Improving the curb appeal
elw4797
We may be putting our house on the market this summer. If we don't decide to relocate, we'll continue living here for at least five more years. These pictures were taken last spring - right now everything is burried in snow. What would you suggest to improve the curb appeal and give this home "personality"?

The ugly bush under the window has been replaced with three little boxwoods (and that's it so far, the bed is pretty empty). What else should I plant there?

Thanks in advance!
Barbara Griffith Designs
I would paint the garage door the color of the house, paint the front door black, and add large, heavy, black new light fixtures to garage & house. Outline the piece of walkway from the driveway to the porch with the low boxwoods. I would add a tall plant at the right corner of the house, this side of the gutter spout, and shrubs that are larger than boxwoods under the window. Add an irregular shaped planting around the lonely tree in the front. Also, see if you could replace the porch pillar to be one that is wider..bulkier.
1 Like   February 3, 2014 at 2:26PM
MINICK MATERIALS
Landscaping is your best bet for instant and easy curb appeal. It looks like you have some great areas to the right of your porch and the little break between concrete to plant a garden. You can create a raised be with a pretty stone wall to a break up between the green of the yard and the tan/white of the house. Make sure to include lots of different textures and colors with different plants and a maybe a dark mulch.
1 Like   February 3, 2014 at 2:29PM
elw4797
@BGD thanks for those suggestions. I wish I could see what that would look like. It's difficult to imagine!

How does one replace the pillar by the front door? Here is a closer pic.
0 Likes   February 3, 2014 at 2:31PM
elw4797
@Minick Materials there are rocks there right now. I mulch okay that close to the house (termites)? I heard tallest plant goes in the back row. Now that I have three little, young boxwoods in the row closest to the house, I'm not sure what to plant in front of them.
0 Likes   February 3, 2014 at 2:34PM
MINICK MATERIALS
Whether or not mulch touching your house draws in termites is a debated topic. It's better to be safe than sorry, so you may create some kind of gap between the wall and the mulch, but it is also important to keep the mulch to around 2 inches, this keeps the termites from having adequate mulch to dig in. As far as specific plants, we are a landscape material supplier, so we would refer you to a landscaper for the best answer.
1 Like   February 3, 2014 at 2:45PM
printesa
The door gets lost in there, so I would paint it a different color; maybe black would be an option like Barbara mentioned above.

The flower bed is very small. I would bring it forward at least until the last step. There are many plants that look beautiful and you could use. Some easy options would be Deutzia gracilis 'Nikko', which has nice white flowers, "Pink Muhly Grass" would bring some softness to the corners of your stairs and you could also add it where you have the rock. For low growers, you could use Festuca-Pepindale Blue grass
0 Likes   February 3, 2014 at 2:50PM
Tidewater Pro Build
You just need to landscape, house looks nice otherwise. Try some colorful welcoming flowers and plants. If your pockets are deep right now think about putting a dormer or gable in the roof above the garage, just looks a little odd.
0 Likes   February 3, 2014 at 2:57PM
Tidewater Pro Build
Hopefully these help
0 Likes   February 3, 2014 at 3:07PM
Tidewater Pro Build
left is a gable and right is a dormer
0 Likes   February 3, 2014 at 3:11PM
ATGStores.com
Nice home! Check out the link below for some quick and inexpensive items to enhance the curb appeal of your home. Besides painting the front door and even the garage a different color to compliment or match the shutters, add some more potted plants around the walkway and garage and more shrubs and flowers to enhance your walkway.Outdoor lighting is also an easy addition to your home. Have fun!

Get more ideas @ http://www.atgstores.com/curb-appeal_924.html
http://www.atgstores.com/outdoor-lighting_18.html
0 Likes   February 3, 2014 at 3:30PM
Pro Apps
Suggestions so far have been good. I agree with outlining the entrance walkway with a garden and you can take it a step further and continue that garden all the way to the end of the driveway adding alot of definition to the space. Another idea is adding a row of cedars along the other side of your driveway, which would add alot of appeal and also create privacy within your lot which may be desirable.. This also can be a good price/impact option considering you can buy these trees at walmart for really cheap.. I would definetely also consider changing your light fixtures to larger/modern ones.. Another idea is adding a small stone border runnning from your porch to the end of the house (appox where the eavestrough is located), this would raise the garen making your plants within them more pronounced from the street..
0 Likes   February 3, 2014 at 3:34PM
Everything Beautiful Home Designs LLC
Curb appeal.
8 Likes   February 3, 2014 at 3:45PM
Warner Decor
Hi! A lot of people in my neighborhood like to put two Adirondack chairs in the front yard to bring a little charm to the yard. Here is what I am talking about: http://deciture.com/shop/outdoor/3/coral-coast-white-adirondack-chair/
0 Likes   February 3, 2014 at 5:47PM
elw4797
Are storm doors out?
0 Likes   February 3, 2014 at 6:04PM
printesa
I've seen many people adding storm doors, but I personally don't like them.
0 Likes   February 3, 2014 at 6:09PM
grobby
I have a larson's security storm door that was on the front door when we bought the house. Don't think I could live without it. Let's in lots of light, and I feel very secure with opening the main door. So nice to look out an open view.
1 Like   February 3, 2014 at 6:21PM
elw4797
Thanks for all these great suggestions! I will do some serious landscaping as soon spring arrives. We're getting 5-8" of snow today, so a girl can dream!

