Kitchen cabinets
yazm
January 31, 2014 in Design Dilemma
Does anyone have experience with Home Depot wood kitchen cabinets? HD says that Innermost and KraftMaid are their top lines. Thoughts or advice? Also, any comparisons to Ikea cabinets are welcome also. Thanks in advance.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
charleee
Top lines, or top sellers? There's a big difference there.
January 31, 2014 at 8:19AM     
yazm
Just to clarify, they said top quality, as opposed to top sellers. This is based on everything being wood (cabinet boxes are plywood as opposed to particle board) and the ability to make modifications to measurements.
January 31, 2014 at 8:27AM     
PRO
ProSource Memphis
Those line may be Depot's best sellers, but they are mid range quality at best when it comes to industry quality. Ikea is a budget line that requires a great deal of personal involvement by you to assemble and install them. If you have to have a contractor do that labor, forget it being a budget choice. For a total DIY choice, it's decent quality, but very very limited in sizes and styles. You have to compensate for that by being extra creative in using their limited parts and pieces in creative ways.

Almost any semi custom line has the ability to have all plywood, and to have size customizations. But, neither of those things is any real indication of quality. You can have a very high quality kitchen with furniture board boxes. It's more stable and better suited to frameless applications for one. It gets a bad rap due to prejudice, not the reality of the specs.
January 31, 2014 at 8:34AM        Thanked by yazm
yazm
Any recommendations for other companies? (Straight custom made cabinets are beyond my budget).
January 31, 2014 at 8:38AM   
PRO
ProSource Memphis
What price level are you looking for? And what type of look are you trying for? What size is your kitchen? Your original post is not comparing apples to apples pricewise. There are cabinets for almost every budget out there, but the answers will be different if your budget is 10K vs 50K for cabinets.
January 31, 2014 at 8:45AM     
Marilyn Wilkie
I'm so tired of seeing comments that Ikea cabinets are only for people who have a small budget. They can stand on their own against most cabinets in the industry and have a better warranty. They do have a variety of styles. Their hardware is German made and can't be beat. You can add on that quality of hardware with another company but it will cost you. Assembly is very easy. I assembled all of the cabinets in our most recent kitchen. Plywood is not always preferable to particleboard either. It can delaminate swell when exposed to water. Many designers use them. The Europeans are far ahead of us in design in many ways. If you want the run of the mill traditional brown cabinets go ahead with a big box store. But you won't get a 25 year warranty. By the way, a friend chose cabinets with a face frame and she can barely get her larger items in the upper cabinets.
January 31, 2014 at 8:53AM        Thanked by yazm
PRO
Al Fortunato Furnituremaker
Agree that Blum hardware is high quality, I use it exclusively. But using it on Ikea cabinets is like putting lipstick on a pig. Flat pack RTA (ready to assemble) is not quality. RTA fasteners are in no way stronger than traditional joinery. Particle board will swell and fall apart when wet. I've seen it a million times under sinks and replaced many kitchen and bathroom cabinets made of it. Just about all plywood is made using water proof glue and will stand up to water better than any particle board (China made plywood excluded). All factory made cabinets are based on 3" dimensions. Getting a factory to make an odd size box is next to impossible. They adjust their dimensions that don't fall into the 3" increments with filler strips.

So, if you are looking for quality cabinets, stay away from big box stores and Ikea. Go to a kitchen cabinet dealer and ask for their top of the line or have them made by a professional.
January 31, 2014 at 9:52AM        Thanked by yazm
PRO
New England Kitchens
It depends on what you want for options as well. The more options a company offers the more you will pay for their product. Do an online search for allwood semi custom cabinets in your area. You will get quality in an affordable price range.
January 31, 2014 at 10:05AM      Thanked by yazm
PRO
ProSource Memphis
"Budget" is not a derogatory term. Not sure why you would infer it so. It's a term of economic scale. There is a cabinet line for everyone, including Ikea. Ikea is a great value for a DIYer who lives close to their stores. If you live further away, or aren't at all handy, they become much less of a value. Labor is always one of the larger expenses in a remodel, and they require more dollars in labor to assemble and hang than do cabinets that are already assembled. There becomes a point when that tradeoff isn't a value for a less than handy homeowner.

For quality, they are decent quality, for the most part, but a lot depends on who assembles them. There is less variability on that front from a factory built cabinet. I'm not a fan of the large number of thermofoil doors that they offer, but many people buy after market doors to dress up the boxes just fine. Like any cabinet line, there are good and bad points for each. There are always tradeoffs.
January 31, 2014 at 10:35AM     
Marilyn Wilkie
"Particle board will swell and fall apart when wet." Here is a picture of the bottom of my sink cabinet after four years of use. No special care required, I have put wet things down there. Excuse the mess. Care to show yours? Not everyone can or wants to hire a furniture maker to build their kitchen cabinets. There are many other things to spend the kitchen money on.
Assembly..easy. This is for the new cabinets coming in 2015. http://www.ikea.com/eg/en/assembly_instructions/metod-base-cabinet-for-built-in-oven-sink__AA-706660-2_pub.pdf
January 31, 2014 at 12:15PM     
PRO
Al Fortunato Furnituremaker
Most cabinet factories (Ikea included, but possibly slightly different) and some individual cabinetmakers, use a sheet good product called Melamine to build their boxes. Mostly it's white, but can be obtained in colors and wood grain. It can be on one or both of the sides of the particleboard. It is a plastic material either stuck or thermally fused (higher quality) to the particle board. It is very tough, water and stain resistant, and easy to clean. But...., if the water gets under the surface, (usually at the edges or where a hole has been cut) the particle board will swell, giving the look of bubbling under the surface treatment. If the water continues to get underneath the particle board will begin to flake apart. Particle board is not water proof or even water resistant.
January 31, 2014 at 1:24PM      Thanked by yazm
PRO
Linda
I have torn out many kitchen cabinet sets, either for demolitions or remodeling. Quite often we would not bother to salvage the sink base because the particle board would be so damaged that as soon as we would try to move the cabinet, the bottom would fall out. If I were doing a kitchen for my own home, I would upgrade to plywood boxes anywhere around the sink and dishwasher.

I don't think IKEA is particularly cheap, if you figure that labor has value even if you aren't paying for it directly. I haven't been impressed with their prices, not once you get all the bells and whistles added. I do like their hardware and use pulls and knobs from IKEA in my own vintage kitchen
January 31, 2014 at 5:23PM   
ginale
Go to a store that specializes in cabinetry and also sells Kraftmaid. They will be a little more expensive than those in the big box stores, but there are so many more options AND they stand by every cabinet, and inspect them all carefully. It was well worth the extra money.
January 31, 2014 at 7:05PM      Thanked by yazm