Need Furniture Advice
mella7
We are on stage 2 of renovating the family room in our home, and it is now time to pick out furniture. We live in the Northeast and our home is a 1970s era ranch. The family room has only one large window, which is north-facing and tends to be very dark. We will repaint the walls most likely a paler shade--possible a neutral ivory or pale gray depending on furniture and ceiling will be painted as well. The fireplace will probably be painted a pale neutral until we have more to spend. We have a young daughter who likes to snack/drink in this room (prior to renovating) and still occasionally spills. My husband has allergies.
In my perfect world, I would love to go with a light neutral performance fabric (gray, oatmeal, or light taupe) on either a sectional or sofa, and use pops of color to liven the room up. My husband insists on leather because he thinks it will be better than steam cleaning performance fabric, and thinks mold and allergens may be an issue with fabric. My question is: Can we get away with a light leather couch in our area, or will this just look wrong? I don't want to go super-modern. Is dark leather the only option? What are your thoughts? I'm just afraid this room is going to look terribly dark. I have attached a photo.
honeypoppet
you need to paint the room, then you will feel much better about it. I suggest a fairly bright white for the ceiling and walls, then the fireplace wall either grey with white brick, or the same white as the other walls, and the brick grey. for the sofas, i agree that fabric would be the nicest, you could probably google non-allergy fabrics, and just have one of those sofas, and the other ones leather, if that's what your hubbie wants. if you got it right, light leather could look ok, but you don't want it to clash with the walls.
February 5, 2014 at 1:42PM      Thanked by mella7
Space & Place Interiors
I would also suggest you be sure to pick the furniture first, as it is 300% easier to coordinate a paint to the color/shade of furnishings than to try and do it the other way around (find leathers/fabrics that go with the paint color you have chosen). I think you could do a light leather, and then use your colorful fabric throw pillows (use hypoallergenic inserts and replace if needed due to damage/wear)…though I have never heard of upholstered goods becoming moldy in the course of normal use (I also have very bad allergies so am sensitive to this). Then if you plan to bring an area rug in, use something with a mix of color that you can pull from for your other accents….and that is dark enough to disguise those spills. :-)
February 5, 2014 at 1:59PM      Thanked by mella7
Need advice on LR furniture
LR is small 13x15. (13' from FP to stair case, 15'...
Need advice on basement furniture
We recently moved into a new house and need finish...
First Time Poster: Need advice on furniture layout, or replacements!
Purpose of Room: Conversation Room and Family Area. What...
Need Advice on Piece of Furniture
I need some advice on what to replace the glass cabinet...
Need advice on furniture selection and arrangement
Building new cluster home with open plan grand room...
Playroom paint
We are turning a media room into a kid playroom. I...
My kitchen
I want to make the kitchen feel larger two room with...
Duplex design but looking like a one house from exterior
I have an existing house in Sydney Australia. On the...
need help with my small bathroom
I'M RENOVATIONG MY BATH, I'VE CHOSEN FLOOR TILES, HOW...