Vinyl vs hardwood vs engineer hardwood
thaden1
February 6, 2014 in Design Dilemma
I'm building a somewhat rustic, craftsman house. Cedar beams, cedar columns, stone fireplace & accents. I've seen a vinyl plank floor that looks nice, but I want to make sure it's going to fit the style of the house. I'm hesitating on getting hardwood because our current floor scratches & dents sooo easily. I have baby boys & don't want the floor messed that easily. Recommendations? Opinions?
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
hayleydaniels
Besides the comments you get on here, google the products you're considering with the word 'reviews' to see what others like and don't like about them. Places like Home Depot and Lumber Liquidators have reviews of products they sell with pictures people post of their floors. People tend to review things they love and hate, and will tell you why.
February 6, 2014 at 1:11pm     
PRO
Hoebeke Builders, Inc. / The BuildCHX App
We wouldn't trade for our handscraped oak floors! Shown in the picture (sorry about our granddaughter's refrigerator) these floors have had kids, trikes, dogs, claws, you name it and we've had it! They just keep looking better and better. Two primary ways to finish them: polyeurthane or wax. The wax is harder to maintain initially but you can touch up accidents like pet urine without having to re-do the whole floor. Not so with polyeurthane. It will not spot touch up, and re-doing a whole room sure smells bad for a long time. We have wax and love it.
February 6, 2014 at 3:11pm     
chrishayden57
Either go with the hand scraped and embrace the scratches and dings or go with a the aluminum oxide coated pre finished. I installed a floor with this ceramic finish and it's very durable. Two years old and no marks despite two dogs and one last kiddo still here.
February 6, 2014 at 3:22pm     
PRO
MAJ Interiors
Vinyl has come a long way as a product, but still nothing beats the warm feel and beauty of natural hardwood. There are different types of hardwood available and they vary in grain, colour, width and strength. I would recommend looking into bamboo hardwood. It's got great strength and durability. Bamboo flooring can be very affordable and is considered eco friendly, an extra bonus! Again it varies in colour and look but overall it's got an interesting textured look.
February 6, 2014 at 3:37pm