WHAT TO DO WITH MASTER BEDROOM...
Chris Marvel
My bedroom is quite large. We haven't done anything to it since we have moved in. The walls are bare and we have so much space. We don't know what to do or layout or anything. HELP!!!
mcbmd3
You need inspiration. Get a starting point by purchasing a rug or new bed linens and go from there. Also check out the bedrooms on Houzz for more ideas and inspiration.
February 10, 2014 at 7:41pm   
karen paul interiors
There is a wall missing in your photos. I would not want the sofa/ottoman to over run the door(s) as is the case at the moment. If you show the final wall, perhaps the room can be reconfigured. Also, do you have any ideas regarding style and colors that you especially like? You have the seating in the bedroom and I am wondering if this is an area that is actually functional for you? Do you have a TV in this room?
February 10, 2014 at 7:51pm     
Chris Marvel
Karen...we took the tv out but want to add a larger one onto a wall. We don't have any colors in mind either.
February 10, 2014 at 7:59pm   
Brooke Finnigan
You guys have a great space - so much room. I'm with the other commenters - clip/ bookmark some pics here and post them so we can see the kind of style you like. The space is so big it looks like you could do an accent wall in a bold colour and keep the other walls neutral. Would live to see the couch turn in to a real nook, with a large, modern lamp - the room is big enough to create two spaces.
February 10, 2014 at 8:12pm     
Brooke Finnigan
Lamp example for by your couch:
February 10, 2014 at 8:57pm   
Kiyohara Moffitt
You either have very tall doors or low ceilings. The ceiling should be painted a white, not the wall color. Add some crown moulding to the room. You can put a chest or upholstered bench at the foot of the bed. If you want, the chest could house a tv on a lift so it comes up when you want to watch and goes down when you don't. That would put the tv at good viewing distance when in bed. If you wall mount a flat screen, I would get rid of the sofa and get some comfy swivel club chairs and a round coffee table and have the chairs arranged away from that wall so you can watch tv. You seem to have the floor space to "float " the furniture. Pushing pieces against the walls just emphasizes the floor space.
And of course you need a rug. I would put one under those chairs I mentioned.
February 10, 2014 at 9:23pm     
jacey22
What kind of feel do you want your room to have? What will you use your room for besides sleeping? Will you retreat there, go there to specifically watch tv, etc? You have a huge couch in there, is that on purpose? Is the window behind the bed?
Also, what colors are you drawn to? What colors do you NOT like?
Asking and answering a few questions can start your process.
If it were my room and with MY taste for instance, I don't need a big couch in my bedroom. I'd prefer a couple of comfy chairs, even a chaise in the corner where I could set up a reading nook. I am not a fan of wall mounted tvs, especially if you're viewing from afar. In bedrooms they remind me of hospital rooms. (Just me) I'd prefer a cool console table, shelving unit or armoire to house a TV.

You need a couple of night stands, don't need to match, but should be same height. Some nice lamps. Depending on whether you like pattern or solid, I'd choose a nice soft rug to anchor under the bed to step out onto.
Choose your bedding, then pull a color out of it and paint your walls. A few pieces of large artwork and some decorative pieces like a fun chandelier or light hanging from ceiling, some drapes and you're done. You don't need to fill the room with lots of "stuff" just because it's big.

Could you post pic looking from door into room? Also the missing wall that we haven't seen? How big is the room actually? You could use two rugs possibly depending on furniture placement.
February 10, 2014 at 9:57pm     
Chris Marvel
The OTHER WALL
February 10, 2014 at 10:06pm   
I agree with Karen; the sofa needs to move. It looks like the door to the bedroom opens into it. Is there a master bath? Where does the door behind the sofa go?

