Update kitchen
ralbaneze
This house is on a lake in NH. Built in 1972, it has a great layout but the kitchen is dated. Should we just replace the countertops or the cabinents as well?
lgreenlees
Replacing the counters and the backsplash along with the door pulls will go a long way towards updating the look. You could also paint the cabinets as they appear to be in great shape. Not sure what the rest of the rest of the house is like but if it's on a lake maybe the wood look is appropriate. Good luck!
February 3, 2014 at 4:36am     
okdokegal
Cabinets are good. Lose the tiles... and give the cabinets a good cleaning and replace the knobs and pulls and you'll be good. The cabinets look to be real wood and in good shape, ad a simple enough design to be 'classic'.
February 3, 2014 at 5:04am     
jenakeroyd
Depends on if you want to change the layout.
February 3, 2014 at 5:33am   
Kevin Strader
Wood looks good. Stain a darker color, put granite on the counters and a new backsplash. Voila, a new kitchen.

Also, get a knife block for the drawer and dividers for the utensils and declutter the counter.
February 3, 2014 at 5:59am   
nonnyparry
Personally I don't like the colour of the wood, a bit too orangey-pine, so replace or paint. The tiles look ok though. If you look around there are lots of bird motifs at the moment and the Moroccan pattern is a classic. You could always re-grout them to freshen them up, or replace the work top but keep the splash-back.
February 3, 2014 at 6:21am     
Barnhart Gallery
We're thinking alike nonnyparry! Mocking something up now...
February 3, 2014 at 6:28am   
Barnhart Gallery
...As a New Englander, there's much affection for the local artisanship of this tile, and although it's horribly impractical as a countertop, and a bit dizzying in this volume, I'd endeavor to retain it as a charming backsplash and even design the space around it.

Mind you, I spent only minutes on this, but my first thoughts are these, replacing all but the backsplash with a cream granite, perhaps saving a few tiles to display as a tray on the island, and painting the bulk of the cabinets cream with the island in the navy. The rug is for outdoors, so easy to clean. True to it's charming NH roots but more of this century.
February 3, 2014 at 6:59am     
Barnhart Gallery
...and so much fun art can be found to play it up, these quick finds are on Etsy: http://www.etsy.com/search/handmade/art?q=blue+bird&view_type=gallery&ship_to=US&page=1
February 3, 2014 at 7:12am     
New England Kitchens
As long as removing the old countertop and backsplash does not damage the cabinets I would keep the cabinets. Change out countertop, backsplash, and hardware. Clean and maybe refinish cabinets. If you can refinish them yourselves it will definitely save you money. To refinish professionally will sometimes cost more than replacing. I would find a kitchen design and sales business that will offer you a free design and quote to price you new countertops, hardware, and cabinetry seperately vs. someone who would refinish the cabinets. Now a days most places offer free quoting and this may also help you make your decision based on your budget.
February 3, 2014 at 7:21am   
Warner Decor
Honestly, I really like the back splash with the birds! Here are a few decor suggestions:
http://deciture.com/shop/decor/9/white-ceramic-bird-knobs-set-2/
http://deciture.com/shop/decor/9/whitewash-birdcage-shelf-and-bird-top/
February 3, 2014 at 7:28am     
deniseashurst
I would keep cabinets and change counter, knobs, faucet, and lighting.
February 3, 2014 at 7:31am   
soberg
Cabinets look extremely nice - solid wood with a door profile rarely seen. I'd consider staining/refinishing or possibly paint. The cream paint in one reply shows how beautiful the backsplash can be. It has a timeless naif charm - wouldn't want to replace that with a bunch of today's trend. Engineered stone for countertops, and keep the backsplash if you can (may be tricky while demolishing counter).
February 3, 2014 at 7:32am   
Marilyn Wilkie
I love all of Barnhart Gallery's suggestions. Those cabinets are beautiful and slapping paint on them would be a crime in my opinion. I also love the tile backsplash...so unique and timeless in a way. I would just change out the countertops for something more neutral...not necessarily granite. Take the cues for the color from the tile. And you could look for new hardware that would be more up to date.
February 3, 2014 at 7:38am     
Sara Parker
LOve this look pretty much as is for a lake setting. I do think the black appliances and sink, so far as I can tell, would be good place to start on updating...when they need replacing. White for classic and easy to maintain, or stainless for trendy. Suppose you could go for a solid surface countertop, but I think this tile is charming and much more interesting.
February 3, 2014 at 7:55am     
ralbaneze
Exterior photo
February 3, 2014 at 8:53am   
mfwolfe
Just because it isn't granite and it isn't gray does not mean it is outdated. Pictures can lie so perhaps the cabinets are awful in person but from this picture they are not outdated. Perhaps you meant they are not your style? If so, rip them out and do something to your taste. But don't go to all that expense if you think they are outdated.
February 3, 2014 at 8:54am     
Marilyn Wilkie
mfwolfe said..."Just because it isn't granite and it isn't gray does not mean it is outdated. "
Love that!
February 3, 2014 at 8:57am   
my comment what most updates the kitchen updated in your photos
The third picture shown of your kitchen has the biggest...
need flooring updates/also kitchen updates
We have natural red oak floors in our kitchen, with...
Eat in Kitchen or extra counter space for updated kitchen
I have updated the floors, counter tops, backsplash,...
Kitchen remodel -- Need help updating small dark kitchen
Need help updating small U-shaped kitchen. We're willing...
Hate the color of my walls
I have green granite, slate floors and the gray on...
Trouble with backsplashes
I finally replaced my old Corian countertop with beautiful...
Help, we don't like the brick! and the overall look...
What would you suggest to help update this a little?...
Help need advice for crown molding not butting up to kitchen cabinets
Hi I just had some crown molding installed and my contractor...
Need held with crown molding for angled tray ceiling
How do you put crown molding for angled tray ceiling...