Master bedroom decorating dilemma
ladykateexi
We have recently switched bedrooms in order to give our one year old son a bigger room/playroom. We decided to completely redecorate our master. After finally finding a color paint the walls that would brighten up our windowless room we painted it and loved the new color. Our new duvet was our color pallet inspiration. We are using the plum color in it as well as other shades of purple. We decided to use black , silver and some white as the rest of the colors. We recently bought a black rug and are almost done painting it with a chevron pattern to turn it into a amazing white and Blake chevron rug for only $24 and it is 6 x 9 ft !!! The only thing left I can't seem to figure out what to do with is our night stands !! We bought two white nightstand a off of Craigslist . They are not horrible but I just don't love them:( . I really think they could be so much more but not sure how. so any suggestions on what you think I should do or not do I would be so grateful. I also could use help deciding on lighting. The dilemma is we have a fan that must come down and I would love to put a chandelier Up but what do I do about the track lights ? Could I take both the fan and track lights down and out two pendant lights up ( they are lined up in a straight even line). Thank you for any and all suggestions :)
Rina
A small idea to get things rolling -- how about painting the sidetables metallic silver and adding glass door knobs?
February 3, 2014 at 1:09am   
rosiegabby
Your right the night stands are ok. I would paint them a few shades darker than the walls and add new hardware.
February 3, 2014 at 1:40am   
rosiegabby
You might also experiment and see if raising the lamps looks good. Sometimes decorators will use lucite blocks to get the right height.
February 3, 2014 at 2:00am   
hasinajiwani
I like Rina's idea, it would add glamor to the room, also if you can figure out a way to lose the track lighting and the fan and replace with a chandelier it would pull the glamorous look together. Maybe a sumptuous padded headboard in the future? I like your bedding.
February 3, 2014 at 2:10am     
Rina
Art? These are from fineartamerica.com. I like them as restful images, but also that they both bring an accent colour in; the second very subtly.
February 3, 2014 at 2:51am   
ladykateexi
Thank you so much for your ideas ! I love the idea of painting the nightstands a metallic mirrored look with new knobs !! I also would have never even thought about raising the lamps but think that is brilliant. Any thoughts on where I can get a block to use that will still look good ? Please keep the suggestions and ideas coming and I would love your thoughts on my other post regarding my kitchen / living room situation or lack of I should say lol
February 3, 2014 at 3:49am   
carolins
You can use books to raise the lamps. And you can wrap the books in paper, colour(s) of your choice.
February 3, 2014 at 3:56am   
carolins
I like track lights, especially when you have something beautiful on the walls to point the light towards.
The night stands I'd paint semi-gloss or glossy black and put mirror on the tops, glass knobs on the drawers.
February 3, 2014 at 4:01am     
carolins
Sorry, multiple comments, but things keep popping into my mind ;-) Tall, narrow mirrors above the night stands would add a touch of glamour, add depth and bounce light around in the room.
Aldine Avenue
Kazazian Residence - Las Vegas
Fulshear Project
February 3, 2014 at 4:05am     
ladykateexi
I have been wanting a chandelier for shelves tomorrow as well as our tv . I have been wanting a chandelier fo so bad but haven't had the rooso I am in the middle of a diy wall rst project that I am making for my husband as a valentines day gift that will be going above our headboard. We also will be putting up wall shelves tomorrow as well as our tv . I have been wanting a chandelier in one of our rooms for what seems like forever and now I finally have a room to put it in but am not sure what to do with the track lights of I do out one up ? There are no windows I'm our room so I need to find ways to brighten it up and am not sure what my best route would be ? I am planning on putting a morrow on the floor to lean against the wall to try and help reflect what little light we so have. Of you have a chance to go to my other post listed as tiny shares kitchen /living room and tell me all of your awesome ideas I would love it ... Especially since that is the room I am completely lost and don't know what to do anymore :(
February 3, 2014 at 4:14am   
ladykateexi
Wow Carolins I love that idea !! And would have never even thought of it !
