Ceramic tiles for my kitchen area
trishgio
Hi..we have started huge renovations on our home and I'm stumped as of what to do with the floor in our kitchen area. I was thinking to use ceramic tiles but only between the cabinets and the island so as not to chop up the area too much. So many of the new tiles are quite big and as we have a small area to cover, I'm wondering if we should stick to the smaller tiles (which limits our choices a lot). I'd really appreciate any advice as to size and colors of tiles..The cabinets are cherry wood stain with, granite galaxy black counter tops and all stainless appliances. The dining area will be hardwood flooring with a cherry wood stain. We need to choose the ceramic before the cabinets are installed and we are out of the country during the renovations...not an easy situation. So thankful for any advice though..
Tricia
soberg
First choice for a fully open kitchen would always be just to continue the dining area hardwood.

If you feel you must go for ceramic for practicality, I'd choose large tiles here: say 12" x 24". I used them in my entryway (in running bond pattern). The entryway is about 6' x 16' and the scale of the tiles looks perfect!

I wouldn't use small tiles in your kitchen floor...they may end up looking bathroomy, whereas since your kitchen is fully open to your dining room, you need something sophisticated. Also keep in mind that he floor tiles should be distinct in size and color compared to the backsplash.
February 3, 2014 at 3:29AM     
chezshelly
Why not mix materials? Bamboo & ceramic rather than hardwood.
Bamboo is a grass so it can handle more water than wood.
Border the kitchen in bamboo to make it more cohesive.
February 3, 2014 at 4:59AM     
Patricia Colwell
I would just run the same floor through from the DR, hardwood stands up very well in the kitchen.
February 3, 2014 at 5:08AM     
Agreed, use the same flooring material in this situation, whether it is all tiles or all hardwood.
February 3, 2014 at 5:31AM     
cancos tile & stone
One floor will unify area...Also bigger sized tiles will make area appear larger...optical illustrations less lines Less busy creates more open feel...
February 3, 2014 at 7:29AM     
trishgio
Thanks everyone for the comments..general concensus then is that we should just install the wood floor everywhere. We had already looked at the bamboo flooring but unfortunately in our area, the bamboo floors all have a laminate topping :( We wanted to put the same ceramic tiles in the kitchen area and foyer. I'll have to discuss this with my husband this evening. If we do decide to go ahead with the tiles then I will go for the larger ones.
Does anyone have any color suggestions though??
February 3, 2014 at 1:07PM   
cancos tile & stone
Lighter color on floor gives an airy feel but will require some extra sweeping and cleaning over a darker floor...are cabinets as dark as in 3d? Some people match their floor to the cabinets other match floor and backsplash..depends on style you're trying to achieve.
February 3, 2014 at 1:43PM   
trishgio
This is a sample of the cabinetry with one tile that really interests me. Since I have a friend doing all of my shopping for me...I have to rely on pics. Any comments?
February 4, 2014 at 9:16PM   
trishgio
This is another pic of the tile...Ceragres....Routes...Northern White.
February 4, 2014 at 9:20PM   
Tons Of Tiles
Hi Tricia,

Have you considered Porcelain Wood effect Tile?

They are very cost effective, hard wearing and can be used with underfloor heating. They look just like the real thing when they are laid and are perfect for kitchen areas. Here are some examples....http://www.tonsoftiles.co.uk/browse/87-wood-effect-tiles
February 7, 2014 at 5:19AM     
residential building reception design
i need some tips designing this residential building...
To float sofa in the room or have it against the wall.
Almost every design advice I have seen says to float...
Paint colors, shutters & circa 1980 stencil work
When we bought the house, the kitchen was done in this...
Need help for small kitchen table breakfast nook
I recall seeing a design on Houzz for a table used...
Styling Book Shelves
In theory, I understand some of the concepts of styling...