Kitchen Help
gmh123
I just made an offer on a house I really want. The only problem is the kitchen. I think the footprint is OK, appliances nice, but the layout is not good. Both the refrigerator and the stove are crammed too close to the corners. There is a high ceiling but the cabinets are small and there isn't much storage, no pantry cabinet. The peninsula is the only real counter space. On the right wall, by the refrig, there is room to add more where the plant is in the photo. On the other side of the refrig is a very narrow slice of cabinet and counter, about 24 inches wide. I want to keep the slider where it is. The kitchen opens to the dining area and living room. I have a small budget, so would like to use existing cabinets but am OK with painting them to match new additional ones. I already own a nice freestanding island I could include. The space is 10 x 12.9. The kitchen does not look good from the rest of the house either. Is there any hope for this kitchen?
sharonandmarc
Absolutely! You'll have a lot of space on the wall where the fridge is currently placed. If having the fridge in the corner bothers you, you can move it to the right near the peninsula and there is lots of room to add cabinets if you want. Good luck!
February 5, 2014 at 5:20PM        Thanked by gmh123
pcmom1
Seems like the frig should be where the stove is. Then that whole wall opposite the sink can be for the stove and more counter space and small pantry.

Put your freestanding island in the middle in front of the slider.
February 5, 2014 at 5:26PM      Thanked by gmh123
New England Kitchens
I would put stove on fridge wall with more cabinets remove the peninsula and add an island.
February 5, 2014 at 5:28PM        Thanked by gmh123
New England Kitchens
I would also use taller wall cabinets and use moulding and crown to go to the ceiling.
February 5, 2014 at 5:29PM        Thanked by gmh123
gmh123
Thank you so much! I was having trouble getting my mind around the peninsula, and agree that swapping the stove and refrig opens up options I had not thought of!
February 5, 2014 at 5:35PM   
Classical Home Design, Inc. by Susan Berry
You have plenty of room to add another set of cabinets on top of the existing cabinets and cabinets next to the fridge. It looks like someone did the cheapest kitchen remodel job that they could get away with. The fridge should be in the stove location, but my guess is that it is too wide to fit. The upper cabinets are set for a fridge and are a bit high for the hood. If the fridge can fit, I would move it there. The stove should be centered on the opposite wall with cabinets and maybe a pantry cabinet to the side. If you decide to buy the house, take some photos and a cabinet door or drawer around to some local cabinet shops. Chances are that they bough stock cabinets from Lowes or Home Depot and assembled them themselves. You should be able to match them for a low price. The counter tops also look like the pre-made laminate ones you can buy at the local lumber store. Good Luck.
February 5, 2014 at 5:37PM      Thanked by gmh123
You can make a cute and inexpensive center island from an old dresser mounted on wheels with a butcher block counter top (you can buy and have it cut at Home Depot.).
February 5, 2014 at 5:39PM      Thanked by gmh123
newman1958
Keep your base cabinets. New England kitchens suggested taller cabinets for the top with crown moulding. By adding taller and a wide cabinet over fridge you can store large objects that is used less often. Then run base cabinets from fridge as far as the peninsula is. Use your rolling island by the stove and sink when you are cooking or washing up
February 5, 2014 at 5:40PM      Thanked by gmh123
gmh123
This house is in a sub development and I am pretty sure this is the contractor kitchen. Thank you Susan, good ideas to make this work and save on costs. Newman1958 , I appreciate the visual of the cabinets.
February 5, 2014 at 5:53PM   
jillmeng
as you said you are on a small budget and need to use the existing cabinets. get some nice crown molding up there. Then put some cool hardware on the cabinets. I think the frig is what would be a visual issue from the living area...i am never one to close something in but maybe a wall that comes out 24 inches and to the ceiling at the carpet edge or a pantry cabinet that goes floor to top of fridge. just a couple thoughts from a woman who has had 18 kitchens.
February 5, 2014 at 7:08PM      Thanked by gmh123
gmh123
Yes, it's that fridg edge bugging me....that's a good idea....thank you!
February 5, 2014 at 7:28PM   
It all started with the island
But then i realized… This kitchen needs more than...
need help for my living room
what ıs wrong with thıs room ? Do ı need to take...
Mixture of different styles
I´m planning to get rid of some furniture and buy...
What to do with revolting internal brick walls?
Hello we are looking to buy an 80's style double brick...
Hardwood not allowed according to pros for curved hallway
Currently have carpet which I hate in my upstairs hallway....