Whole house remodel...vaulting
cxg2
Hi everyone, we have begun a whole house remodel on a 3 BD 2 BA ranch on the Georgia coast. Now that the walls are down (going for full open plan)...what do you think about vaulting? I was planning on vaulting the kitchen and the attached sun room only...too expensive to do the family, living and dining areas too. The fireplace on the family room wall will be completely surrounded by glass too though....see what you think...Thanks!
Barbara Griffith Designs
If I could only vault one area, I would choose the main living area..it is a large space and looks "squatty" with a low ceiling. It will look even more so if adjacent areas are caulted. If vaulting is too costly, maybe at least large deep trays.
February 2, 2014 at 10:14am   
cxg2
Thank you! my husband and i just groaned....:)....that's what I'm worried about but we're talking 6-7 thousand more dollars!! The back wall will be glass though...will that help?
February 2, 2014 at 10:16am   
Robert Puleo Design
Ceiling heights should be proportional to the space. When the spaces were subdivided into smaller rooms the original ceiling height was appropriate, but now that the spaces are much larger, I would recommend going as high as you can, wherever you can to avoid the impression of a low ceiling
February 2, 2014 at 10:17am        Thanked by cxg2
Barbara Griffith Designs
I think it would be worth the investment. It will make a huge difference.
February 2, 2014 at 11:46am        Thanked by cxg2
cxg2
Thanks...this is tough because we're already 23K over our budget and the only thing i could save significantly on was the vaulting...nothing else in the remodel is really optional...and i do love vaulting. The family room, where the fireplace is, is too expensive to vault--it has all the heating and air above which would have to be moved etc. But there's nothing above the living and dining rooms so that might not be bad...so, if we vaulted all but that room with fireplace (which will be completely surrounded by glass, with a stainless flue)...how would that look do you think?
February 2, 2014 at 11:56am   
cxg2
ok guys, i just called the contractor and told him to do it!! He said "I didn't want to say anything but it will look so much better". Unfortunately we can't do that family room, there's too much behind the ceiling that would need to be relocated, but we're going to vault 3/4 of the house--living, dining, kitchen and sunroom behind kitchen (that kitchen door and window wall is all coming down too, and the sun room is being glassed in and vaulted. I'll send you "after photos" if I can figure out how to get back to this post. I'm not very good at Houzz yet.

Thank you both again.
February 2, 2014 at 12:41pm     
Barbara Griffith Designs
I think you made the best decision..vault as much as reasonably possible. Would be great to see the "afters".
February 2, 2014 at 1:15pm   
How much would it cost to remodel our whole house like tear it down
We are thinking about tearing down the whole house....
I am remodeling a whole house we just got it needs everything
The whole house needs to be redone and some walls needs...
whole house remodel
New dark cabinets in kitchen. Rest of house has light/medium...
How do I make my new house look like a finished, cosy home?
We built a new house and have been in there for about...
Master bath pls help
Brown tiles, brown wall color everything brown. Looks...
Let's stain my
I need advice or suggestions for the best color option...