Should my new fireplace have a hearth or not?
sandpat
We are converting our carport into a den and will be adding a non vented gas fireplace. I've asked the contractor to make the fireplace 6' wide and to go to the ceiling. It will have bookcases build on either side. I told him that I would like a hearth and mantle. He told me that most people these days do NOT do a hearth because it takes up too much floor space. That doesn't make sense to me... what do you all think...to hearth or not to hearth...that is the question...
If you like a hearth, then you should have a hearth.
0 Likes   Thanked by sandpat    January 31, 2014 at 7:04PM
sandpat
Yes, but wondering what the thought process is for those not wanting a hearth...why not? There might be a good reason, or their reasons might not matter to me. I like to explore all the options since I have a chance to do that before we build something.
0 Likes   January 31, 2014 at 7:24PM
inthedetails
I prefer a hearth. We have a see through fireplace that is on an angle and near a doorway. We chose not to have a hearth as we felt it would take up too much floor space on both sides. If you have the room and like the look, go for. I'm sure it will look great!
0 Likes   Thanked by sandpat    January 31, 2014 at 7:28PM
Blue Star Tile & Stone
Most definitely a hearth it completes the whole essence of what you are trying to achieve there.I am a tile & mosaic contractor and 99 percent of fireplaces I do have hearths, good luck.
1 Like   Thanked by sandpat    January 31, 2014 at 7:33PM
I suggest you look through fireplace photos on houzz and save the ones you love to an ideabook. Then whichever turns out to be your favorite can inform your final decisions. Here are some with and without hearths: Works Photography Inc.
Carolina Room
Parkwoods Home
Stanwood Residence
0 Likes   Thanked by sandpat    January 31, 2014 at 8:10PM
sandpat
Thank you all. I think that in my rural area that maybe lots of people that he is building for are trying to save $ and skipping the heart. For us, a country farm house needs a hearth. I was just wondering if there were good reasons not to...I can see no hearth in a more contemporary or modern setting as it provides for a more sleek, clean look...I think we'll go for cozy. Thanks!
0 Likes   February 1, 2014 at 5:50AM
Sharon Charboneau, RESA Pro, Interior Stylist
There is no reason not to have a hearth, except personal preference.

Did U ask him to show you pictures of fireplaces he has installed with no hearth?

Bottom line, it is your home, go for the style which makes you happy.
0 Likes   Thanked by sandpat    February 1, 2014 at 6:13AM
sandpat
I think thats it Sharon...personal preference and, of course, the cost. I doubt he has pics. There are only 2 builders in my area that are good/trustworthy, etc and they don't have to hunt for clients or build portfolios. They both have long waiting lists. This guy is one of them and he doesn't mind building me one, he wants us to love our remodeled home. He just made the comment, so I wanted to check with some other "experts" to see if I just hadn't been keeping up with the times, so to speak.
0 Likes   February 1, 2014 at 6:20AM
HI -- You could have a hearth if it is not going to be in the walking pattern of the room. If it is not going to stick out passed the side bookcases . You could also just have the floor space tiled instead . This is all your choice . But it seems that a lot of people are going with no hearths and no mantels. If you are wanting a mantel , that depends on the style of your room too. Find lots of ideas on Houzz for the look you want and go with it . Never mind what the current trends are , they come and go ,-do what you need.
0 Likes   Thanked by sandpat    February 1, 2014 at 6:33AM
sandpat
Very good point and something that I hadn't thought about calmsea. Thank you
1 Like   February 4, 2014 at 10:39AM
Best off-white/cream color for kitchen?
Our dining area is open to the kitchen but has no window....
Need help modernizing the exterior of this brick ranch.
Not sure what to do since the roof is an odd color....
Regrets when building a new house?
We are about to build a 2300 square foot 2 floor plus...
Need help for my kitchen
I have hard wood floors in my kitchen that I want to...
Tray ceiling ratio
What's the best ratio for a tray ceiling? Our soffit...