I need help selecting an area rug to complement my curtains
acoune
I fell in love with this fabric that I saw in HGTV mag. I went on to make drapes. The pattern is so bold, I'm struggling to find an area rug. The one pictured is my old one. Thanks designers!!!!
How about a natural hemp or jute rug with your blues and browns in it? I'd advise you to get one that can sit 1/3 of the way under the 3-seater portion and totally under the chaise part of the sectional and extend 10" past the sofa on each side. Use painter's tape on the floor to help calculate the right size. Perhaps your current rug can work in the foyer. These are 8X10 rugs.
Naturals Solid Pattern Hemp Blue/ Area Rug Naturals Solid Pattern Jute Blue/ Area Rug
February 4, 2014 at 7:57am     
mfwolfe
With the instructions given she may as well have wall to wall carpeting
February 4, 2014 at 8:00am   
Megan Summer Studios
I really love your color scheme! Here are a few fun rug options:
http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/nuLOOM-Moroccan-Trellis-Flatweave-Blue-Wool-Rug-5-x-8/8560913/product.html
http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Allie-Hand-tufted-Abstract-Grey-Blue-Wool-Rug-5-x-76/8162657/product.html
http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Swanky-Blue-Damask-Wool-Rug-5-x-76/8476171/product.html

Also, I love your yellow vase on the right holding the branches. Have you thought about carrying a bit of the yellow through to the rest of the room? Maybe via throw pillow?
http://ak1.ostkcdn.com/images/products/8592382/P15863528.jpg

Best wishes!
February 4, 2014 at 8:11am     
You've done a nice job coordinating with your pillows and throw. Your current rug looks like it goes pretty well, except it is too small. I'll be back and in a bit with some rug suggestions...and if I remember to do it, I will lower your art. ;-)
February 4, 2014 at 8:25am     
Look for something in the blues and greens and browns of the room, but with a very dissimilar pattern from the drapes. Something abstract would probably be perfect. Here are a few that could work, though none of them are quite perfect, IMO.
February 4, 2014 at 8:58am     
Old New House
The size of the rug needs to be larger, like groveraxle shows. What are you thoughts on color?

M+D Old New House http://oldnewhouse.com
February 4, 2014 at 9:12am   
A few more contenders:
February 4, 2014 at 9:17am     
Lion Windows and Doors
I would go with light gray
February 4, 2014 at 9:21am     
Functional Conceptz for Interiors
Groveraxle what program is that you are using?
February 4, 2014 at 9:23am     
Functional Conceptz for Interiors
Agreed....Definitely need a bigger rug...at least 8/10!
February 4, 2014 at 9:25am   
Mark
A few for your consideration
February 4, 2014 at 9:27am   
acoune
This program and selections are all so cool. I had been avoiding patterns because the drapes are so bold. I agree that none are "perfect" I feel like the one with brown provides a little more balance and ties the room together. But the pattern is not my fav.
February 4, 2014 at 9:36am   
Patricia Colwell
Groveaxel I would like to hear what program you use too. I have a really old one and have been looking to upgrade and I love the one you use.
February 4, 2014 at 9:45am   
Patricia Colwell
I would go blue and grey shag or blue and brown. I like the texture
February 4, 2014 at 9:50am     
For those who asked, I use a really old version of Photoshop Elements.
February 4, 2014 at 10:14am     
Mark
One more :)
February 4, 2014 at 10:24am        Thanked by acoune
Functional Conceptz for Interiors
Cool Thanks Groveraxle...What about you Mark? Photoshop as well?
February 4, 2014 at 10:37am   
Functional Conceptz for Interiors
I vote for the last one Mark posted.
February 4, 2014 at 10:38am     
A few more:
February 4, 2014 at 10:38am      Thanked by acoune
abbyjean
I really like that Jute Blue deco posted way up above. Color, but not competing with the drapes, which I do love!

