Help with floorplan/ kitchen layout?
Ryan Fitzgerald
So I recently bought a place in Upstate NY, and looking to change the floorplan around a bit... there currently is no back door, so I'm definitely going to be putting one in, I'm just not sure where yet.. I need to take out one or the other bedroom to do it. A woodstove is also a must before next winter hits. I'm currently on oil-fired radiators... while I love the radiators, I hate paying for the oil man to come pump more gold into my tank.

I'm going to be doing most of the work myself, and budget is a concern, so I would like to keep the kitchen/ bathroom in close to their current positions so I won't have to completely redo the plumbing in the basement.

The first picture is the current layout.. While I like the large bathroom, I think it's taking up too much real estate currently.. the second picture is what I'm thinking after collaborating with some friends.. Any and all ideas are very welcome!
Ryan Fitzgerald
Zoomed in on the floorplans so they're easier to read on here... the porch is just a 3 season porch, so it doesn't matter for this plan..
February 4, 2014 at 2:03am   
OnePlan
Ok - so I moved some bits a little .. Just to give you an idea to maybe condisider ( even if only briefly!)
February 4, 2014 at 7:16am        Thanked by Ryan Fitzgerald
HI -- Consider putting the laundry in or near the bathroom to keep all the plumbing close together . Also look at pellet stoves instead of a wood stove . Better heat for longer burning time . And watch where the doors are and the door swings. And also plan for more storage . I like the OnePlan floor plan -- only thing I would change is moving the bedroom door down closer to the bathroom area and not cutting into the kitchen. And I wouldn't stick the stove in the corner . Should be centered more on the wall backing the bedroom wall - better for heat distribution . Then the sofa will be on the opposite wall.
February 4, 2014 at 7:27am   
OnePlan
Just changed to a bigger screen and realised I'd wiped out your stairs !! Lol ! I thought those brown bits were storage cupboards ! Whoops !!!
February 4, 2014 at 7:58am   
HI -- Whoops from me too !!
February 4, 2014 at 8:01am     
OnePlan
Had a re think !
February 4, 2014 at 8:35am        Thanked by Ryan Fitzgerald
Ryan Fitzgerald
Thanks OnePlan! Yeah... if budget was no concern, I'd be expanding into the backyard and moving the stairs... alas, I can't even afford to imagine what that would cost haha.
February 4, 2014 at 3:57pm   
Ryan Fitzgerald
Oh, and if anyone asks: the wall that runs the length of the house is structural. When I take it out, I will need to put a header up.
February 5, 2014 at 2:40am   
rinqreation
I hope this layout makes some sense. I gave it a try too.
Moved quite a lot of doorways to keep flow, but had no idea where to put the front door (is it a closed porch, a hallway, or..?) so I just enlarged the space (and forgot to place back a porch door).
Kept plumbing is mostly the same, even though I moved the kitchen. Dutch people are used to enter the kitchen when coming from the back of the house and entering the living from the front, so I went with my gut feelings.
Even though an ensuite bath might be nice, the north corner seemed better for a bedroom because it stays cooler in summer and a south and garden faced kitchen gets nice daylight (NY is about the same latitude as here, so green light on my assumption).
You can use the old chimney (maybe run a new pipe through it). Basement stairs are under the up-stairs, with a backdoor for easy access. Sliding doors in the kitchen for breezy summers. Small back room for whatever purpose you need (study/guest/laundry).
Made two big arches in the structural wall, closed off the bathroom door. All grey blocks are tall cabinets/closets (fridge too). Added some furniture for fun, nothing complete/final.
Tell me your thoughts.
February 11, 2014 at 4:23am        Thanked by Ryan Fitzgerald
Ryan Fitzgerald
Rinq- Thank you! Unfortunately, that chimney is already in use by the oil-fired boiler in the basement, and it is not large enough to add a separate flue for the woodstove. The front area is a glassed-in 3 season porch, divided in the middle. It's an old house, so I think the larger part used to be used as a sleeper porch in the warmer months.
I'm not sure if moving the basement steps underneath the other stairs is doable, but I'll check it out... I have a cistern in the basement, and upon first glance it looks like those stairs would be going right into it.
Thanks again, and I think I might like the idea of moving the kitchen to the back of the house.. it'll be closer to my garden in the backyard that way. :)
February 13, 2014 at 1:53am   
HI -- Ryan -- After going over all the other comments and plans (good ideas in parts ) , I think you should just go with the plan you and your friends worked out . I think that is going to work best considering your budget. Moving stairs is a big deal . We did it ourselves and it worked out but it was major work . Only you know how much you can do and afford . It might be worth it to have an Architect in to see what they would come up with .
February 13, 2014 at 6:43am   
Where is the complete floorplan /layout for this 90 sq ft kitchen??
Where is more of the complete floor plan for this 90...
Kitchen floorplan layout?
We are trying to decide what our future kitchen is...
I adore this kitchen layout - can I get the entire floorplan?
My email is mjthompson04@yahoo.com if you are willing...
Odd Living Room layout... Need Help?! (floorplan inside...)
Hi We have a very large living room in an octagonal...
Porch patio door
Are vertical blinds dated for a porch patio door
Need help with this guest room
This room is very small. I had the head board made...
I need HELP decorating my tiny family room !!!!
Hi there! I need your help, your expert opinion on...
How would you separate the bed from the rest of the room?
The photos are of the same area but taken from different...
Bathroom window covering.
Need Ideas on a bathroom window cover to suit colours...