Dining room finishing touches
haley82
What dining room finishing touches would you suggest or have me change?
howellmsue
Are your curtains navy blue? I am also having a hard time telling what color the walls are, sometimes they look green, sometimes beige. When I look at your room my first thought is that it looks great- nice job! But I do feel like it is lacking some interesting art on the walls, something with color. I think those are your wedding pictures and they look very nice, but the dining room doesn't seem like the right place for them. That's my opinion. If you tell me what colors are in your room I could make suggestions on art for the walls.
3 Likes   February 1, 2014 at 6:30PM
haley82
The walls are beige. (Bungalow Beige is the name of the pain)

The curtains are black.
0 Likes   February 1, 2014 at 6:32PM
haley82
The pictures are wedding pictures of my grandmother and great grandmothers and one is mine. One is from 1955 and 2 are from the 30s.
7 Likes   February 1, 2014 at 6:34PM
haley82
Sorry the color is bad. It's dark here so the lights skew the colors.
0 Likes   February 1, 2014 at 6:35PM
Brandi Nash Hicks
Look's great ,love the pictures,how about a monogram on the back of a chair,or small pillow in a chair?
2 Likes   February 1, 2014 at 6:37PM
Ann
I think a rug would be nice.
3 Likes   February 1, 2014 at 6:41PM
haley82
Her are pics of what's in the display case.
0 Likes   February 1, 2014 at 6:41PM
haley82
Circle rug or rectangle? What color patter would you suggest?
2 Likes   February 1, 2014 at 6:46PM
sunnydrew
A round rug under a round table looks great. be sure to pull the chairs out as if people are seated and measure the diameter of that. You want the back legs of the chairs to still be on the rug, so they don't get caught. be sure that the rug will fit in the room all sides. I can't see the true shape of room.
Do you have any other large items for the display cabinet that you can use with color. Aside from your dishes and stemware?
2 Likes   February 1, 2014 at 6:55PM
sunnydrew
Your curtains are really good looking, but can you possible shorten them so they are not "puddling" on the floor. I really think they will look better just above the floor but not touching.
2 Likes   February 1, 2014 at 6:57PM
Ann
Nice circle rugs can be hard to find, but that would be nice. A square would work too. Size is most important - make sure each chair has at least 2 feet of rug from table edge to rug edge. So, the rug needs to be at least 4' larger in both directions than the diameter of the table. What rug styles/patterns appeal to you and what price range is appropriate? The display case is very well done!
3 Likes   February 1, 2014 at 6:58PM
haley82
I don't have any other items to display, but I can go buy some. What color would you suggest?

I also don't know what rug pattern would go with my curtains.
0 Likes   February 1, 2014 at 6:58PM
haley82
I'm open to style suggestions for the rug. I don't like ultra modern. More transitional style. Price range is open as well.
0 Likes   February 1, 2014 at 7:00PM
Ann
I'm not sure I'd add color to the display case and it looks like your drapery fabric "puddles" rather nicely. You could go with an oriental rug or a solid (maybe tone on tone textural). Geometrics might compete with the drapes.
2 Likes   February 1, 2014 at 7:03PM
karen paul interiors
This is a great room and you've done a wonderful job. One thing I see is the wall with 2 pics of art and the adjacent wall with 2 more. I believe you might feel better with all 4 together on the wall adjacent to the window. Your wall/opening opposite the window wall doesn't seem to be in the photos. Might be nice to understand all options for the entire room.
3 Likes   February 1, 2014 at 7:03PM
karen paul interiors
Your chairs are reading pink in some lights and yellow in others?
1 Like   February 1, 2014 at 7:04PM
Ann
Just browsing Houzz pics for some rug pattern ideas that might work with your drapes. I was just considering pattern, not necessarily color.
2 Likes   February 1, 2014 at 7:17PM
Nancy Walton
I think that all four photos on the angled wall with a small sideboard under would help to fill in that corner. The way the photos are now, it just serves to accentuate that empty angled wall. Then you could put a palm plant next to it on the window side, just to soften it up a little. I think the puddled draperies look fine, especially if they are just stationary panels that don't close.
