This bathroom needs help
Junee G
Hi, we are currently in the process of designing a new bathroom. We just bought a new house and everything else was remodeled except this flashback to 1980's master bath. It has a bidet that needs to go and a toilet that needs to be moved to the area where bidet is. All the contractors we spoke to tell us to keep original setting to avoid a lot of labor cost so that is really the only part we are moving. We are also going to make the shower bigger and will make it go all the way to vanity. What should we do with the high ceilings, should we cover it with dry wall and bring it down so we can have recessed lights or keep it as it is and just put lights on walls? We only have very little light from the small window and a skylight on top. All our bedrooms have those high beam ceilings in that color and I would prefer to keep that so it matches the rest of the house. Thank you in advance!
I'd keep the ceilings high, keep the skylight and add a larger window. A jpg of the floor plan would be helpful for ideas.
February 3, 2014 at 10:25PM     
Junee G
here is the proposed lay out
February 3, 2014 at 10:34PM     
I like your new layout. For more lighting, I'd suggest sconces by the vanity mirrors.
February 3, 2014 at 10:42PM     
Junee G
the one we have now has a bidet where the storage cabinet is and a shorter shower where the tub ends, so far every thing will be the same except we will go with a free standing tub, we don't know whether we should keep shower area all glass or to separate the tub and shower with a half wall. any design ideas would be helpful as we really are at a loss, we want to keep cost down but at the same time we want a nice bath.
February 3, 2014 at 10:42PM   
Junee G
so you think I can get away with sconces on the walls? how would I do the shower area though as it is in the far end of the room and has the least lighting.
February 3, 2014 at 10:45PM   
I'll think on this and check back. Night night time. :)
February 3, 2014 at 10:54PM   
Suzy Ivancic
I would get rid of the dark ceiling , paint it a light colour and if you are tiling use large tiles . Will make the bathroom feel bigger . Would also get rid of those tiles on the floor -they are too small and busy . Love the idea of a bigger window or maybe even put a large chandelier in it to give it a bit of style
February 3, 2014 at 10:55PM      Thanked by Junee G
I've been thinking about your lack of lighting in the space. Here is food for thought...you could do faux beams across the top so you can add lighting. I think it would add a feeling of coziness as well. Dimmer lighting for sure for tub soak time.
Two may be enough. One right of center (between the sinks) and left of center, near the tub and above the shower. Bathroom approved lighting. :)
Mountain Lodge
Attic Conversion
February 4, 2014 at 11:52AM        Thanked by Junee G
Suzy's idea of a large chandelier is also a good and simple solution. (Large, and on a dimmer).
February 4, 2014 at 11:56AM   
Junee G
Suzy, the big tiles and lighter ceilings, what a great idea! The room is pretty big but rather narrow, how about having wood tile floors in beige facing shorter direction? Might eliminate the narrow feel? And use big tiles on walls will bring ceiling down a little?
February 4, 2014 at 2:08PM   
Junee G
Darzy, I love the faux beam on that pic! I think that will be another way for us to keep the original wood and height of ceilings! What color should we go for tile and countertops if we keep dark wood of beams?we are not keen on white walls and tiles
February 4, 2014 at 2:12PM   
Junee G
So my bathroom is finished! Just a few more touches and we are ready for the big reveal. I will be posting pictures soon. We ended up keeping the high ceiling and wood beams and changing the tub and shower lay out. Thank you for the help!
April 25, 2014 at 10:55AM   
Lisa Wandzilak
We are planning a bathroom remodel soon similar to your size. This may be inappropriate to ask, I apologize, but I'm wondering about how much it ended up costing. I live in San Francisco and the cost estimator on Houzz says it will be 16-25k. I feel like the reality is, 25-40k. My husband and I cannot agree on a budget. Lol. I can't wait to see pics of the completed project. Congratulations!
April 25, 2014 at 9:38PM     
Junee G
Hi. I just posted my bathroom, I don't know if you can see it from my idealbook, but I'll post a few pics on this thread. We live in Torrance, California and it cost me $31k to finish this bathroom, it would have been more if I went with custom vanities maybe close to 45k if I also went with toto toilet and faucet to match my tub. But we went with kohler and paid contractor more for quality of shower and slab quartz to frame shower. We also had dry rot issue so we replace walls and waterproofed entire bathroom. We had to float floors with cement boards because tiles were breaking off in old bath.
April 26, 2014 at 9:07PM   
Junee G
Oh we also changed the lay out by switching the bath tub and toilet,moved toilet to other side of the room, so it isn't the first thing you see when you first walk in, we switched were the door opens to hide it. Now the highlight of the room is my toto cast iron tub which really are most of the budget, including the faucet, it was the biggest purchase in the room.
April 26, 2014 at 9:15PM   
Need HELP, HELP,HELP in bathroom and laundry room
We just recently purchased this house and it is in...
Need Help Deciding on Bathroom Vanity Width for Very Small Bathroom
I am remodeling a very small bathroom (approx. 5 ft...
Need help creating a new bathroom space by combining 2 bathrooms
2 level townhouse. want to combine 2 full baths into...
BATHROOM! Need help for my bathroom!!!
Hi, I recently painted my bathroom an orange color,...
Bathroom. 1960 green bathroom need help. Black tile border,green tile.
I need an updated bathroom. I note even sure where...
Rug question!
So I got this rug on sale and I can return it at any...
House needs new facade.
Looking for ideas please. I am do have some thoughts...
Need help with accent chair
I am redesigning my family room. I just bought a cream...
How would you spend $10k to improve this kitchen?
I would love to hear you advice! We are finally ready...