One quick comment......and I know it was not asked for, but since grover lowered the art, you can see the power of art in the room. I just think two pieces stacked by the chair would look nice or even a larger one, but tall and skinny, so to speak. If the one behind the couch to the right of the window were not there, the lamp could be over by the couch and then it could really be used. I think that would make the other piece of art stand out more, too, instead of having two pieces on each side of the window. MY OPINION and sorry if I offended. Easy things to try if you are interested.
February 4, 2014 at 10:43am      Thanked by acoune
abbyjean
It is just so fun to see a relaxing room with the sun shining in and no worries about where to place a tv. The blue pillows are wonderful on the brown. Your side tables are fun and everyone has a place to rest a glass or a book. LOVE it!
February 4, 2014 at 10:46am      Thanked by acoune
Mark
Functional Conceptz for Interiors I use adobe photoshop.
February 4, 2014 at 10:50am     
Kerry Crosby, Ethan Allen Lexington
Since you like HGTV - this is one from the dream home this year.. Great texture and works in many spaces. The pattern is subtle but adds visual interest...
February 4, 2014 at 10:54am        Thanked by acoune
acoune
Thank you to all! I've lowered the art, and it's made a really nice impact. I use to have two pieces of art next to the chair, but my Husband got a hole in one, so we are temporarily high fiving him with the picture the course gave him:) In a perfect world and an endless bank account, I'd get a new table and chairs too! But to me the rug is not to scale as many of you have pointed out. What about a simple area rug with a border? Too lame?
February 4, 2014 at 11:15am   
acoune
It occurred to me that I should probably post the adjoining room. There is a giant turquoise hutch in the kitchen. Do you all still say blue for the rug? I'm thinking it might be over kill? I will not be offend. I'm really enjoying all of your feedback
February 4, 2014 at 11:27am     
Thos. Baker
Wow...lots of great area rug ideas here! Thought I'd throw some in, even though it's hard to beat all those cool pics and ideas from the Photo shop boyz!

Maybe I'm being too safe, but I think solids, tight weaves or braids would create a nice, quiet back drop to the patterned curtains in both rooms. You have created lovely spaces which give off a feeling of relaxation and ease.

Christi, on behalf of Thos. Baker
February 4, 2014 at 11:27am        Thanked by acoune
abbyjean
Seriously........a hole in one! A dream come true! And how nice the course gave him a pic.......and love the high five you are giving him. He gets one from me, too!!!
February 4, 2014 at 11:36am   
abbyjean
What if you just take away the rug? Do you NEED a rug? Is it to cozy up the place? Your dining room sure looks nice without one and your floors are soooo nice!
February 4, 2014 at 11:38am   
acoune
I do want a rug to define and anchor the space. In the case of my kitchen table, I took the road less traveled and went with function over form. My two children have gigantic holes in the sides of there mouths that require me to sweep 2x a day. I was suffering from meal anxiety watching food literally miss their mouths and hit the rug. So I nixed it.
February 4, 2014 at 11:53am     
Lori Dennis, ASID, LEED AP
February 4, 2014 at 11:57am   
abbyjean
Totally understand the rugless dining room.....and love your description. I have a few grandchildren that have the same trouble! They have dogs at their own house....Grandma does not let the dogs inside......so they feel like it is ok as the dogs get some supper then, too.

And yes, anchoring and just coziness is a job of a rug. You need a larger one and one that does not fight with the curtains. The ones just suggested are good ones to consider....safe, but still a dash of color for the space.