8 Likes   February 1, 2014 at 7:19PM
JJ-Amanda Palmer
Rug and centerpiece for table
2 Likes   February 1, 2014 at 7:25PM
Nancy Walton
Here are some rugs that would nice:
1 Like   February 1, 2014 at 7:29PM
Ann
I really like Nancy's first rug choice!
0 Likes   February 1, 2014 at 7:41PM
chezron
If it were me, I would reupholster at least the backs of the chairs in a dark color. A dark rug would be great. And definitely don't puddle the geometric print of the curtains. It is hard to tell because the lighting really messes up the colors that are there.
2 Likes   February 1, 2014 at 7:48PM
caitlinln
A rug would make the room look cozier, but to me, it's necessary. For some quick changes, add to the table. If setting it isn't your style, maybe just a centerpiece. I also believe an appropriately decorated bar cart could add to the space.
2 Likes   February 1, 2014 at 8:10PM
haley82
I think a side board.or cart is a great idea! I want a rug, but can't seem to figure out how to coordinate it with my drapes.
0 Likes   February 1, 2014 at 8:13PM
Nancy Walton
Any pattern will work, as long as you carry the same colors from your walls and drapes.
1 Like   February 1, 2014 at 8:16PM
dlengers
I think a small buffet table on the angled wall that has no photos and a mirror with a nice frame over it. Add a lamp to the table or floor lamp and a centerpiece on the dining table.
3 Likes   February 1, 2014 at 8:19PM
dlengers
Also a rug under the table.
1 Like   February 1, 2014 at 8:19PM
caitlinln
I meant to say a rug is "not necessary" :) but certainly wouldn't hurt. What I love about bar carts is how diverse they can be. Wine, sparkling water, cotton branch, lamp? Anything goes!
3 Likes   February 1, 2014 at 8:21PM
caitlinln
Last comment :) I think if you do a rug, it should be rectangle and light colored. I love your drapes and fear the wrong rug would compete. If it's too dark, it will weigh down your classic look. Good luck!
3 Likes   February 1, 2014 at 8:47PM
haley82
Thank you Caitlin! I love the ideas!!!
0 Likes   February 1, 2014 at 8:55PM
Nancy Walton
I made a comment, but I don't see it here. Since your floor is light, I would not go light with the rug. You need some color and contrast to "ground" the space.
1 Like   February 1, 2014 at 9:59PM
Snaggy
I would have wall or side lights ...the centre one on its own is a bit harsh
1 Like   February 1, 2014 at 10:14PM
caitlinln
I'm backkk :) here are some pictures to show how a rug that doesn't contrast with the floor can still bring warmth and dimension. I don't think you should match a rug exactly to your floor, just don't want a dark rug to drag your focus down.
3 Likes   February 2, 2014 at 8:18AM
haley82
Here are pics in morning natural light.
4 Likes   February 2, 2014 at 8:34AM
haley82
Love your ideas Caitlin!!!!! Thank you so much.
0 Likes   February 2, 2014 at 8:35AM
haley82
More daylight pics
1 Like   February 2, 2014 at 9:10AM
fos5
With a round dining table usual rule of thumb is a round or a square rug. One large enough when chairs are in use all legs are on the rug. A light tone on tone patterned rug the color of the walls or chair upholstery will compliment the room and will not be invasive. The patten in the drapes is very strong and taking command. A large painting with some black in it will temper the draperies. Agree family pictures need to be grouped if staying. Nice chandelier.
5 Likes   February 2, 2014 at 9:19AM
candigirl123c
I really like the black and white drapes. The white pops in a rather dim space and the bold pattern is a great contrast to all the neutral colors and dark woods in the room. I would get another rod and matching set of drapes to hang just in front of the alcove where your display case is so the drapes "frame" the display case. You could try putting some up lighting behind the drapes on the floor to highlight that alcove and display. Whatever color you decide to use as an accent I believe should be bright. Find a fabulous rug or wall hanging that matches the scale of the room and pull your accent color from that. You could put a little of that accent color all around the room to tie everything together.
