Desperately need layout help for small space: living room/dining room

ellienyFebruary 1, 2014
Need some ideas on how to layout the dining area and living room. It is an open kitchen layout with a 'study'. Space is extremely limited, but not sure how to best maximize the space and lay everything out. I ideally wanted to keep my dining table (seats 4-6), but may have to ditch that to bring in a seated island instead. My biggest struggle is where to position the sofa/tv/coffee table. All ideas and suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Lampert Dias Architects, Inc.
I would create a seating area at the bottom of the room with a 5 foot love seat against the wall and two small upholstered chairs facing the love seat with a small coffee table in between. This will allow approximately 30" on each side for traffic flow.

The space that is left next to the kitchen and below the two windows should be perfect for your existing dining room table and chairs. You should have approximately 9' to 10 feet left for your dining area......
2 Likes    Bookmark   February 1, 2014 at 11:33PM
OnePlan
Love that suggestion ! Wanted to add to it ?! Could you access the study by putting a door opposite the bedroom door - so you then get a wall to put a tv on in the lounge end - and the study could be marketed as a second bedroom possiblily too ?!?!
1 Like    Bookmark   February 2, 2014 at 3:36AM
OnePlan
Adding a scribble !
3 Likes    Bookmark   February 2, 2014 at 7:00AM
ellieny
Wow!! These are amazing ideas! I was so limited in my thinking, but these are great and eye opening. Thanks so much! I really like the wall idea.
1 Like    Bookmark   February 2, 2014 at 7:11AM
chickypop
The only problem with the layout is that it isn't actually going to be comfortable to watch tv. I'd recommend working with smaller scale furniture and putting the sofa or a compact sectional directly across from the tv if possible. Do you have an Ikea nearby? If so, look at some of their small spaces on the showroom floor for ideas.

Also, for the study turned second bedroom, that bed will be impossible to make up against a wall with tight furniture around it. Most jurisdictions won't market a room without a closet as a second bedroom, but if this is personal use it probably doesn't matter.
    Bookmark   February 2, 2014 at 7:11AM
OnePlan
I have a pair of sofas opposite each other and a fireplace one end and the TV the opposite end - so pretty much the same aspect between seating and TV as sketched - when the TV isn't on the set up is great for conversation - and on TV nights it's a great excuse to put your feet up and snuggle on the sofa to watch TV ! and if there's more than two of you watching TV - have the pair of chairs as swivel chairs !
    Bookmark   February 2, 2014 at 12:18PM
acroteria
ellieny, what is your opinon of Japanese furniture? I don't mean Western furniture inspired by Japanese design. I'm just putting it out there. It's not for most people but it will certainly make your space seem spacious.
    Bookmark   February 3, 2014 at 9:51AM
Drafting & Soil Monitoring Services LLC
Hi Karen, ....elli, you are limited. But sounds like some of these suggestion have beat me to the punt. No need to say another word. Great work guys!!!!!!
1 Like    Bookmark   March 11, 2014 at 11:55PM
suzanne_m
I have the same setting as OnePlan in my house ... I have 2 chairs that swivel, recline and rock. The swivel action on the chairs allows us to either watch tv or look at fireplace or facing the sofa for conversation.
    Bookmark   October 9, 2014 at 10:26PM
ARTCHAUCER art gallery
Have you walked the space or imagined walking through the space to identify the way human traffic flows from room to room? You can print a floor plan and draw the paths. I'd leave the biggest intersections open and include visual work (art or mirrors) on the wall spaces you see as you walk through the space as well as view from sitting, and from other rooms.
    Bookmark   November 18, 2014 at 1:31PM
Anne

It looks like you'll use the study as a 2nd bedroom, is that right? Do you need to? Would you consider turning that space into a dining room?

Bookmark   March 6, 2015 at 3:20PM
Need help with this space (formal dining and small living room)
Need suggestions/advice/ideas and some overall inspiration...
backtothedrawingboard
Combined living/dining room in a small space apartment - help needed!
After having lived in super-tiny 1-room student apartments...
jaochoo
Living/Dining layout conundrum! Help! Put your space planner hats on!
We finally moved in to our recently renovated house...
magdarauscher
Desperately need your help to decorate this living dining room in my n
I need to buy a sofa, coffee table, dining table with...
natochanadiri
Please help! I am desperate thus I don't like my living room space.
We purchased this house a little bit more than a year...
chichipacas
Need help for my living room
Love colours and patterns, deep reds, oranges, blues...
Julie Brodie
Tell us: What are your best space-saving tips?
Do you have the ultimate way to load the fridge, handle...
What should I put here?
I need to furnish and decorate my 13x19 living room...
mspanama
remodeling bathroom
1) trying to determine where to buy fixtures. Plumbing...
bdelucia56
Dining area and reading nook
Dear all, Would it be possible to add a console next...
Graziella Brincat