From these pictures, it looks like you have the best furniture arrangement you're going to get, especially if you intend to watch TV from bed. The current sofa wall is the only place it can really go. So your next move is to define your style or how you'd like the room to look.
February 10, 2014 at 10:08pm     
Chris Marvel
The small door behind the couch is a crawl space. The bathroom is next to the closet. I like royal colors for a bedroom. The couch needs to be in the basement! Does the bed need to move from window? The window isn't to the floor.
THANK YOU ALL!!!!! My wife loves the responses as it is giving us great ideas!
February 10, 2014 at 10:11pm   
I went with greige for the walls since that was a color you liked in your ideabook. Then I had to replace that ceiling light. The one you have now could put someone's eye out. A console with TV on the far wall and a couple of small chairs from West Elm replace the sofa. A huge flokati rug under the bed takes care of the tootsies. Last thing: close those closet doors. The bedroom will seem much calmer if you're not reminded that you have to get dressed and go to work in the morning.
February 10, 2014 at 11:09pm     
What are royal colors?
February 10, 2014 at 11:10pm     
I'm guessing royal colors means not-brown? LOL
February 10, 2014 at 11:11pm     
Just noticed the teal bedspread. Excellent. Teal and brown is a great combination.
February 10, 2014 at 11:21pm     
Chris Marvel
GroverAxle thank you so much for the visual!!! What app are you using to do that? We have the creative juices flowing now!!!
February 11, 2014 at 4:29am   
jacey22
The favorite master I had was royal colors with a warm neutral base. Unfortunately when we upgraded to a King bed I couldn't find bedding compared to what I had so I changed things up a bit but nothing has compared since. I had a beautiful deep moss/emerald thin green duvet cover, lots of mixed pillows, with beading, tassels, mix of colors, purples, golds etc. a VERY understated Moroccan feeling I'd guess you could almost say. Never went over board cause that's not my my style. Now I have a solid chocolate brown comforter that all or some of those pillows I can use through the year. I try not to ever limit myself so that I get stuck with pieces if I change things up in the future. Too many lessons learned in the past!
Can't really see your headboard well, but if interested, that's super easy to cover with fabric as well if you want to add some an extra punch and some comfort!
February 11, 2014 at 6:50am     
Chris, I use Photoshop Elements.
February 11, 2014 at 6:51am     
Sustainable Dwellings
Strip the bed, take everything moveable out, study the room to find your own inspiration... I know you will need area rugs and art. Some sumptous bedding would be nice.
February 11, 2014 at 6:55am     
karen paul interiors
Chris, of these jewel tones, pick three and number them one through three in descending order according to your preference.
February 11, 2014 at 9:46am   
West Point Home Center
This room is really large. I admit I don't have a ton of experience in furniture arrangement except in my own house, but I think that when a room is really large it looks nice to pull the furniture pieces away from the wall a little bit. It uses the available space without just filling it with more or larger stuff. One thing I noticed in the photos above is that all of the furniture pieces are pushed all the way up to, and square to, the wall. Is there a way to angle the bed with a bench at the end and take out the large sectional couch and put in a couple smaller separate pieces pulled away from the wall and angle them as well? I'm thinking maybe two big upholstered chairs and possibly two separate area rugs, one larger one for the under the bed and bench and one under the area with the chairs. Just an idea.
February 11, 2014 at 10:05am     
Chris Marvel
Quartz Purple
Black onyx
Ruby red
February 11, 2014 at 10:09am   
lucidos
Hello again! We need dimensions with door and window lengths marked. Rough hand drawn is fine. In a large bedroom you are best creating 2 spaces. That would work great for you when the children are asleep and you want to retreat for some quiet time together.

Your style seems to lean toward American Gothic revival for the bedroom.

In order to pull off the deep rich hues that you are looking for you will need to paint the dresser and end tables and possibly the headboard a high gloss black or rich deep red. I think you need to first decide where things are going. Get us the floor plan and we can go from there.

Some examples of what you seem to be leaning toward:
February 12, 2014 at 5:04pm   
janethumphreys
Currently you have your bed covering the only window in the room. With such a large room, it looks odd. I would move the bed to the largest wall in the room (the wall with the couch?) and make it the star of the room. Add large scale night tables and if you can, replace your headboard with something tall and big. I would move the couch to another room and replace it with a couple of large scale arm chairs. Dress the window with generous proportion side panels. Your closets look small, could you move your bathroom door to another wall and make your 2 small closets into 1 big one? If you need more clothes storage, add a large scale chest of drawers. Good luck!
February 12, 2014 at 7:06pm   
Does anyone know who makes this bedroom??
I want this bed so bad and can't find it anywhere....
Speakers in bathroom - ceiling, wall or shower?
Hi! My husband listens to podcasts and I listen to...
Need help with decorating my downstairs! Please!
The whole downstairs is at issue, but I'll start with...
Kitchen backsplash
Looking for suggestions for my kitchen backsplash and/or...
PAINT IT ALL WHITE?? Or paint bottom bricks light greige/taupe?
We have a small budget (2000) but really need to help...