2 Likes   February 2, 2014 at 10:01AM
candigirl123c
]
1 Like   February 2, 2014 at 11:22AM
candigirl123c
Here's an example of using curtains to highlight a focal point like your display case.
1 Like   February 2, 2014 at 11:24AM
haley82
Would a square rug in any of these patterns look good?? Opinions please.
1 Like   February 2, 2014 at 3:10PM
candigirl123c
Of the three choices above rug number two (with the pattern and hint of blue) is my favorite because it has a hint of color and interest. Have you considered gray/silver for a rug? Although the picture below is a bedroom the curtains are similar to yours and the rug although neutral looks very sophisticated. [houzz=
]
1 Like   February 3, 2014 at 9:16AM
candigirl123c
The sisal rug above is a Square hand woven Charcoal Grey Serenity Rug from Overstock.com. I think this sisal rug looks classier in grey.
0 Likes   February 3, 2014 at 9:22AM
caitlinln
Also, in the display case, you could add a painted insert in the back to cover the mirrors and give it a pop of color. You'd want to give the illusion that the background is painted, but that way, you can remove it later. Could be something as subtle as pale blue. Or whatever makes you happy.
1 Like   February 3, 2014 at 9:58AM
caitlinln
Example
0 Likes   February 3, 2014 at 10:11AM
Ann
I like the second rug you chose, but the other two seem too casual for what is going on in your room. I think a plain rug is fine, if you prefer, but maybe a dressier tone on tone wool rug.
1 Like   February 3, 2014 at 10:47AM
fos5
Sisal rug is very casual and hard. Think your beautiful dining room deserves a more formal rug, that adds softness and a bit of sheen. Did you look at orientals in subdued color and patterns???
4 Likes   February 3, 2014 at 11:09AM
Everything looks good. No rug over rug ever. Your windows do not look done. Should have a more formal look. Panels work but add a roman shade to windows put same panels on French door in pic. All rooms that look into each other should have same window treatment. Take dark color from panels and use on a solid roman shade. Not crazy about family pictures in a dining rm. should be in a bedroom. I would remove them and add more formal gold frames and much bigger on that one wall.
4 Likes   February 4, 2014 at 12:17PM
A large gold leaf bowl fill with balls from aPier one in color from panels on window. To tie together.
2 Likes   February 4, 2014 at 12:18PM
Sorry thought floors were carpet hard to tell on my phone. Yes go a rug. Round big enough that chairs are on it when pushed back. Go wool black. As in panels. No print.
0 Likes   February 4, 2014 at 12:23PM
fos5
A black carpet is very hard to keep clean, shows every little piece of lint etc.
1 Like   February 4, 2014 at 2:18PM
biddingwarwarrior
A different chandelier would be much more harmonious with the clean, elegant lines of your room. There are many by Hammerton that I like, and here's one that would look great. You can customize finish, mesh and glass colors and scale. I'd also add a nice blue or green pop of color to the table with flowers, and more touches of it around the room, maybe in a subtle carpet pattern, too to create some rhythm and bring the colors of your lovely view into the room.
1 Like   February 4, 2014 at 2:28PM
fos5
Haley 82, like the chandelier you have, is formal and must be beautiful at night when lit and when your dining table is set. Shape compliments your drapes. Pretty
1 Like   February 4, 2014 at 3:45PM
haley82
I'm having a hard time finding a rug in the right color pattern. I don't want to add panels to the other French door because it's in the hallway and there are 2 more sets of French doors in the hall about 5 ft down. That pattern down my hall would be too much. I was already being brave with that print because I'm a safe neutral freak. I wanted to do 3 white roman shades on the windows.
0 Likes   February 4, 2014 at 7:43PM
haley82
Also, the wall in between my great grandmothers wedding pics is a huge curve. It's not a flat angle.
