What size drapes do I purchase?
Lynda
I think I have finally decided on drapes for my living room french doors. The total width of the doors and side windows are 105". The ceilings are 10 ft. tall, so I had planned to get the 96" panels? I've had one PB "designer" tell me I only needed one 50" panel for each side and I've had another tell me I should have 2. The drapes will really just be for looks, not so much function, as we don't need for privacy. The drapes I like are the PB Emery in Sable. They do not come in double panels, so if you think I should have 2, will that look funny to have 2 panels next to each other on each side (will it be noticeable)?
Other suggestions regarding different drapes are also welcome.
One 50"panel each side
Two 50" panels on each side
Other
gmh123
I love your room! I would want the drapes hung at about the same height as the height of the bookcases flanking the fireplace, which might mean 96 inch drapes. Assuming the drapes are full in width and not skimpy, I would opt for one panel on each end keeping the inside edge of the drapes just outside the narrow window panels, not totally covering them.
3 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Lynda    February 6, 2014 at 1:57PM
SK Designs
Drapery panels, even in stationary, should "appear" to be full enough, or nearly full enough, to be functional. Let's pretend you wanted to cover the full width of the doors and windows, and to be able to have the panels clear the glass when opened (known as stackback). Industry standard is 2.5x fullness...so to cover 105" of window space, you would need 5 widths of fabric (2.5 widths per panel) to create a standard pinch pleated drapery. If you wanted to be able to clear the glass completely as mentioned above, you would need another full width per panel. So, theoretically, for fully functional traversing panels that would cover the window and doors completely when closed, and would stackback to clear the windows completely when opened, you would need at least 7 widths of fabric. Assuming that you want to be able to keep the windows and doors cleared by the panels to maintain your light and view, you could feasibly use 2 widths per panel. Although this would not technically cover the full coverage mentioned above, it is closer than one width per window side, and resembles more a fully functioning drapery panel, without the expense of full coverage.
Are the panels pleated? Typically ready made panels are made with one width of fabric (54"), which, once pleated and with side hems installed, becomes about 18-20" when flat (not compressed as they are when they are pushed together as they are when opened to clear the window).
Regarding the height, I recommend the 96" panels. Higher and longer is better than shorter.
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Lynda    February 6, 2014 at 4:16PM
abbyjean
I have no advice at all regarding the drapes.....BUT......I seriously was JUST thinking about you and this room! One of my favorites and how fun to see it again!!!! What all has been going on in your life and home these past days???
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by Lynda    February 6, 2014 at 6:00PM
Pacific Coast Drapery Manufacturing
When buying ready-made draperies distinguishing between finished width and the width of the fabric when laid flat is tough. Generally that size window would look best with two widths on each side if you were going to tie them back. 1 1/2 panels on each side looks better as a straight panel but one width at about 18' wide when gathered will work. Get them custom made at a width and a half and you will be happier.
    Bookmark   Thanked by Lynda    February 6, 2014 at 7:51PM
Lynda
Thanks everyone... good info. Still leaves me undecided as now the vote is 7-4 lol
    Bookmark   February 7, 2014 at 6:28AM
Lynda
Hi abbyjean. Good to hear from you! Life is crazy here - the holidays and my work travel schedule has left my decorating at a standstill. I am now trying to get a few things done. Every time I walk in the house I think, those doors need some drapes. So, that is my first design dilema this year! :-)
    Bookmark   February 7, 2014 at 6:31AM
abbyjean
Start out with one panel and step back and see how it looks. You can add another if you think it looks skimpy. OR get two and make sure they allow returns if it is too much and you think you can tell there are two there.
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Lynda    February 7, 2014 at 6:33AM
abbyjean
The good thing is.....you have chosen the drapes and the size. Deciding how many will be easy compared to the rest of those choices. Could be a fun project to complete this weekend, huh?
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by Lynda    February 7, 2014 at 6:33AM
Studio M Interior Design
Go for two for a fuller look. But I agree with the comments above, try out one pair first and see if you're happy with the look. Speaking from experience though, buy two sets so that if you decide you need another pair you already have one on hand and there's not a chance that they'll be discontinued before you can make a decision.
2 Likes    Bookmark   February 7, 2014 at 7:36AM
Lynda
So here they are with one panel. How do they look? I am thinking one panel looks full enough, but I am not sure I have them placed correctly? They are extending 11" beyond the side windows, but they are still covering the window slightly. Is that OK?
1 Like    Bookmark   February 23, 2014 at 6:48PM
abbyjean
I think one panel looks awesome! I also like how you can see part of the window or move them either way to show more or less. OPTIONS are wonderful!
1 Like    Bookmark   February 23, 2014 at 6:57PM
Lynda
Thanks abbeyjean. I think since I've gone without any drapes on these doors for 5 months, it just looks strange to me. Lol.
I think I'll start on the nook windows and bench next. :-)
    Bookmark   February 23, 2014 at 7:13PM
abbyjean
Makes it even more cozy in your space now. I admire your patience with all you are doing here. BUT it is also your patience that has helped make the right decisions.
    Bookmark   February 23, 2014 at 7:27PM
abbyjean
Yes, what is the plan for the nook?
    Bookmark   February 23, 2014 at 7:28PM
Lynda
Not sure - I think I'll post another design dilemma for that room :-)
    Bookmark   February 24, 2014 at 3:32PM
Best Paint Color with Honey Oak Cabinets?
Hello, I have honey oak cabinets in my home. I would...
Stacy Merrill
Do these pillows match??
Help! I'm not good with matching. Do these yellow pillows...
schillinger
Please help!
I really need help with my entrance, sunken living...
sarahdallan
HELP ME - I MADE A BIG OVERSIGHT IN SHOWER DESIGN! AGH.
Okay, I know it's minor and there are much worse things...
Sherry
Photos to ideabook
Just spent hours going thru thousands of photos, saving...
briangott