4000... That is A LOT considering I still have to stain it afterwards!
    Bookmark   January 31, 2014 at 5:47AM
Victor
I'm not planning on painting, just re staining
1 Like    Bookmark   January 31, 2014 at 5:48AM
It will be beautiful though. This one is simply sealed, not stained.
1 Like    Bookmark   January 31, 2014 at 5:55AM
Late to the party . . you may have moved on, but red / red-orange window frames / sashes are gorgeous with this kind of home. SW fireweed is a good option color for that - where you now have brown. If is is prefinished brown aluminum then you may not want to paint . . then, you would select a mossy green tone for all the adjacent elements that do need paint. Like sw oakmoss . . . staining the main logs a warm chestnut kind of color will be best . .
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by Victor    February 21, 2014 at 1:05PM
rocketroy
Lightly pressure wash....STAIN the logs.....contrast lightly the mortar with stain,and forget paint! Rocketroy
    Bookmark   September 17, 2014 at 3:27AM
inkwitch
Facing $4000 for the job, buying or renting a pressure washer sounds like a better idea. Log cabins have their own issues, including wood-loving bugs of all sorts. Some sort of bug killer will have to be applied before you stain (I have a friend w/log cabin so I've heard all about it). Try to avoid a finish with a shiny finish; it looks blah. Also, why stain? All wood has its own great colors. Seal.

Then paint the trim an interesting color that gives it snap. If I can post some photos, you'll get the idea.
    Bookmark   September 17, 2014 at 4:03AM
inkwitch
    Bookmark   September 17, 2014 at 4:04AM
inkwitch
    Bookmark   September 17, 2014 at 4:06AM
inkwitch
    Bookmark   September 17, 2014 at 4:10AM
Victor
Thanks all. I can't power wash because it doesn't work (tried a section). Also there is a poly or shellacked coat on it as it flakes off when I rub my hand over the most weathered spots. It really is cob blasting or nothing.
    Bookmark   September 17, 2014 at 4:11AM
inkwitch
If you search houzz.com, you'll find lots of ideas for color schemes. I've found the staff at Home Depot and Lowe's to be of huge help in my renovation a I am a 70 yr old woman renovating a mid-century ranch. There's always somebody who knows how.
    Bookmark   September 17, 2014 at 4:11AM
inkwitch
That sucks. I've seen that poly finish on log cabins. Do not understand why people insist on using it. When I refinished my floors, I used tung oil.
    Bookmark   September 17, 2014 at 4:15AM
inkwitch
Googled "cob blasting" and saw that there is rental equipment out there. I saw $600/week rental. Is that possible in your area?
    Bookmark   September 17, 2014 at 4:18AM
Victor
no, i've looked. Just sand blasting equipment which I think would be too harsh, especially for a novice. Something about the moisture content when doing the cob blasting and the equipment makes it more expensive and harder to find. I've done the research. Either way there are some companies that Cob blast just that they are 1.5 hours easy from my house. I guess it is what it is as far as log cabins. I'll keep looking. It would be a spring project now anyway. Need a roof first! lol
    Bookmark   September 17, 2014 at 5:36AM
Circle Goods Reclaimed
I lived in a log cabin my family built in Missouri for years and the one thing that is true about them, they are not cheap to maintain the exteriors. It's kind of like when a big item on your car breaks, just kind of suck it up and get through it! Haha
    Bookmark   September 17, 2014 at 10:09AM
Meghann
Addition to cedar log cabin
We are planning to add a large addition to our cedar...
susano02
log cabin colors
I need help with picking out colors to decorate my...
mekirsh
Need help with log cabin kitchen/dining room
My husband and I recently purchased a lakeside log...
kabiej
My new cabin
The pictures are of the model before construction....
Interiors International, Inc.
Post and beam
What decorating style is best to use in a timber frame/post...
dfg431
How can I decorate a wall above an off-center sofa?
Hello, I’m trying to decorate the wall above the...
hamfighter
Help with dining room?
New construction this is a phot of our dining room,...
bailey510
Kitchen??
Should we re stain the cabinets and get new doors,...
Aletha Walsh
Need help cheering up a dark kitchen
I got such good ideas on my tiny bathroom, now I present...
domesticimpostor