0 Likes   February 4, 2014 at 7:46PM
Brandi Nash Hicks
Why the heck would she change the chandelier ,her's is beautiful
1 Like   February 4, 2014 at 7:49PM
haley82
That's why I flanked the curved wall with my 4 pics.
0 Likes   February 4, 2014 at 7:49PM
karen paul interiors

your sisal is the perfect solution IF the underlying color is the same as the underlying tone of your chairs and flooring. The black trim is perfect. You will want a square rather than a round, as the round tends to be redundant. What size is your table?
2 Likes   February 4, 2014 at 7:56PM
haley82
It's a 60 inch table.
0 Likes   February 4, 2014 at 8:19PM
karen paul interiors
Next you need to measure your room to understand if you are better off with an 8' rug which is the MINIMUM or if you can move toward 9' rug (the optimum).
1 Like   February 4, 2014 at 9:05PM
fos5
A couple of options. You can go to a good carpet store and choose from the rug samples something you like and have them cut and bind it the size you require. The curved wall is a nice touch. You could have an artists paint a wall mural on that wall, with a receding scene (to keep your room feeling large) or look for a wall paper mural you can install yourself. You have a very pretty room, doesn't need much.
1 Like   February 5, 2014 at 4:25AM
Jackie Askey
I think you need some flowers on the table and maybe a big floor vase with some pampas or other long stemmed flowers or lights on long stems on on the wall between the 2 lots of pictures or an up light behind a tall plant like a palm. I would also have had a light that shone down on the table rather than up - it would make it cosier. Re the display cabinet it's beautifil but needs more colour that will stand out against the white - particularly the large white plates. You don't need a lot of colour but it needs to be quite strong. The other way you could display is to group the glasses together with some strong coloured ornaments in front of them.
2 Likes   February 5, 2014 at 6:16AM
amanpino
Yes, fresh flowers on the table or a bowl with real fruits, something which is not totally dead like silk flowers or artificial fruits.
IMHO a new fabric in another color for the chairs would look friendlier and match the pretty curtains better than the rather oldfashioned pink.

2 Likes   February 5, 2014 at 8:30AM
haley82
The fabric is tan/beige. Not pink. I took the pictures at night and it skewed the colors.
0 Likes   February 5, 2014 at 9:55AM
susan609
I was going to suggest moving the lovely wedding pix and putting a large colorful painting on the angled wall. But if it's curved that could create a problem. A richly patterned, jewel colored oriental with the smallest touch of black and beige would bring a gorgeous dash of color while preserving the traditional elegance of your room. You can bring the color up with a centerpiece (even just candles and a runner) on the table, and a small chest or buffet table on the curved wall with a lamp, colorful bowl and/or a flower arrangement. Then, you might want to take one or two of the colors into the display cabinet with a plate, vase, etc., to balance the room.
2 Likes   February 5, 2014 at 11:30AM
susan609
Might be a bit of a challenge to find an oriental rug in the preferred shapes, round or square, but it can be done.
0 Likes   February 5, 2014 at 11:39AM
usergray
If you are trying to keep what you have...
-darker steel gray rectangle floor tiles to ground table to floor.
-add a buffet server in alcove, if your cabinet fits on angle wall....or just add dark metal to angle wall.
-table centerpiece bringing in some darker colours.
-dependant upon budget, maybe redo chair material.
0 Likes   February 5, 2014 at 12:17PM
broomcornsally
Beautiful room - just need a little color - can you still get the curtains, if so add one to each side of the middle window & if not & price not a factor, have custom made plantation shutters, add round oriental style rug (may need to take a curtain with you to see what works best) & add black (or coordinating color) stemware to hutch. I noticed back of hutch is mirror or glass, what I did to kitchen cabinets that had glass doors is I used printed sheets designed for scrap books & taped to back wall for color, inexpensive & not permanent. I had a friend who is an interior decorator & she couldn't believe how great an idea & how good it looked. Also, put the 4 wedding pictures together. Scrunch a decorative runner on table & add 3 different size & color bean pots. Good luck.
1 Like   February 5, 2014 at 12:21PM
haley82
The wall curves out not in. So I can't really put anything in front of it. It will be too close to the table.