Here are my remaining questions:

1. Do the shutters and sunburst around the top window look dated? Replace both? No sunburst? What color, both black or both white?

2. Keep front door white or paint it black? Lose storm door? We haven't used it once in the ten years we've been here.

3. Updated light fixtures? What color, black? Can the door knob stay brushed nickel?
0 Likes   February 4, 2014 at 12:34PM
Lori Dennis, ASID, LEED AP
Try a combination of hydrengeas, a japanese maple tree, and a few small shrubs.
1 Like   February 4, 2014 at 12:45PM
printesa
I hope someone here who knows how to do a mockup will show you how the door in a different color would look. I would say in black.
I would loose the sunburst above the window. To me, it looks dated. As for the shutters, I don't know what to say about it. I'm not much of a traditionalist so I really don't have an opinion on this. I like them on large windows when they are functional.
0 Likes   February 4, 2014 at 1:37PM
Kevin Strader
Here's a mock up with a black door and a dark red door. I personally think you should go with a color different than the shutters. Draw more attention to the door by making it a different color than anything else on the house.
3 Likes   February 4, 2014 at 3:09PM
Sara Parker
I like the red door. How about some evergreens under the windows, pots of geraniums in summer; or window boxes of trailing evergreens in winter and geraniums and ivy in summer? Where is the house?
0 Likes   February 4, 2014 at 3:35PM
garden design online
My ideas:
0 Likes   February 4, 2014 at 6:26PM
elw4797
Ahh, I can see it now. Thanks for the mock up. I don't like red and the color combo of the light yellow house and red door is the collegiate rival here. So my husband would object!
0 Likes   February 4, 2014 at 6:33PM
Sound Painting Solutions
I would add some landscaping/plants up the side of the driveway, I agree with painting the garage door,and paint the front door. Nice house! Good luck!
1 Like   February 4, 2014 at 9:13PM
elw4797
Paint the garage door the same light yellow as the house?

Paint the front door what?

Get new shutters and remove sunburst?

Get large black light fixtures?

Then a ton of landscaping?!
0 Likes   February 5, 2014 at 2:26PM
Denita
You have a lovely home that just needs a few minor touches to enhance its curb appeal. I agree with almost everyone above :) Landscaping and painting will go a long way toward your desired curb appeal. I do think you need to replace your shutters, they just don't do your home justice because they are the wrong size for the window. When you replace your shutters, replace them with shutters that are sized correctly and are either actually functional or appear functional. It will make a big difference in the appearance of your home.

Here is an article (short) that shows you how shutters should look. The article is well written and has photos too. It will only take a moment to read: http://www.lifeofanarchitect.com/residential-architecture-101-shutters/

Also, consider beefing up the porch post. You can get cladding around it to make it look more substantial.
1 Like   February 5, 2014 at 2:37PM
Sweet Caroline Garden Design
You have a wonderful house, leave it as is and just buy some nice annuals, shrubs and perennials and create a bed as in the example below. If you want to do it yourself take measurements of the area and the sketch to your local independently owned garden center and they'll help you with your plan.
1 Like   February 5, 2014 at 2:44PM
Remove the second floor shutters which do not fit and are vinyl; remove the wreath. Paint the garage door black and the front door black.

Make a larger apron for the treeā€¦as wide as the widest branches and underplant with the three boxwoods and add a couple more.

Spend a few dollars more on three larger bushes for the foundation plantings..I suggest Cherry Laurel which can be trimmed according to taste.

0 Likes   February 5, 2014 at 2:50PM
Everything Outdoors of Tulsa
New edge lines on beds and fresh mulch would be the most cost effective if you were "staging" the house to sell. Further than that, I would consider paying close attention to the front right of the home with a swooping bed that will hold a small tree such as a Little Gem Magnolia, or Nelly Stevens Holly. This will balance the right side with the large garage taking up so much of the left. I would always consider putting a couple boulders into the landscape as well to obtain some depth perception from the road. Good luck to you!
1 Like   February 5, 2014 at 2:54PM
jdingles
Once you list, please consider removing the security sign. Potential buyers might be scared off.
0 Likes   February 13, 2014 at 7:51PM
Need HELP with improving exterior facade and improving curb appeal
Recently gutted and remodeled interior and it looks...
Sarah Queen
Improve curb appeal and change to appealing color scheme
Want to upgrade the front of the house with color scheme...
David Bauder
Help with improving curb appeal
Not sure what to do with front yard to enhance. I want...
eigdim62
California Ranch home gets improved curb appeal & new entry
Our clients wanted a modern upgrade. They love how...
M. Designs Architects
How can I improve curb appeal on my house??
How can I improve the curb appeal of our new house?...
jam76j
Help! Kitchen Layout ... New build
Hi! We are building a new home and are not sold on...
Brenna Pearce
How can I improve this kitchen nook?
Ok design enthusiasts, what would you do with this...
kimberlysc
Does Tuscan faux finish look dated?
We recently bought a house in Arizona that is very...
gail1979
Help!
I need help with my mantel. I don't think the white...
kimberlysc
Sectional
Can someone help me interpret this drawing? It was...
heatherjillh