Are wood floors in a kitchen a practical choice?
glinda80164
I'm seeing mainly wood floors in most of the kitchen designs I am viewing, but thought wood wasn't a good idea in areas where plumbing issues are likely to arise. I prefer the look over tile, but tile seems like a choice I'm less likely to regret. I appreciate any advice you have to offer.
Lampert Dias Architects, Inc.
I personally have had solid oak floors in my kitchen since 1994 and I love them.
We specify wood floors in many of our kitchen projects, especially if the house is very open and we want the flooring in the entire house to be consistent.
February 3, 2014 at 12:06am      Thanked by glinda80164
dclostboy
Glinda, it feels like you're expecting bad things to happen...that's like saying "I'm never going to drive because I might get in an accident". I've had wood floors in all my kitchens over the past 20 years and love them.
February 3, 2014 at 4:42am      Thanked by glinda80164
jessegee
I had cheap laminate, which blew every time I dropped any water, but good quality wood or kitchen standard laminate with a good sealer on it should be fine these days. I am planning to have parquet in the kitchen, but will diamond hard gloss it and it should be fine. Some expensive vynil and tile is very good , but its personal choice, if you can be bothered to protect it well, it'll last for years, bit like a wood counter top really.
February 3, 2014 at 4:47am      Thanked by glinda80164
farmgirl101
In the process of replacing hardwood throughout the house and I am putting it in the kitchen too. Floor guy says as long as you don't leave spills on the floor it will be fine. Of course, if you have a major leak that might be a different story. Time will tell.... But it looks GREAT!
February 3, 2014 at 5:08am      Thanked by glinda80164
Patricia Colwell
If you have a major leak it won't matter what floor you have it can't take it. The woos underneath gets wet and all the flooring has to be replaced. I love the look of the same flooring throughout a space, go for it.
February 3, 2014 at 5:17am      Thanked by glinda80164
PirateFoxy
We have laminate in our kitchen at the moment but when we redo the kitchen I'll probably see if we can do hardwood to coordinate with the original wood on the rest of the ground floor. So much easier on the feet than tile or stone. (My second choice would probably be slate though.)
February 3, 2014 at 6:26am      Thanked by glinda80164
Ottoman fabric, which one!?!?
Hi! So I'm back with a follow up question now that...
What color should I paint this small bedroom?
Main floor is getting painted next week. Mostly SW...
Would a tech-free day work in your home?
Imagine that you woke up one day and there were on...
help with furnishing and ideas for our house
The apartment is a 680 sq ft area. any ideas on...
Entry Way Help Needed
Trying to get new ideas for the entryway. The left...