Blending Traditional and Modern
Daren M
We moved from Southern California to Texas several years ago and built the traditional Texas home. In the last year we have been going room by room and moving toward a more modern look. The biggest issue is our Foyer. I am having trouble trying to come up with a way to blend the modern. The floors were changed from wood to a porcelain slate mostly due to a water heater flood and about that time we had the arch covered in wood. HELP
anniau
That's a really elegant stairway and what a generous space. Modern has lots of different meanings. You mentioned that you have tried to make other rooms more modern - what have you been most happy with?
I can see the space connects with all of the rest of the house and any changes in trim colour or walls could would have major ramifications and be a very big job. The wood trim and panelling also looks beautiful quality.
At a first look, a few options to think about to update are:
- The table and the floral display. I think these could be a bit larger, not quite 'hotel lobby' but very generous. Perhaps chose a non-wood table - marble, metal ?
this would be a great place for a taller grand display of foliage, branches etc.
- Lighting - The sconces could be updated but how are these repeated through the house? Is there a possibility for a new chandelier over the centre table?
- the decorative inserts in the stair railings - can these be removed as I think they look a little fussy?
- update the art - something larger
I am curious about the opening about half way up the stairs? Is that needed?
2 Likes   February 4, 2014 at 8:51AM
Specialty Doors
Gorgeous home. I don't think i would change much, perhaps doing something with the black iorn on the staircase... but looks great to me!
1 Like   February 4, 2014 at 8:57AM
Sustainable Dwellings
If you want more modern, sell this beautiful home and build a contemporary. Don't try to make a cowgirl into a ballerina...
3 Likes   February 4, 2014 at 9:01AM
Daren M
Thank you for all your kind words. I guess my word should have been Contemporary rather than Modern. When we moved in it was all about warmer colors but now I am pulled towards greens and grey. Recently redecorated our dining room and office using green which blended well with the builders standard color. Now I am wondering if I can work in a more contemporary grey. Anniau, it's funny that you mention a larger table, the picture I posted is from before the water heater burst and that table has been replaced with 50" table. We are in the middle of a remodel of the guest bath that is just off the foyer and attached a picture of the tile. It was grouted today so the tile is still a bit hazy.
0 Likes   February 4, 2014 at 7:00PM
anne dee
beautiful intricate flooring!!
for a more contemporary feeling you may want to have a sculpture/similar on the table at the stairway(your present table scape is in the traditional vein)
pic submit fro reference

1 Like   February 4, 2014 at 7:19PM
Daren M
Anne dee, thank you for the great idea. I have not changed the grouping on the table since we moved in. Time to start sourcing for some new art. Thanks for the great insight.
1 Like   February 4, 2014 at 8:21PM
anniau
Looks like we are on the same track rocbearca :). Love your bathroom and it works perfectly with the foyer and tile work there.
1 Like   February 5, 2014 at 12:33AM
Deborah Costa
It is important to stay true to the style of your home to create a cohesive flow from the curb appeal of our house, to the moment you walk in the front door to exploring the layout. If you are sticking to a tight budget, our design team recommends bringing in more transitional elements through furniture, textiles and accessories all while sticking to the bones of your home. For example, search for cleaner lined furniture in neutral color waves. Bring in pops of color and life through pillows, rugs and art. Chandra offers great rugs at an awesome price point that boast both great quality and on trend colors, patterns and textures. While more industrial, I can't help but mention the Four Hands warehouse clearance center in Austin. Hope this helps. Let us know if you need more input. Happy shopping!
1 Like   February 5, 2014 at 12:41AM
leelee
Add 2 of these ottomans.
1 Like   February 5, 2014 at 12:42PM
leelee
Then fill the wall with whimsical mask faces.
0 Likes   February 5, 2014 at 12:43PM
leelee
another face
0 Likes   February 5, 2014 at 12:44PM
leelee
one more
0 Likes   February 5, 2014 at 12:44PM
leelee
final one
0 Likes   February 5, 2014 at 12:45PM
Soapstone vs Virginia Mist Granite (honed)?
Hi All! I would love some advice...I fell in love...
What to do with mantel - paint? Any other suggestions would be help.
Hubby loves paneling. We want to keep room rustic.
Need help with designing basement in NJ
Looking to have a nice sitting area to watch football...
Should I paint the beadboard?
Used this bead board which Carpenter had left from...
Help design my country/vintage/modern idk what it is kitchen!
okay, here is my kitchen. Just had the granite installed...