What changes would you make?
Greater Toronto Contractors
Here are a couple renderings of the same kitchen space with different backsplash and counter top options. Do you like either look? How would you tackle this space?
I like picture #1 for the counters and backsplash, but I do not like the glass door. Just too much shine.
1 Like   Thanked by Greater Toronto Contractors    February 3, 2014 at 10:46AM
hayleydaniels
Not a fan of either as they're both way too busy. The first one is like having a light shone in your eyes, and the second one would be okay if you got rid of the white grout. I do like the green tiles and countertop, but both are WAY to white for my taste.
2 Likes   Thanked by Greater Toronto Contractors    February 3, 2014 at 10:50AM
anaid
I'm partial to #1, however because of the standing oven controls, counter, backplash and floor being or having dark color, my entire attention is drawn down. I'd lose some of the glass front; keeping the 2 center on the dishwasher side with glass. Darken the backs n' loose a shelf. I purposefully did this in my kitchen, because of my black stove and darker floor. Just my thoughts though of course. The space is lovely! ugh ... just noticed the photo didn't come through - sorry.
0 Likes   February 3, 2014 at 10:56AM
Neither backsplash looks good with the counter it is paired with. The first granite, in particular, needs a much simpler backsplash.
3 Likes   February 3, 2014 at 10:56AM
Ann
Neither, both too busy!
3 Likes   February 3, 2014 at 11:01AM
momof5x
I love both but would choose the second one as it doesn't dazzle the eyes as much and plus I love the way it looks. Buy some green dishes to go in the cupboard, they will look nice and go with the green back splash of the wall. Once you have put appliances etc. it will look fine.
0 Likes   February 3, 2014 at 11:01AM
yvonnecmartin
Neither.
0 Likes   February 3, 2014 at 11:03AM
Marilyn Wilkie
I actually like #1. I think the backsplash pulled the colors out of the granite well. But I would have fewer glass doors as eel as in rendering #2l. I wouldn't want all of my items on display. Nice job. I don't always think in terms of "busy".
0 Likes   February 3, 2014 at 11:03AM
Barbara Griffith Designs
Seriously, what were you thinking?
0 Likes   February 3, 2014 at 11:09AM
Marilyn Wilkie
@Barbara Griffith Designs, not a very nice comment.
3 Likes   Thanked by Greater Toronto Contractors    February 3, 2014 at 11:13AM
sunnydrew
I think seeing all the shelves in the first one makes the ceiling come lower ( horizontal lines) I would rather see a vertical glass tile to push up the ceiling. I can't really tell what the granite looks like to say which backsplash, but I do not like the first picture.
0 Likes   Thanked by Greater Toronto Contractors    February 3, 2014 at 11:28AM
inyourface24
Wall sconce looks too big. Nice bones. However, painting the lower cabinets black might add depth and anchor the whole look.
0 Likes   February 3, 2014 at 11:33AM
bubblyjock
I don't like wide upper cabinet doors, as they'll brain too many passers-by when open. I think the scale of your upper cabinets could be improved, therefore.

I'd rather see a mix of glass and solid upper doors, vs all solid or all glass. So, how about all solid on the stove wall, all glass on the other wall.

Why do the upper cabinets stop before the bulkhead? Grubby little waste of space up there which would be more useful as cupboards.

I prefer the countertops in the first image, but that bitty backsplash would drive me nuts! I'd rather see a simpler backsplash, particularly in such a small kitchen.
1 Like   February 3, 2014 at 11:40AM
indianpatti
I don't like either one of these. My first step would be to remove the backsplash ... paint .. change the lighting.
0 Likes   February 3, 2014 at 1:00PM
Cinque Residential
I would suggest removing the furr down over the cabinets. Possibly adding an additional row of cabinets above the existing cabinets for more storage. Change ceiling fixture. Add color to the walls.

Good Luck!

the Cinque Team
0 Likes   February 3, 2014 at 1:05PM
Cure Design Group
I prefer #1, but I would do can lights in the ceiling vs a fixture and I would add in drop pendants over the island, scrap the side sconce, and keep the under cabinet lighting. I would do a matte gray subway tile for a back splash and a matching grout, anytime you add white grout, its harder to clean and is busy. I would love to see larger pulls on the upper cabinets as well. I would also add a cushion to the bench seat and artwork on the wall.
1 Like   February 3, 2014 at 1:22PM
Love it.
0 Likes   February 3, 2014 at 1:55PM
Thos. Baker
Of the two, I prefer #1, but I would change the back splash to incorporate some brown hues to tie the flooring in. Would also use pendant lighting over the counter and remove the sconce. I'm not sure what the black surface is in the bottom right corner -- looks to be a bench seat? I would remove the black surface and use wood to match the flooring instead. Last, but not least, the ceiling light is too small, but it's probably too late in the game to rework the ceiling into something more exciting.

Christi, on behalf of Thos. Baker
0 Likes   Thanked by Greater Toronto Contractors    February 3, 2014 at 2:01PM
Barbara Griffith Designs
Sorry you took offence Marilyn Wilkie..my comment was for the contractor who posted..looking for compliments.
0 Likes   February 3, 2014 at 2:09PM
usergray
Both of them are pattern overload for me...2nd is the least preferred. I personally hate bold 'gridlines' on walls or floors. Try some texture instead of the excessive use of patterns in your backsplashes or go with a solid midto dark gray instead of marble.
0 Likes   February 3, 2014 at 2:12PM
grobby
Personally, I wouldn't want either design. They both present as cold and sterile ; however it's a homeowner's choice. I'm sure it will warm up with some cooking going on.
0 Likes   February 3, 2014 at 2:15PM
Glass Tile Store
I wouldn't change a thing since i'm a fan of simple and clean designs. Nice work on this!
0 Likes   February 3, 2014 at 7:07PM
mcgrunner18
Ok, if this is just a rendering of the kitchen here are the changes I would make:
1. Remove the soffits and use upper cabinets that go to the ceiling
2. Take the bench out so that you can get an eating bar out of the peninsula
3. Pendant lights over the peninsula
4. Remove the sconce
5. More lighting in the kitchen area
6. And in both pictures the backsplash doesn't work with the granite (too busy)
1 Like   February 3, 2014 at 7:30PM
hayleydaniels
Barbara Giffith, I agree the contractor is looking for compliments, but I bet he had quite a shock at how many negative comments he got. If his clients loved the kitchens, that's all that matters. He has to please them, not me.
1 Like   February 3, 2014 at 9:42PM
Kitchen layout
I am working on designing a kitchen and looking for...
**Dining area Dilemma**
Two birds, one stone hopefully. First, lots of empty...
Can't decide kitchen color
I am moving into a new apartment. I would love to have...
Which sink would you rather have in your kitchen?
My husband and I have different opinion about the kitchen...
Kitchen help
Above kitchen cabinet over and on side of a peninsular,...