Need comparisons for concrete vs. granite vs. soapstone vs. Quartz
barbie14
Need to see pros and cons of those 4 choices for kitchen counter tops.
Southern Wild Garden Design
I can only speak for quartz. I did lots of research in deciding on countertops for the last house I built. My choice was the Silestone quartz for these reasons:
1. It is not porous
2. It does not require maintenance
3. It looks good and is very durable
4. It is environmentally sound

Simply put, I wanted beauty without the maintenance. I put the Silestone in kitchen and baths in my last house. I recently moved and put it in the kitchen. I have written a blog post about my entire kitchen remodel at www.southernwilddesign.com

Best of luck!
2 Likes   February 2, 2014 at 12:53PM
barbie14
Thanks so much. Will read your blog.
0 Likes   February 2, 2014 at 1:04PM
Twisted Minds Custom Designs
barbie14, attached is a link to a FAQ's page I created to give a introductory look at concrete as a countertop material. As this is a man-made material, different artisans will have differing levels of skill, and mix designs/sealing properties can differ vastly, so it is always best to check with a local artisan(s) to find out what their products pros/cons may be. There is no perfect material, but each has properties that will be attractive to different people therefore your personal needs will dictate which material is best for you. I hope this helps, and if you have any additional questions about concrete, feel free to ask. I would be glad to answer.
http://www.houzz.com/discussions/346684/Concrete-Countertops-FAQ-s-by-Twisted-Minds
1 Like   Thanked by barbie14    February 4, 2014 at 10:53AM
Marilyn Wilkie
If I were to spend money on a countertop, it would be quartz, for the reasons that Southern Wild Gardens stated above. I dislike most of the granite I see...too chunky looking.
0 Likes   February 4, 2014 at 11:11AM
barbie14
Haven't looked at many samples yet, but granite seems quite shiny and heavy looking for my little kitchen
0 Likes   February 4, 2014 at 3:05PM
Design Hintz Interior Design
Granite can be finished in other ways besides polished. You can do what is called a honed finish which is matte instead of shiny. You can also have it brushed or leathered which takes away from the shine and gives it a bit of texture.

Check out this link, it explains polished, honed and leathered.
0 Likes   Thanked by barbie14    February 4, 2014 at 3:47PM
Ann
I think I'd choose either granite, soapstone or quartz for a kitchen. Concrete might be good for a bathroom. Consider a leathered finish if you choose granite. Even if you fall in love with a polished slab, it can be leathered. So, between the 3 choices, just see what you fall in love with. What color are the cabinets and floor? - that might help narrow it down.
0 Likes   February 4, 2014 at 4:10PM
barbie14
White cabinets, wood floor.
0 Likes   February 4, 2014 at 5:26PM
Ann
Well, that definitely keeps soapstone in the running. It's beautiful with white cabinets. If you like dark granites, Virginia Mist or Antique Brown granite are very pretty with white cabinets.
0 Likes   February 4, 2014 at 6:13PM
barbie14
Would love some more info. On soapstone
0 Likes   February 4, 2014 at 6:25PM
okdokegal
Soapstone can be very lovely, it does need maintenance. I have seen some of the most gorgeous farm apron sinks plus counters of soapstone. It is a softer countertop, and can scratch, but that usually can be dealt with. It will be a very dark counter.
http://www.soapstones.com/soapstone_care.html this place has some info, faq, and does some diy and prefab sales....

Myself, I'm going for poured concrete with inset/imbedded large slab granite tiles. I am a ways away from getting materials and trying some test mix/pours .. I won't be able to get anyone to come in and do it for me, the logistics of distance is very real here.

On any counter surface, there will pros and cons; and a certain amount of care and maintenance. Myself personally, don't want the maintenance and sealing of granite or soapstone; if I pour concrete I will have some of those issues anyways. I have found varying comments on the granite sealing, some say six months, some say five years... I think it is the type of granite, the porousity of the stone, the way it is finished, the use, and the type of sealer and how applied.
0 Likes   February 4, 2014 at 6:56PM
barbie14
Great website. Love it's look with white cabinets and wood type flooring . Sounds like constant oiling isn't necessary after the first 3 times if one doesn't want such a dark look.
0 Likes   February 4, 2014 at 7:50PM
Patricia Colwell
I love honed slate. If your space is small I think quartz in a light color is always nice. If you have a very modern kitchen the concrete works too.
0 Likes   February 4, 2014 at 8:51PM
HI -- Quartz is number 1 -- Concrete is number 2 --- Soapstone and or Marble is number 3 and people are getting tired of granite # 4 -- it is falling out of favor . This seems to be the trend in my area.
0 Likes   February 4, 2014 at 8:55PM
barbie14
Thanks for wonderful info. I love the idea honed black marble. Will keep researching and looking at many examples.,thanks for taking time to educate me.
0 Likes   February 5, 2014 at 5:37AM
jlheiland
I was originally going with soapstone for my new kitchen but wound up choosing honed Pietra Cardoza, it's beautiful
0 Likes   February 5, 2014 at 7:55AM
barbie14
great information. I read your blog. Loved your new kitchen. I am a landscape designer so enjoyed all of your blogs.
0 Likes   July 7, 2014 at 5:09AM
bardonsmith09
With so many different kinds of countertop material to choose from – laminate, hardwood, granite, quartz, marble, and other natural stones – it can be difficult to choose.but You got help from here http://www.forevermarble.com/
0 Likes   September 17, 2014 at 11:23PM
All Granite and Marble Corp.
Granite is the best natural stone for a kitchen. Engineered Quartz is also great if you like the look: This video has some granite and quartz facts. Other natural stones are harder to deal with than granite. Engineered Quartz is the easiest to deal with.
0 Likes   1 hour ago
Need advice on quartz vs. granite
Considering using quartz for counters in my remodeled...
Quartz, Granite, Marble, Soapstone etc. for High-End Countertops. Why?
There are so many choices in high-end countertops: Real...
Kitchen granite vs quartz vs is there a better soluiton
we are putting in a new floor , counter top and backsplash...
Soapstone countertops VS honed granite in a cottagy kitchen
I have 200 year old reclaimed wide pine floors, painted...
outdated green marble tile in bathroom
The tile in my master bath is dated green marble. Does...
Update exterior bi level home
Looking for ideas to update our home and possibly change...
Decor ideas needed split level entrance foyer
Previous post has me doubting my plans so I thought...
living room
Going to put hardwood floors down. I really like...