1 Like   February 5, 2014 at 12:30PM
karen paul interiors
haley, then you would be able to use the sisal you posted, since your fabric is a tan/beige without a pink undertone. I always like the texture of a sisal and that look can be much less expensive than attempting to find a square rug in the size and colors you need. Do you still like that idea or would you want to go with a rug that is not a sisal?
1 Like   February 5, 2014 at 4:32PM
haley82
I like the look of the sisal because it brings texture. I saw some pics of formal dining rooms mixed with that and it looked nice.
3 Likes   February 5, 2014 at 6:14PM
cindyguent
Add a beautiful bowl with green hydrangeas to table. Black bordered sisal maybe? Love it!
0 Likes   February 5, 2014 at 6:31PM
cindyguent
Not exactly, but you get the idea

3 Likes   February 5, 2014 at 6:38PM
cindyguent
Table deco

1 Like   February 5, 2014 at 7:35PM
adanj120
Agree with moving the 4 pictures together as a grouping and adding a colorful centerpiece!
0 Likes   February 5, 2014 at 7:59PM
karen paul interiors
haley, you are correct...formal rooms do well with sisal, and of course, whatever surrounds the rug creates a complete statement.
2 Likes   February 5, 2014 at 8:12PM
deiman
Sorry haley cant be of any help but thats a beautyful drape where can i Get them
1 Like   February 16, 2014 at 12:42PM
haley82
I got them on Overstock.com
0 Likes   February 16, 2014 at 8:37PM
Marianna Robidoux
Hello haley82,
A circle rug in the same pattern or complementary with the curtains, creamy silk roman shades on the windows and larger frame on the pictures. Add same flowers ( cut flowers in a vase) and the room it will bee fibulos. Good job.
1 Like   February 18, 2014 at 3:25PM
kpw510
haley82, I love the dining room. I tried looking for this info so you wouldn't have to repeat it in case you had already answered this question, but this is a long thread! I love your display case for your crystal/plates. Where did you find it?
1 Like   February 18, 2014 at 3:31PM
haley82
I got the hutch Macy's a fees years ago, but I know they still have it.
0 Likes   February 18, 2014 at 6:48PM
Galilee Lighting
i think that updating the chandelier will be a big upgrade to the dining room.
In Galilee lighting we make contemporary lighting designs in different size and length according to the space size and ceiling height.
to receive our catalog by email contact Sales@GalileeLighting.com or visit http://galileelighting.com/
We deliver worldwide.
0 Likes   February 18, 2014 at 7:17PM
haley82
I just updated the light last month. My house is a Tuscan style (outside) home with more transitional style inside. I may take my shades off but the light matches this enormous chandelier in our foyer entry right off the dining room.
0 Likes   February 18, 2014 at 7:22PM
cindyguent
I love your room, Haley. Did you make a decision on a rug?
0 Likes   February 19, 2014 at 4:03PM
ssteck1809
Last comment was in February, this is June. My only suggestion and I don't think anyone mentioned it is MOLDING. I don't know if anyone has already mentioned it. A lot of newer houses eliminate it in order to cut expenses. It would add a richness to the room around the doors AND the windows. For me, I would have started there.
0 Likes   June 12, 2014 at 1:30PM
Help us put the finishing touches on our kitchen/dining room.
Lots of great advice on these website so hoping to...
jaeandc
Dining room finishing touches
I am adding a new fixture and curtains to my dining...
kccari
Help with finishing touches in industrial chic dining room
I has such a wonderful experience with my first post...
Yeli
I had such a wonderful experience with my first post...
Yeli
rredpenn
Please help me create a romantic bedroom!
I saw this quilt in the PB store, fell in love with...
Debbie
Does anyone know the manufacturer of these pendants?
I am so in love with these pendants but can't find...
roktta
need help with landscaping next to a blacktop driveway. which is next
The driveway is blacktop and it doesn't but up to the...
flyingal70
Dining room
What kind of chandelier should be used for a dining...
tazzman2