Vinyl vs hardwood vs engineer hardwood
thaden1
I'm building a somewhat rustic, craftsman house. Cedar beams, cedar columns, stone fireplace & accents. I've seen a vinyl plank floor that looks nice, but I want to make sure it's going to fit the style of the house. I'm hesitating on getting hardwood because our current floor scratches & dents sooo easily. I have baby boys & don't want the floor messed that easily. Recommendations? Opinions?
hayleydaniels
Besides the comments you get on here, google the products you're considering with the word 'reviews' to see what others like and don't like about them. Places like Home Depot and Lumber Liquidators have reviews of products they sell with pictures people post of their floors. People tend to review things they love and hate, and will tell you why.
February 6, 2014 at 1:11pm     
Hoebeke Builders, Inc. / The BuildCHX App
We wouldn't trade for our handscraped oak floors! Shown in the picture (sorry about our granddaughter's refrigerator) these floors have had kids, trikes, dogs, claws, you name it and we've had it! They just keep looking better and better. Two primary ways to finish them: polyeurthane or wax. The wax is harder to maintain initially but you can touch up accidents like pet urine without having to re-do the whole floor. Not so with polyeurthane. It will not spot touch up, and re-doing a whole room sure smells bad for a long time. We have wax and love it.
February 6, 2014 at 3:11pm     
chrishayden57
Either go with the hand scraped and embrace the scratches and dings or go with a the aluminum oxide coated pre finished. I installed a floor with this ceramic finish and it's very durable. Two years old and no marks despite two dogs and one last kiddo still here.
February 6, 2014 at 3:22pm     
MAJ Interiors
Vinyl has come a long way as a product, but still nothing beats the warm feel and beauty of natural hardwood. There are different types of hardwood available and they vary in grain, colour, width and strength. I would recommend looking into bamboo hardwood. It's got great strength and durability. Bamboo flooring can be very affordable and is considered eco friendly, an extra bonus! Again it varies in colour and look but overall it's got an interesting textured look.
February 6, 2014 at 3:37pm     
Luxury Vinyl vs. Engineered Hardwood
Help! My husband and I are planning to build a new...
Laminate vs. Engineered Hardwood vs. Hardwood
We are preparing to redo the flooring in DR Kit LR...
laminate vs hardwood vs vinyl vs carpeting in house with pets
I want to get rid of the 29 year old carpeting in my...
Hardwood vs laminate vs engineered
We have a large dog and need to know how each type...
Solid hardwood vs. engineered hardwood floors
We're doing a full house remodel and need to select...
Patio
As you can see, our condo patio is pretty bare. I'd...
Would you dare to paint your ceiling?
Most people forget that the ceiling is the fifth wall...
Repainting Brick Options - Baltimore Row Home
What would be the most cost-effective way to get the...
How do you accessorise your bed?
Some people love piling on cushions on their beds,...
A trend that should end
Are there any interior design trends at the moment...