Floor tiles
Jesus Dev
We are planning to put tile lighter in color than the attached picture in foyer and kitchen and dark hardwood in family room.
Any idea on how the combination of this color tile will look with hardwood floors ?
honeypoppet
It should look ok, as long as the colors are all neutral and the same kind of hue, then they should tone ok.
February 5, 2014 at 1:46pm   
saratogaswizzlestick
I don't think it will look good to have real hardwood next to tile hardwood but I do like both separately.
February 5, 2014 at 1:51pm   
honeypoppet
can you take a picture of them together...it's kinda difficult to tell from the other pix. you could put a strip inbetween them just to split the colour up...a stainless steel or a completely different wood color.
February 5, 2014 at 1:52pm   
Cancork Floor Inc.
The strong contrast will make for strong design features in each room. Dark against light flooring is a bold step that can work magnificently - or flop - depending on products chosen, colours and furnishings used in the space.

I like to keep things simple - no more than 3 or 4 "design colours" (my phrase...nothing official) visible from any given spot in any room. Light flooring next to dark hardwood = 2 colours. Wall colour (other than white) is 3. Can you see cupboards in a different colour? That's 4 colours. How about furnishings in each room? Or other floors? You could be up to 7-8 design colours before you step into the hallway. Tone-on-tone colours don't "count". They become "part" of the "main" colour.

This can be minimized if you use the same colours that you see in the kitchen in the the area with the hardwood (like wall colour) and the same for the kitchen cabinets/counter tops/backsplash having a strong likeness to the hardwood. A tone-on-tone approach works very well. You may not want DARK cabinets...but cabinets stained a 2-3 shades lighter than the dark hardwood would help tie everything together...without adding in another "design colour". This adds elegance and "flow" to a space that screams out EXPENSIVE DESIGNER WORKING HERE!

Example: I've just had a client try to "add" a kitchen floor that would work with 3 different wood finishes (honey oak in dining room and Jacobean stained maple hardwood in living room) with blood-red cherry stained cabinets with both white AND black counter tops AND a black island! He wants a floor that will work with all of the colours of the wood, the counter tops AND stainless steel appliances. OOPS. Needless to say he will probably have to go with white or black flooring - which he doesn't want to do. None of his woods come close to matching which means his want for a "gray" that works with 6 different colours is probably not going to happen. And yes...you can see all 5 design colours from anywhere in the three ajoining rooms. He has yet to decide his back splash. He was thinking stainless steel or a mosaic tile in gray.

You can see how this is "too much". Keep it simple. Bold is beautiful when done with a "full picture" view of the house, the flow and the odds & sods that make up a home.
February 5, 2014 at 2:14pm   
Jesus Dev
Floor tile and hardwood floors
February 12, 2014 at 4:15pm   
Jesus Dev
Complete color palette.
February 12, 2014 at 4:16pm   
Jesus Dev
February 12, 2014 at 4:17pm   
Jesus Dev
Thanks for your response. In the uploaded photos the long rectangular Borneo tile we are planning to put in kitchen and foyer and wood in family room. I have also attached the kitchen cabinet color.

Do you think complete color palette will compliment each other or it will be a strong contrast.
February 12, 2014 at 4:21pm   
lawaldrep
Hi. I have worked for both a hardwood company and currently a tile company. My home right now has an older 3-1/4" oak solid floor along with a darker traditional parquet. We wanted to add tile in a sun room and the laundry room and went with a 6x6 wood look tile to mimic the parquet but not match. I absolutely love the result. It is adjacent to the 3-1/4" honey wood planks, but is a darker Brazillian Cherry tone. because it harkens another material in the home, they work well together. Don't be afraid to mix color and material, or pattern, but just make sure they all tie back together in some way for synchronicity.
February 12, 2014 at 4:22pm   
First Time Homebuyer, Kitchen Painting Dilemma
Our kitchen is open to the dining room which has a...
bath fixtures: chrome or burnished nickle?
Is chrome a desired finish again? My house is mostly...
Front yard
Looking for some suggestions for the front yard for...
Need help with this guest room
This room is very small. I had the head board made...
Front door colour
I'm stuck with these house colours for awhile. Soft...