February 3, 2014 at 4:16am   
carolins
Why don't you put the track lights in the living room and a chandelier in the bedroom :-)
If you don't have enough height you could go for a flush mount one.
February 4, 2014 at 5:51am   
ladykateexi
That would work ! What would I do to cover up where they were in the master ?
February 4, 2014 at 11:05am   
Warner Decor
Hi! I love the colors you decided to go with ! I wanted to show you some mirrored side tables that may help you with the light issue in your room, because as you know, mirrors reflect any type of light in the room!
http://deciture.com/shop/furniture/9/mirrored-accent-table/
February 4, 2014 at 11:44am   
carolins
You can buy ceiling box cover plates.
February 4, 2014 at 12:12pm   
muscatnana
Great ideas about the mirrors above the bedside tables, I have been racking my brains thinking how I could make a bedroom I. Redecorating look better and brighter. Thanks Carolinns
February 4, 2014 at 12:30pm     
ladykateexi
Thank you so much for all your amazing ideas! My poor husband has been dragged from store to store every time you guys leave a good idea :) does anyone know if there is a way to do a diy project for making the nightstands mirror like ?
February 4, 2014 at 7:14pm   
I can't see a chevron rug working in this room. You already have the floor pattern, the spread and black & white pillows and the ruffled texture. Chevron is going to confuse things I think, and it is a bit overdone and tired now. IMO.
February 4, 2014 at 7:29pm   
Rina
Hello again Ladykate. I'm no diy guru, but you might research mirror mosaic tiles for your nightstands -- even if you only do the front of the drawers, and paint the rest, they could work.
February 4, 2014 at 9:27pm     
carolins
Google is a good source to find all kinds of tutorials about pimping furniture :-)
February 5, 2014 at 12:09am   
ladykateexi
What would rug pattern would you suggest then instead of chevron ?
February 6, 2014 at 9:28am   
How about that teal one rolled up by the bed? You could use a solid accent color.
February 6, 2014 at 9:25pm   
ladykateexi
The teal one rolled up we bought for our shared kitchen living room. I am going to paint a Moroccan pattern onto it. We bought a plain black one for the master and was also planning on painting it but maybe we should so another color ? Or I thought about doing a black and white instead of chevron ?
February 7, 2014 at 10:58am   
Your bedding has a very busy pattern already and so do the pillows, and the floor. That's why I prefer a solid color, and I think you have enough black already. How about a wool sisal-look rug with a black or burgundy border to slip 1/3 of the way under the bed. In wool, they are more comfortable under foot.
February 9, 2014 at 6:17am   
jacey22
Why do you want to paint a rug? I'd just do a solid color. It's much better to have a solid base that everything can work off from especially since you have so much going on in your bedroom. You can get mirror glass at any home improvement store that you can glue onto your night stands if you want to go that route. Art/craft stores have really fun knobs you can add.
Since you already have a head and footboard on your bed frame, if you ever wanted to make/add a padded headboard it would be a breeze and add a lot to your room! It's super easy and inexpensive.
February 9, 2014 at 6:31am   
Master bedroom & bath design dilemma
We are remodeling our master bedroom and bath. Should...
Master Bedroom Wall and Accent dilemma and ideas requested
We are repainting our master bedroom and need paint...
master bedroom color dilemma
I want to spice up my bedroom to be more romantic and...
Master Bedroom wall dilemma
We have just moved into our home that we waited 8 months...
Master Bedroom: window dilemma
I have two 'odd' items in what is now our master bedroom....
What should I do with this brick?
I'm planning to redo the siding on my house, need ideas...
Need help with Juliet balcony remodel
We have a French door and Juliet balcony over our front...
what would you suggest for this kitchen !! :)
Would you tear out the left side pantry or paint? ...
What color should I paint this small bedroom?
Main floor is getting painted next week. Mostly SW...
Renovating multifamily house
We are buying a multifamily house that needs a lot...