Trying to workout the best use of space within our master suite.
Kristen Holden
We are trying to workout the most effective use of space in our master suite. Our house is a double fronted victorian, which we are modernising and extending. We have worked the block as much as we possibly can and have squeezed everything in that the area demands. Now we are unsure as to whether we are using the space in the master bedroom properly.

I've attached the full ground floor layout and highlighted the envelope of space that we have to work within. The alternative option that we are considering would be putting the walk in robe behind the bed, up against the back wall (Towards the garage) maybe 1.2m wide and then running the whole length of that wall. Rough sketch of what we are considering attached. The dimensions are in meters, but the overall space is roughly 6x6m.

Does anybody have any alternative suggestions for layout within this space??
Lampert Dias Architects, Inc.
The first layout is the best. The second one does not allow any room on either side of the bed for bedside tables. If it is at all possible I would switch the bathroom with the closet. The bathroom fixtures are all lined up against the living room wall and the wall might not be as soundproof as you would like. It would be better to move them further away from the living room......for more privacy.
February 3, 2014 at 12:15am     
OnePlan
Had a play with this !!! Thought how I would want it if I lived there!!!
February 3, 2014 at 1:03am        Thanked by Kristen Holden
Agreed, 1st layout on the left is very efficient. Alternatively consider moving the doorway to the master bedroom so guests are not looking directly at the bed and shift the bathroom and closet locations as per attached floor plan.
February 3, 2014 at 5:47am        Thanked by Kristen Holden
Patricia Colwell
I think the first one is perfect gives a nice spacious feel to the bedroom you might be able to add a chair and ottoman for a reading area. Sometimes over thinking leads to disaster.
February 3, 2014 at 6:08am      Thanked by Kristen Holden
Kristen Holden
Thanks guys!!! I think that I am definitely overthinking it all. Some great suggestions here though re the tweaking of the layout slightly and rearranging the bed.

In case anybody is interested, we just finalised the layout for the first floor as well. We are very constrained by overshadowing issues with next door, but we think we have squeezed as much as we possibly could out of the block :)
February 3, 2014 at 9:18pm     
OnePlan
Love the look of this home !!!
Just one more thought on your master bedroom !!!
February 3, 2014 at 11:30pm      Thanked by Kristen Holden
Lampert Dias Architects, Inc.
I love your first floor plan. The only suggestion that I would make is to access the powder room through the pantry so that it is not directly off the dining room......
February 4, 2014 at 12:04am   
OnePlan
And sound proof it - so other diners don't hear what effect sprouts have on you !!!! Tee hee !!!
February 4, 2014 at 1:32am   
lucidos
I can't discern where your windows are. This would give you storage along the long wall of the ensuite.
February 4, 2014 at 1:55am      Thanked by Kristen Holden
Kristen Holden
hahaah thanks for the suggestions guys. Will definitely make sure its soundproofed :) Appreciate the ideas for the master suite, we are working on some of these with the architect at the moment.

I've attached the final elevation drawings as well. Absolutely love this house and can't wait to start building. It's been a LOOONG and drawn out planning process due to council but we are fully compliant with everything they wanted now.
February 5, 2014 at 10:29am     
OnePlan
Wow ! It's going to be soooo worth it !!! Absolutely lovely !!
February 5, 2014 at 10:47am   
lucidos
Love it... I'm wondering though, perhaps forgo the study in lieu of a loo and make the guest bedroom dual purpose.
February 5, 2014 at 11:49am   
Teen girl trying to decide furniture layout
Hi, I just got my own room ad am trying to decide how...
Buyers Remorse
Oh Houzz gurus. We bought a house. It was a bidding...
Purchase of Living Room Set - NAPLES
Where do I purchase this Traditional Dining Room Set?...
Need help for my kitchen (my dad's kitchen)
So want to get a kitchen renovation.. What colour do...
Stuck on What Color to Paint My 1927 Center-Hall Colonial
We live in the northeast, very close to, but not on...