Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
swissmiss03

Desperately in need of help with Entree

swissmiss03
10 years ago
last modified: 10 years ago
Hi there, for the past five years I have wrestled with this entryway. Two interior Designers and my favorite furniture store Consultant did not come up with the right feel. We are two parents with three children aged 17, 15 and 7. The whole Family enters the house through the Garage in the cellar and there we keep all shoes, jackets etc. This main door is only opened when guests come. The issue is, this entry is on a half floor down from main floor. Whenever we move from from kitchen/Dining area to living room we pass it and can see down into it. I like many styles, Colors or nudes, modern to Retro fifties. I would love to hear your ideas and thank you in advance! PS Disregard all furniture you see in pics.

Comments (15)

• janeinfo
    10 years ago
    I think something simple and modern would go with your existing style. Something like this.

Lavendale Residence · More Info
    swissmiss03 thanked janeinfo
  • swissmiss03
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Sounds great, thanks for the Input!
  • Mark
    10 years ago
    You have some nice pieces of art, I would make the entrance an art gallery. Hang your art and then get a really cool entrance bench something that can float in the middle of the room, something that looks like a piece of sculpture itself. It would make a great first impression walking into a setting like this.
  • swissmiss03
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Hi Mark, thanks for your Feedback - greatly appreciated! Are these benches in the Picture? They look awesome
  • Mark
    10 years ago
    Yes they are benches, and yes they are awesome. I wanted a visual that showed a bench that was like sculpture. I wish I could have had more time to find something that wasn't so expensive, but just wanted you to get a good idea of what I meant by the bench looking like art.
  • brendakusan
    10 years ago
    Start with the nook, where the three pieces of art sitting on the floor. Paint the two walls in one of the vibrant colours in the centre art piece. Agree with Mark, place a bench in the centre of the nook to create the feeling of a gallery space. Once this is established, the rest will follow. Given the other pics of your house, you have great taste, you just need a starting point.
  • stuntchick
    10 years ago
    needs a console table with maybe a karge modern sculpture . the other wall maybe a very large piece of art. your home is great
  • PRO
    Bahir Custom Lighting & Decor
    10 years ago
    The light looks too small for the area. A larger, simple chandelier such as
    Kadur Chandelier - Blown Glass Pendant Lighting · More Info
    or
    Cloud Chandelier - Blown Glass Pendant Lighting · More Info
    You can choose the number of pendants - 9 to 13 would be good in that space.
  • printesa
    10 years ago
    You have a large room there. I really like your living room as well.
    I like the idea that Mark mentioned. That bench is beautiful, but I remember that it has quite a price tag.
    You could get a nice MCM sideboard for the area where you now have the mirror. Above it. you can add two large mirrors. For the wall where you have those painting, you can hang the paintings there, just like in a gallery and have a bench away from the wall so that one can sit down and admire the art. The bench can also be used for seating down and getting the shoes on/off. There are some really nice benches done by Orange 22. I have several of their side/coffee tables and they are beautiful. They come in different colors and designs so you can either go with something subtle or with a bold color, such as orange.
    Botanist Albero Bench, Aqua Blue Satin · More Info
  • PRO
    LEICHT New York
    10 years ago
    You may want to consider this modular wall system to define the space and provide extra storage as well. You can choose drawers and shelves in any color/material and the best part is they are completely interchangeable.

NYC Showroom · More Info

https://www.houzz.com/photos/2013-collection-contemporary-home-office-new-york-phvw-vp~3863941

Best of luck! Let us know if you have any questions.
  • swissmiss03
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you all so much for your valuable input! Best regards, Michelle
  • PRO
    ASVInteriors
    10 years ago
    As you like so many styles, it is hard to suggest something precise but would love to throw a few ideas out there. I think the idea of something sensational is definitely the right track.However, no one has suggested an amazing rug. After all, as you walk by it you have a fantastic vantage point from above looking down.As your current environment (4 years old?) shows white and wood, I thought an overdyed or aged rug might be of interest or something that is clearly not walked up often and thus can really amp up the volume https://www.houzz.com/photos/living-room-eclectic-living-room-phvw-vp~84521 also agree about lighting. Right now the trend for naked bulbs is hot. And an idea such as this would be more interesting - particularly the looping that you can add to your arched ceiling
    Noe Valley Entry · More Info
    I would address the niche - which I feel could be painted a dramatic colour or have a huge photograph leant against it... and possibly one bright barcelona chair in front of it. https://www.houzz.com/photos/9th-street-brownstone-contemporary-living-room-new-york-phvw-vp~81231
  • swissmiss03
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Dear ASV, thanks so much for taking the time. I think your ideas are awesome.