walkout basement floors are freezing

Patti SeeFebruary 1, 2014
We want to warm up our walkout basement bedroom, which is on a concrete slab. Right now it's covered with laminate. We are not carpet lovers. What can we do to insulate the floors? Is it possible to put down sheets of insulation and plywood over the top?
APK Designs LLC
How about heating the floors? I've never used a product like this before, but do you think it's worth looking into?

http://cozywinters.com/shop/rug-heat.html?utm_source=base&utm_medium=cse&utm_campaign=merchantadv&zmam=61752597&zmas=1&zmac=2&zmap=rug-heat&gclid=CMyR_vmorLwCFTHNOgod938AMQ

You can also install floor radiant heat but you would need to consult a contractor regarding implementation.
    Bookmark   Thanked by Patti See    February 1, 2014 at 5:45PM
Ironwood Builders
In the same vein and more pricey is a tile job over the concrete with a radiant electric heat mat installed below the tile. Warm and toasty. I've installed them in many bathrooms, on a porch and under the concrete of a driveway (years ago in much colder climes).
    Bookmark   Thanked by Patti See    February 1, 2014 at 10:21PM
Patti See
Thanks for the suggestions!
    Bookmark   February 2, 2014 at 7:50AM
sunnydrew
You could research an area rug heater pad that you put under the rug. http://www.rugbuddystore.com/
I am not recommending that brand per se, but the concept. We talk about buying one every winter but still have not. Our slab floor is always cold.
    Bookmark   February 2, 2014 at 7:54AM
riettas
Hi Patti, we remodeled our basement a few years ago and something my husband found and used has been absolutely key to making it feel like a floor rather than a basement - it's these DriCore panels that you put down on the entire floor. They're hard rubber (or plastic??) on the 'down' side and plywood/strandboard on the 'up' side. Here's a link to them on Home Depot (but you can probably find them elsewhere) http://www.homedepot.com/p/DRIcore-7-8-in-x-2-ft-x-2-ft-Aspen-Subfloor-Panel-CDGNUS750024024/202268752 .

It has a couple of benefits - one if there's any moisture, it provides a barrier and even lets it run to the low point (which is hopefully where you have a drain or otherwise want it) because there's open channels underneath, and the second and really awesome thing is it makes it feel like you're walking on a floor. We have two different kinds of flooring over it, both work great. The majority of the basement is wall-to-wall carpeted - and we sprung for a really good rug pad to make it cushier (if that's a word) - and this very cool dense foam flooring alternative to vinyl that you roll out and don't have to glue, just caulk the edges (can't remember the name of it, but if you're interested I'll see if I can dig it up). In both cases you feel like you're walking on flooring like your upstairs floors (not specially warmed, but not that cold concrete feel).

One note, because these are 2'x2' tiles, you cannot install something hard and without give on them like ceramic or stone tile, nor hardwood planks (can't nail to them). But that wasn't a problem for us.

Oh, we also installed some cool Econoheat electric radiant heat panels on the walls in our TV room down there to make it a little toastier...very nice :-).

Hope this helps!
    Bookmark   Thanked by Patti See    February 23, 2014 at 11:27AM
how to tile in front of walkout basement
we are finishing my basement and have a large 3 door...
sara169
walk-out basement room, HELP!
Our 60s bungalow thankfully has a walk-out basement...
Jake
flooring family room in basement
We are updating the family room in the lower level...
suemu
Basement floor
We're finishing our walkout basement ! We don't know...
Sheila Carroll-Morris
UGLY SIDING! HELP!
Just purchased a house and on our limited budget we'd...
Jasmine Patterson
Please help with my kitchen, I'm in over my head...
I have so many things going on here. First we sharted...
rterbeek
This Sofa with this Living Room?
Sorry for asking once again, it feels like I have been...
Bee Cat
I need to find a mirror to put over the console table
My console is 48 inches wide, I have 9 foot ceilings...
ntrama
The best bath vanity lighting?
What kind of bath lighting is the best? Sconces with...
Unique Interiors Ltd.