Put a carpet down ?
dcribari
Should we put a carpet down in this space ? We have new lamps coming ignore that ugly one. The couch is shitocki mushroom so we are having a hard time finding throw pillows and carpet to match it's like a grey-ish brown.
jck910
yes, an area rug would add warmth and color. get a stripe or floral and pull a color from it for throws and pillows. a window treatment will also soften and warm up the space
February 3, 2014 at 5:10AM     
Even something in a more neutral tones would help 'warm' up the space.

February 3, 2014 at 5:32AM     
CDR Design
Definitely a rug.

Other observations:

Need more photos, but

-need panel drapes.
-why is tv moved down so far-s/b centered on couch
-looks like you like neutral tones with pops of color. I would recommend a lighter paint, which will allow your couch to stand out more.

Are there any colors happening in adjacent rooms that we need to consider?
February 3, 2014 at 5:37AM     
February 3, 2014 at 5:47AM   
Rina
Yes, I agree. You should have a rug. This one would work -- and it gives you attractive colours for your throws and pilows, as Jck910 suggests.
http://www.wayfair.com/Area-Rugs-l167-c215386-O1243~5%27+to+8%27.html
February 3, 2014 at 5:50AM     
leelee
Looks like you have several young kids....consider an indoor/outdoor carpet that you won't worry about getting spills. They make some really attractive ones. These are from Plow and Hearth.
February 3, 2014 at 6:22AM   
leelee
Agree with moving your TV toward the center of the wall it is on now.
February 3, 2014 at 6:24AM   
CDR Design
Show us more photos of the room. There may be a better arrangement. For example, I ma wondering if you could place the tv on the opposite wall. Then the chaise part of the sectional would be on the end opposite the window. This would leave the window area open.
February 3, 2014 at 8:24AM   
February 3, 2014 at 8:32AM   
CDR Design
You are receiving a lot of good ideas on carpet, but you need to get your furniture set first. Then, you need to consider what colors might be in the adjacent rooms.

You cannot design in a vacuum.
February 3, 2014 at 8:54AM     
dcribari
This is the furniture that will be in the room. It's a very small room it's an older home. We tried other placements nothing fits well. Buying all new furniture is not an option. We do plan to eventually paint the walls a few shades lighter in beige.
How big of a carpet do I want a smaller one to be centered in the couch or a larger one that goes under the feet if the couch and media stand? The baby stuff does kinda throw off the balance in the room but we have kids so not much we can do.
February 3, 2014 at 8:59AM   
Rina
Your rug should go under the seating -- about a foot or so -- and close to the media stand, but it doesn't have to go under the media stand. In my opinion. I would put "humble" in there, but I'm not. And your furniture is fine. When you're ready, drapes would be good. And I speak as someone with no budget at all for anything. :-)

You know what would be good? A picture just about here ... something your kids will love as well as you. Something lighthearted, maybe a family photograph?
February 3, 2014 at 9:24AM   
CDR Design
You need a rug that goes under the feet of the sectional. It doesn't have to go under the ent. center.

What is the size of the sectional?
What is the space between the front of sectional and opposite wall?
February 3, 2014 at 9:26AM   
Rina
CDR: snap.
February 3, 2014 at 9:30AM     
Lori Dennis, ASID, LEED AP
I think a carpet in this space would look great! A berber carpet is excellent to have for high-traffic spaces. It's also great for longevity.
February 3, 2014 at 9:34AM   
dcribari
It's 89 inches from front of sectional to wall media stand in on. The couch Is 112 inches.
February 3, 2014 at 9:39AM   
CDR Design
Okay, I think that you should be able to buy a 5x 8 rug. Mark it out to be sure. If you place a 5x 8 rug about 6-12" under the sectional, then would that work? You can use painters tape to tape it out and take pic and post.
February 3, 2014 at 9:48AM   
Specialty Doors
go with a solid color rug, that way any pillows you pick will go.
February 3, 2014 at 10:24AM   
Replacing Old Aluminum Porch Cover
We recently purchased our 1940s minimal traditional...
Lounge and dining area
I would like to decorate this area as a lounge and...
What's in your fall garden?
Have you gotten started? Are you already knee deep...
Color
My couch is a smoke grey my wall is in the brown family...
drawing
Hi dear friends I can prepare for you cads drawing please...