Soul-sucking brick wall: to paint or not to paint?
saschup
February 9, 2014 in Polls
Don't you agree this wall has a presence that overtakes the room? Shouldn't it be painted? Or *something*?? The man in the house likes the man-cave look and feel, but it's not a man-cave, it's the main living area. Any advice or convincing evidence would help. Thanks!
Yes, please paint some life into room!
No, 80's man-cave look is great!
Eagle Interior Designs
If you'd painted the walls a deep rust red, added alot of cozy lighting and went with dark brown/ black furniture/ accessories this place would take the look of a cool man-cave/ cozy coffee shop....
February 9, 2014 at 7:11PM        Thanked by saschup
Amy Stanley
Can you add a mantle that is a whole lot of brick for a tiny little fireplace?
February 9, 2014 at 7:20PM        Thanked by saschup
Darla Scheuerman
Mantel, sconces, add more to it. Take control of that wall! :)
February 9, 2014 at 7:30PM        Thanked by saschup
saschup
But where would it go? Right above? All the way across?
February 9, 2014 at 7:33PM   
Janelle
Don't paint it... It just needs a mantle and great artwork
February 9, 2014 at 7:40PM        Thanked by saschup
Janelle
February 10, 2014 at 6:30AM        Thanked by saschup
Janelle
February 10, 2014 at 6:31AM        Thanked by saschup
jn3344
Whitewash the brick. This is a good look. You can go more masculine on the furniture choices and still keep it light and airy looking.

]
February 10, 2014 at 6:34AM        Thanked by saschup
Belle Chaise
You could add a white painted mantle that would surround the fireplace. See attached.
February 10, 2014 at 6:58AM        Thanked by saschup
ErthCOVERINGS
A whitewash can do wonders! You can also use ErthCOVERINGS stone veneers to get a whole new look. installs easily over existing brick! Great for feature walls and fireplaces. You can also break up the wall by adding cabinetry to either side of the fireplace! www.erthcoverings.com
February 10, 2014 at 8:45AM        Thanked by saschup
jn3344
Did you see this person's before and after? Very similar to your dilemma.

http://www.houzz.com/discussions/844754/Don-t-be-afraid-of-white-wash-
February 11, 2014 at 4:40AM        Thanked by saschup
rocketjcat
I see 2 vertical seams running up the brick about 2-3 feet in from each side, so I think this fireplace wall may have started its life smaller, then been added to later? I don't know what kind of mess it would make, but perhaps if you shrank it back down to its original size it would look a little less overpowering. Then the whitewash mentioned above in the link and the mantle. Only doing one coat of the whitewash may still keep enough color variation to keep the hubby happy.
February 11, 2014 at 5:20AM        Thanked by saschup
HI -- That is not very nice looking brick , so I say paint it . Good cleaning with TSP and then a primer and then spray paint with a good masonry paint . I don't think a white wash is enough . Or you could clad it in a new stone .
February 11, 2014 at 6:05AM        Thanked by saschup
Virtus Design
Agreed with the above comments that adding a mantle will make a noticeable difference!
February 11, 2014 at 6:13AM        Thanked by saschup
saschup
Thanks everyone -- I really appreciate the input. All great ideas and several things I never even considered!
February 11, 2014 at 8:20PM     
Shuler Architecture
I'm going to throw out the same idea that a lot of others have here. Try adding a wood mantle to break up the monotony of the brick. I like the wash idea too but I would experiment on a few loose bricks before applying to the wall. Here is an idea I used in one of my designs:Mercer Island Waterfront Estate 1
Mercer Island Waterfront Estate 2
February 11, 2014 at 8:26PM        Thanked by saschup
janethumphreys
With a little updating your fireplace could be stunning! I love the wall to wall hearth but not so much the wall to wall brick wall. I would add hearth to ceiling book cases (that sit right on the hearth) on either side of the fireplace then add a chunky wood mantel that would span between the bookcases. I would also whitewash all the brick that is left exposed, and add more whitewash to the darker bricks so there is a more uniform colour and not so much contrast between the brick colours. Good luck!
February 11, 2014 at 9:32PM        Thanked by saschup
Teneik Martin
I definitely agree with the whitewashing! That is what I plan to do with mine. I have very dark built in cabinets next to mine, with mantle to ceiling book shelves. I want to whitewash the brick and paint the rest white (except the back wall of the bookshelves). I need to have that dark wall stop sucking the life out of the room as well!

I definitely feel your pain on the man cave dilemma though. After almost 10 years in our house, I finally convinced the husband to let go of our dark paneled living room walls and dark green carpet.
February 12, 2014 at 8:14AM        Thanked by saschup
alleykat1915
I think this really depends on your style.

In one of my design classes in school we took a wall and did five or more designs that could change the room but at then end of the day for you to be happy with your home it has to be based off of what you like.

taking a beam all the way across would work as well as doing a 3' over hang from the fireplace.

a fully molded framing to the fireplace would also work.

you could add interest by adding shelves one both sides and make it look like a built in.

I think we could help you more if we knew if your style was modern or traditional or transitional. I hope you find the solution you need.
February 12, 2014 at 1:16PM        Thanked by saschup
Keep or tear down and start over?
BEAUTIFUL 5 Acre LOT w funky house.. In a quandary...
Front Door Colour? Landscape?
So, we have listed to sell our house, it is a boring...
Office Space
I'm trying to decide what do do with this space. I'd...
What color for LR/DR walls?
I've done so much painting, re painting and decorating...
Needs Sprucing Up
I would like to spruce up this area with maybe some...