Oh! Love the hutch AND the color of it, too!
February 4, 2014 at 12:02pm   
Kerry Crosby, Ethan Allen Lexington
To complement your turquoise hutch and the pattern of the windows - you could always go with a jute ( or sisal )looking rug with a border like you mentioned earlier. That would give you texture and ground your space. I would do a border in black on it to make the rest of your colors pop (or another darker color)... The one below has a white border, but the right style...
February 4, 2014 at 12:07pm   
A few more:
February 4, 2014 at 1:57pm     
leelee
This one's from PB.
February 4, 2014 at 5:41pm        Thanked by acoune
Janet Woods
I vote for the first one in groveraxle's last set of 3.
February 4, 2014 at 5:51pm     
Shobha Bhushan
I think the carpet sent by grover 3rd pic in the first set seemsgood ,but I like thebest as the 2nd one in the 3rd pic sent by groveraxle where the complements seem perfect.
February 4, 2014 at 11:30pm   
Here are three more. The third is one posted earlier by Mark. On the monitor at least, the colors look great, and the pattern is bold without competing with the drapes. It might be worth looking at in person.
February 5, 2014 at 5:26am   
Mark
I found this carpet that blend nicely with the curtains and the wood floor.
February 5, 2014 at 6:08am     
Yeli
I vote for the 4th one in Mark's first comment. I think it makes everything in the room work. It's eye catching, but has some white to rest the eyes and not overwhelm with the print.
February 5, 2014 at 7:01am     
acoune
http://www.potterybarn.com/products/dot-dash-outdoor-rug-blue/ what do you think of pb dot&dash.? Too dark? The curtains are blue gray with a little green.
February 5, 2014 at 2:09pm   
bantam
The dot and dash might be great if it is the right blue. Nice that it is an indoor outdoor since you have kids running around!
February 5, 2014 at 2:17pm   
mcarthurc
I think the second post Mark made is perfect. Has all the colors to pull everything together. Also seems practical for having kids with holes in sides of their mouths. Less liking that anything will show up.
February 5, 2014 at 2:31pm   
Shobha Bhushan
The 3rd one in the second pic by grover also matches ,looks like you have to choose .
February 5, 2014 at 11:53pm   
mcarthurc
Yes. People can give you a lot of ideas and choices but the final decision has to be yours. You're the one that has to live with it. However you might want to see if what ever company you are buying from might offer free return shipping in case you get something you don't like once you have it.
Mark and Goveraxle are doing awesome with the whole photoshop. I have seen them on a couple post now. I wouldn't mind your two advice on my post!!!
February 6, 2014 at 11:54am   
Shobha Bhushan
You can shop thru salvation stores or places which offer reduced prices ,but my suggestion would be make some swatch colors and see how you can blend them,for sure the pics will give you a great idea,if you feel undecided post the pic which seem to confuse you and we at houzz will try and help you decide
February 7, 2014 at 3:43am   
acoune
Here is what I can up with. Any feedback from my helpers?
March 13, 2014 at 5:06pm   
Too narrow and too dark. Look at the size of the one Mark illustrated for you.
March 13, 2014 at 5:26pm     
acoune
It's the size mark and everyone recommended-8x10. I'm interested in suggestions.
March 13, 2014 at 5:38pm   
I agree it's too dark. It's wide enough left to right, but too narrow front to back. How far under the sofa do you have it? Can you pull it just to the edge of the main part of the sectional--so you can't see any floor--and get another foot or so?
March 13, 2014 at 6:23pm   
abbyjean
Like the two pics between the windows. Hmmm.....think I liked the sectional better without the throw on the end....that might add to the heaviness in the room?
March 13, 2014 at 6:26pm   
acoune
I can, but the picture vantage is from my foyer, I'm standing on runner
March 13, 2014 at 6:31pm   
the essentials inside
March 13, 2014 at 7:08pm   
ahay12
Sorry I can't offer any help on the rug, can you tell me where I can find the fabric for the curtains? They are beautiful!
March 13, 2014 at 7:57pm   
Shobha Bhushan
I think the throw looks out of place ,maybe try different sized cushions to give a edge to the room.
March 14, 2014 at 12:26am   
area rug and pillows for my living area to complement backsplash
Need to find an area rug and pillows for my sofa that...
Need help in selecting area rug for living room
Iam looking for suggestions of area rug for my living...
need help with area rug selection
I bought these beautiful curtains and they are on my...
Need help selecting color/pattern for area rug for the dining room.
Our table - counter height - is a rich dark wood with...
I hate this room! It's my playroom/ eating area I want to make it awes
There is a refrigerator round kitchen table small couch...
Help design my country/vintage/modern idk what it is kitchen!
Okay, here is my kitchen. Just had the granite installed...
Renovating multifamily house
We are buying a multifamily house that needs a lot...
counter overhang for seating with backs
I am building a home, I will have a u shaped counter....
Need help updating a bathroom that doesn't have white bath or vanity
Hi, I am re-doing my bathroom as the vanity is peeling...