Window Manufacturer - JeldWen or Andersen??

rbcolaFebruary 3, 2014
Need to choose JeldWen vs Andersen windows/new home build. Live in 47401 (S. Indiana). Lots of trees, woods, moisture. Architect recommended wood clad. Education on how to choose using criteria: Looks, Function, Durability, Low Maintenance, Cost.
Deborah Butler, Brickwood Builders
We have used both and by far like the Jeld-Wen. Much better made Window with more options. Agree with using a wood clad Window -will last much longer and looks much better.
    Bookmark   Thanked by rbcola    February 3, 2014 at 11:42AM
stirrypdx
If you care about whether the manufacturer is a good corporate citizen and environmentally responsible, I would encourage you to google JeldWen, which has its manufacturing in Oregon (where I live). Lots of environmental violations over the years. I won't buy from them for that reason. We installed wood Pella windows on our last house and they were gorgeous and excellent quality.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by rbcola    February 3, 2014 at 12:01PM
Hoebeke Builders, Inc. / The BuildCHX App
Looks like the others are recommending Jeld-Wen but I have no experience with this brand. One thought though, most new custom homes require custom sized windows and I know Andersen is not good with the custom sizes. To "stirrypdx's" point we have used both Pella and Marvin with great success on both the quality of the window and the custom sizes (for no real upcharge). Also, clad it the way to go, but I think Andersen is vinyl (which can break down with ultraviolet light), and I know both Pella and Marvin are aluminum (read: no maintenance).
    Bookmark   Thanked by rbcola    February 3, 2014 at 12:33PM
rbcola
Thank you all for sharing your opinions/experiences. The wood clad window type is what I'm interested in.
A) Quaker / Brighton Series is another window manufacturer I saw yesterday. I liked the quality, features, choices, and what I learned about the company, etc. Perhaps someone has had exposure to this line as I think it may be a better option for me - if it financially is within cost budgets. But I'm still info gathering and shared the info w/my builder too.
B) JeldWen, its the Siteline series.
C) Andersen - definitely a wood clad window, can't think of the name of the line - perhaps the Architectural series(?)
Marvin has a great reputation however probably out of the cost guidelines for the features/qualities we can get from the other companies.
1 Like    Bookmark   February 4, 2014 at 6:56PM
rocketjcat
Have you researched Eagle windows? Its the higher end of anderson. Our architect specified them, and we have been very pleased. Wood stained interior, aluminum clad, and they offer sash and window combinations in multi-tone colors for no additional charge. We got a combination of teal green and caramel. http://www.eaglewindow.com/Freedom/Unlimited-Exteriors.aspx
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by rbcola    February 4, 2014 at 7:20PM
rbcola
Thank you again for sharing your opinions and experiences!!!

The issue I've had locally w/Jeld-Wen Siteline is none of the businesses in my zip code has the Siteline a working display. However, I'm hoping to see them this week. I have seen the Quaker Brighton on display, and liked it too. I think now that you (rocketjcat) mentioned it - the Andersen Eagle was what we were considering. Definitely don't recall it being a vinyl clad either. Some other brands that look good on Houzz and online were: Weather Shield, Melgard and Kolbe. I think Kolbe's going to be out of my budget (like Marvin and beyond!).
    Bookmark   February 10, 2014 at 2:43PM
rbcola
Just an update on my assessment. Asked the Quaker folks for homes in my area with the Brighton (aluminum,wood clad only series) with casement and double hung installs to drive by. They are putting that together.
1 Like    Bookmark   February 27, 2014 at 6:09AM
rbcola
Looked today. Did see more of their installations. But still have questions. Don't see very much new construction projects. These were older homes and granted the windows seem to be in good condition. I will pose the question to the mftr rep/sales rep.
1 Like    Bookmark   February 27, 2014 at 6:54PM
rbcola
Still in the home build process.....but did go w/Jeld-Wen. They seem very nice but the proof will be in the "pudding"......when we move in and live with them. Hope to keep you posted.
1 Like    Bookmark   September 16, 2014 at 4:53PM
slupher
rbcola - Did you go with the siteline product from Jeld-Wen? We are also building new and are looking for an appropriate look for a modern prairie home, which vinyl is just not looking good in that regard. Thanks.
    Bookmark   October 22, 2014 at 6:43PM
rbcola
@slupher: yes, did go with Jeld-Wen Siteline. As stated - still in build process, will know more when we live in the house. I was at the site yesterday - Windy, cold, wet outside - the construction site seemed noticeably quiet, warm, "tight"......so far. Best wishes to you....
    Bookmark   November 1, 2014 at 10:56AM
slupher
Great, thanks rbcola. We're breaking ground next week and need to order windows soon. Given our options I think we're going with the siteline as well. Happy to share pics once we get to that point.
1 Like    Bookmark   November 1, 2014 at 1:09PM
speedyd96
Would you like to see the full line of Andersen Products. We have a commented Dealer in Bloomington market, that displays our complete lines. Today we have 6 Product Series with a wide range of price points.
    Bookmark   November 14, 2014 at 11:20AM
Dawn Doherty
Our builder recommended Kolbe over Marvin and the others. The interior doors we got from Kolbe are beautiful and flawless. The windows were the opposite. We installed double-hung and they've leaked not just air (they would "scream" when we had high-winds), but the sheer amount of dust and particulates was ridiculous. Kolbe's reps have been to our house several times. First they added several screws into the side jams of every window to see if that would help. That helped only a little. Then a couple years later, after the windows still had wind leaks, they replaced the weather stripping with a thicker fabric strip. The wind, dust leaks, and screaming has been resolved but now opening the windows requires super-human strength with the risk of herniation. Our new home is going on 8 years old. We have already discussed replacing all the Kolbe windows with something/anything else.
    Bookmark   January 14, 2015 at 11:27AM
Jeld-Wen Aurora Entry Door Reviews
Does anyone have a review of the Jeld-Wed Aurora doors?...
Erin
Jeld wen doors
Hello! Are the doors painted vinyl or wood? Also, how...
jenntodryk88
Best quality windows
We are getting ready to build a new house in a few...
Kylie Bailey
Need help picking a rug
Can't decide on a rug the one there is too small just...
Joann
Let's play in my LR!
OK, so we moved into this much smaller place over a...
rredpenn
what kind of vent do we need under a cabinet hood?
We are having a vent hood custom made over our cooktop....
lams06
Looking for kitchen experts to help with weird layout!
Hi everyone! Hoping to start a kitchen remodel soon....
Lrw2a
Kitchen layout help please!!
I would love some feedback on where the appliances...
Angela Flotken